B. Albopilosum

chritopher

Arachnopeon
Hi guys I have a B.Albopilosum and she has not fed for abut 2 months with mo signs of pre molt. Should I be worried or is this normal.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That speicies usally eats like horses, so i guess she is in premoult? How large was she again? They can go on fasting too, but in my experience, B albopilosum usally dont, if you dont have fed it exessive amount that is!?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Hi guys I have a B.Albopilosum and she has not fed for abut 2 months with mo signs of pre molt. Should I be worried or is this normal.
Not eating for 2 months isn't anything to worry about, I have an adult female A. chalcodes that hasn't eaten in nearly 8 months and I've had a 1.5" B. albiceps refuse food for about 5 months before, they can go a long time without food.

Can you provide pics of the tarantula and setup? Might help us better answer your question or give you pointers if anything is wrong.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A chalcodes normally have fasting periods, B albopilosum in my experience seldom have? I can be wrong though! But as long as the tarantula looks healthy, there is nothing to worry about!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
send a picture of the spider, is the abdomen small or sunken? did it molt and not eat at all for two months? There can be many reasons a T doesn't eat some are rare and some are common. I won't say the rare ones, but sometimes Ts will fast, and they can't eat during post molt, and won't eat during pre molt, after rehouse they will sometimes not eat, after long transport.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A chalcodes normally have fasting periods, B albopilosum in my experience seldom have?
Any tarantula will fast if you cram enough food into it in a short space of time.

The point that I was making was that 2 months without food is a non-issue for a tarantula.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Sometimes it can be difficult to spot signs of premolt, depending on the size of the T. I agree that you should post pictures of your T and setup, it'll give us a better idea of what's going on and how to fix it if there's anything that does need fixed. :)

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
For specimens who refuse to eat, I top off their water dish and wait til next feeding.

chritopher

Arachnopeon
Not eating for 2 months isn't anything to worry about, I have an adult female A. chalcodes that hasn't eaten in nearly 8 months and I've had a 1.5" B. albiceps refuse food for about 5 months before, they can go a long time without food.

Can you provide pics of the tarantula and setup? Might help us better answer your question or give you pointers if anything is wrong.
For specimens who refuse to eat, I top off their water dish and wait til next feeding.
This is her the person i got her off said she fed before i got her i have tried to feed her since but no luck. And she has not molted since i have had her

Attachments

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
This is her the person i got her off said she fed before i got her i have tried to feed her since but no luck. And she has not molted since i have had her
If it helps, I have an AF Nicaraguan B. albopilosum that is almost at a year of refusing to eat, so two months is nothing at all.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Her abdomen is very plump so don't worry about her not eating, just make sure that she has a full water dish.

Is that the current setup in the pic? Could you provide some more pics of the enclosure? It looks like you might need to make some adjustments.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Waterdish and a deep layer of slightly moist substrate and you are good to go! Lovely speicies those B albopilosums!

chritopher

Arachnopeon
That pic is an old one I have put her on a mix of Coco fiber and potting soil I change water every other day temp is at 25c and humidity is at 70%

cold blood

Staff member
That pic is an old one I have put her on a mix of Coco fiber and potting soil I change water every other day temp is at 25c and humidity is at 70%
Do NOT measure humidity....its not relevant.

Temps arent critical either, anything between 68 and 90f is fine.

boina

Lady of the mites
humidity is at 70%
Uh-oh. Depending on where you measure that humidity and how you achieve it that may be too much. B. albos just need a moist spot somewhere and not some specific humidity. Trying to reach these numbers more often than not result in enclosures that are too moist by far.