B. Albopilosum

JLPicard

Arachnosquire
Hello all! I just need some feedback on my current enclosure. I just got my Albo a few hours ago, and I'd like it to thrive for at least a couple more years. It's my first T as well.

Pic (excuse the tilt, lol)
IMG_20151207_123909.jpg

Temperatures range from 17 °C at night (with small 4W heat mat creating a warmer spot) to 24 °C during the day. For the latter I use a lamp, but do cover the terrarium, albeit partially, to prevent excessive light and thermal radiation from getting to it. I know extra heat generally isn't required, but at home we've set the thermostat to 18 °C for as long as I can remember, which I think is simply too cold to keep a T. Humidity is around 70%.

cold blood

Staff member
Get a space heater!!! Mats and lamps are big liabilities, its a spider, not a python:). If its an adult, 65 isn't too bad, but I'd still get it up a few degrees....honestly I'd be pissed if my domicile was kept that cool....I need 67, 68 as a minimum temp....but then, I have been referred to as cold blooded:wink:

Looks great, but I would suggest more empty ground space....every inch of ground is a potential hiding spot for prey items....open places, especially in front of the hide, lead to easier, quicker kills and less keeper hassels (like looking for bolus's and uneaten prey items).

I used to continuously make the same mistake in my attempts for realism, but in truth, I've completely gone away from this direction, simpler is better IME.

Humidity isn't something that should be too much of a concern, just keep water in that dish.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
Albops love to move dirt, so you may wanna give it room to work. Mine excavates and dug many hides and tunnels and is always busy.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I absolutely love the set up. :)
That said, yeah, they do need a little free ground space too. Now, I realize many Ts moult in small burrows, but my adults tend to moult in the open. And while yes, they can moult in some fairly tight spaces, I find mine tend to find a larger open area, build their moult-mat -- and moult in the open with lots of free space around them. My B albo chooses a wider open space to moult. YMMV.

But yeah, that does look like a lovely design; hated to sound even a teensy bit critical.

JLPicard

Arachnosquire
I'll make use of the tips you gave me, cheers! No idea Albos were this much into digging, though. Maybe I should buy mine a safety hat and a miniature head lamp.

I've resigned to the overwhelming amount of people advising in this and other threads to get a space heater, instead of using heat mats and a lamp. I already have some questions, though. I suppose I no longer need a light bulb and a heating mat? Also, is there an optimal way to set one up? I suppose putting it a couple of feet away from the enclosure would just end up overheating it.

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
I'll make use of the tips you gave me, cheers! No idea Albos were this much into digging, though. Maybe I should buy mine a safety hat and a miniature head lamp.

I've resigned to the overwhelming amount of people advising in this and other threads to get a space heater, instead of using heat mats and a lamp. I already have some questions, though. I suppose I no longer need a light bulb and a heating mat? Also, is there an optimal way to set one up? I suppose putting it a couple of feet away from the enclosure would just end up overheating it.
In the general vicinity would be fine. Dont even have to have it pointed in their direction. The space heater will heat the general area around it.

JLPicard

Arachnosquire
Okay, since I already have a thread, I may as well ask it here. I just came home only to find my T having wedged herself between the bark meant for her shelter and the glass of the terrarium. This might sound like a dumb question, but is she stuck, or does she feel as if this will do for hiding? The only way for her to get in the position is via the top of the bark, where there's a small gap between the window and the wood.

This picture has the right orientation. Her "head" is pointed upwards and she seems to be huddled together.
20151211_195748.jpg

Last edited:

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Okay, since I already have a thread, I may as well ask it here. I just came home only to find my T having wedged herself between the bark meant for her shelter and the glass of the terrarium. This might sound like a dumb question, but is she stuck, or does she feel as if this will do for hiding? The only way for her to get in the position is via the top of the bark, where there's a small gap between the window and the wood.

This picture has the right orientation. Her "head" is pointed upwards and she seems to be huddled together.
View attachment 140663
She quite possibly could be just chilling all snug. But upon closer inspection if you think you see something wrong, maybe, pull the bark out a little bit and give her some room to maneuver out.
Maybe fill that gap in with some soil when you get a chance?

JLPicard

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I was thinking of waiting until quite a bit after dark to see what she'd been up to. If she still hasn't shifted by then, I'll try and coax her out gently and fill the gap with some extra soil.

EDIT: Seems she has, indeed, taken residence there, since she sprang out when I put a cricket in front of her and retreated shortly after.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ts know better than you what makes them feel comfortable or not. Just let them do their thing, and watch the beauty of nature.