1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. Albopilosum egg sac

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Skeleton21, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Skeleton21

Skeleton21 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hey guys,

Not new to the boards but new to posting.

I have a female I paired may 30th.
    I didnt first see the egg sauce until August 27th as she created a burrow and covered the entrance 34 days after pairing.

It has now been almost a month since I first saw the sac, I pulled it out to check it out 6 days ago and it looks ok.

I have it back to her and she kept it for a couple days closed the burrow again.

The last few days she has left the egg sac and everytime I check on her she is up top gathering dirt, kinda looks like she is holding the dirt like she was the sac.

I was going to keep the sac with her until the spiderlings came out as I wasnt sure when to pull and incubate. I breed snakes for over 10 years and rathered the letting them hatch with mom over I incubating and egg cutting like they do now.

Just looking for some advice as I've been caring for T's for over 10 years but this is my first time breeding.

I've attached some pics, let me know what ya think, and sorry, I'm sure thos has been posted 1000000 times but I couldn't find anything nor had the patients. 20190912_215506.jpg 20190912_215521.jpg 20190912_215526.jpg 20190912_215536.jpg

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

You should have opened it and incubated the contents right when you pulled the sac....If she stopped tending to it, it may be bad, or gone bad.

Pull it immediately, open it and incubate and healthy looking eggs/EWLs.

3. Skeleton21

Skeleton21 Arachnopeon

Thanks for the Advice, I will pull, cut it open and incubated them when I get home.

Recommended temp and humidity?

I'll post some pictures once the sac is open.

4. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

Keep them warm and in a incubator. At least 80*F will do for my preference. If you have a incubator then humidity isn't a issue since it's going to provide all the humidity it needs for the eggs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cold blood

The incubator, properly set up, provides all the needed humidity, no need to measure or worry, just dampen the towels as they dry.

Temps aren't critical...over 70 is fine...warmer simply means faster growth.....I would say 75 to 85 would be ideal....but its not something I have ever worried much about as I keep my room 70 or better anyway. I've never used supplemental heat with an incubator...even when temps were cooler....I recently incubated O. schioedtei and P. regalis at temps barely reaching 70 (cool summer)...things took a bit longer, but production was just fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Skeleton21

Skeleton21 Arachnopeon

Thanks for all the help.

Opened the sac, separated the eggs best I could over moist paper towel, picked out the black or bad eggs, keeping them around 78 degrees.

95% of them were fine and seeing a bunch of eggs with legs.
    20190914_120230.jpg

After the pic I separated them better and took out the bad ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Liquifin

I know people in Europe and some other people tend to just use wet paper towels as an incubator, but I would avoid that. If the paper towels are wet and it gets humid it could cause the eggs to possibly grow mold on them (because eggs are in direct contact with wet paper towels aka. moisture + warm temps). I prefer any other incubator than having a direct contact of eggs with wet paper towels or moisture. But everyone has there preference to incubators so I can't say what is the "correct" incubator as long as it works.

The incubator style I normally use: coffee filter incubator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. cold blood

And this is why pulling now was so critical...those bad eggs, as they break down, would have spread that death around to the rest of the sac...had you left it to hatch with mom, you undoubtedly would have had a lot less survivors, possibly none.

Good luck, I agree with the above incubation suggestion as well.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• Like Like x 1
  9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Mold doesn't kills Ts, cmon! :troll::troll::troll:

10. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

GUYS, HOW IS NO ONE ELSE LAUGHING AT THIS :hilarious:

I'm glad all is well! I have never taken a sac to check on it, then given it back. I used to pull sacs, but I didn't like stressing the females out like that so now I let them be.

When I did pull sacs, I put the contents on one side of a paper toweled deli cup and moistened the other side. That way the eggs or EWLS weren't sitting on too much moisture. I didn't do anything special for temps, either.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Liquifin

Then explain how one or two bad molded eggs in a clutch can spread to the rest of the eggs in a sac :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's why we take the bad eggs out to stop the spread to the rest of the clutch. If you want, you should keep bad eggs with the rest of your eggs next time. :troll:

12. Skeleton21

Skeleton21 Arachnopeon

I've definately learned, and taken the advice given.

I hatched over 5000 snake and lizard eggs over the years but breeding T's is new to me.

To incubate I used container with a 1/2" airrated bottom so the water sits there and the paper towel isnt sitting in the water.
    I've attached a pic, my lids are different but you get the idea of the bottom.

Seeing lots of eggs with legs, roughly counted about 450 good eggs.
    36cde9f1-73b0-4741-abaf-ed03c2bb2dfc_1.827a3ca4e22ea279809a3191197ca7fe.jpeg.jpg
    Thanks again everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  13. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I eat green eggs and ham, never seen mold! :troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Teal

It's very common for people wuth other exotic pets to think keeping Ts is similar... but really, keeping Ts is unlike any other husbandry. It is all a learning process! All is well thay ends well, they say :)

Those containers are brilliant! Where do you get them?

15. Skeleton21

Skeleton21 Arachnopeon

I'm in canada, you can get them at the local Walmart.

16. Teal

I have never seen those at Walmart! I'll have to check again.