B.Albopilosum Death

louise f

Arachnoangel
Thank you so much! You're a massive help, changing him to a drier home now, got a deli tub perfect for him :)
No problem, as @miss moxie said that`s what were here for, and sounds very good with that deli cup. I know that @cold blood would have preferred you to use the same, just like moxie mentioned. :kiss: I wish you the best of luck. :)

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
To you @Stickisland sorry for your loss. A B. albo does not like it wet, they like it dry with a water bowl filled at all times. Dont know what could have killed your T. Could be dehydration or something else. pic`s will help a lot.
I see plenty of experienced tarantula keepers that keep 1cm slings in vials with no problems, also your sling looks a lot bigger than 1cm. Not to mention none of these set ups I have seen include a water bowl considering the size of the sling.
Not saying you're wrong.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Much better. The only thing that worries me is the beer bottle cap. I'm not sure if it might be a little too sharp. T abdomens are very delicate, especially when they're fat from a fresh meal. It's probably fine for now, but I'd definitely switch to a soda bottle cap, milk bottle cap, something plastic when you find it.

louise f

Arachnoangel
also your sling looks a lot bigger than 1cm
They are bigger than 1cm it was just to show the setup i use. Yeah well i kept tarantulas in 9 years, i started with those vials and it was a deathtrap to the spiders, just my personal experience. !!! How experienced are you ? Have you tried this method ? Nah i didn`t think so.

And just one last thing, the T is much better with a water bowl. No matter the size. !!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
They are bigger than 1cm it was just to show the setup i use. Yeah well i kept tarantulas in 9 years, i started with those vials and it was a deathtrap to the spiders, just my personal experience. !!! How experienced are you ? Have you tried this method ? Nah i didn`t think so.

And just one last thing, the T is much better with a water bowl. No matter the size. !!
Quite a snappy response, I am here to learn... I never once said that it was the "right" method.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Quite a snappy response, I am here to learn... I never once said that it was the "right" method.
Well sorry if it sounded that way, was not ment like that.
I know what you said. But the best way to learn is to ask if there`s something you want to know.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Well sorry if it sounded that way, was not ment like that.
I know what you said. But the best way to learn is to ask if there`s something you want to know.
I was trying to help OP by bumping his thread and getting OP to post a picture of the enclosure in hopes someone with more experience could give OP solid advice. I never expected someone to attack me on my experience. All I said was plenty people keep 1cm slings in those vials with no problems.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I was trying to help OP by bumping his thread and getting OP to post a picture of the enclosure in hopes someone with more experience could give OP solid advice. I never expected someone to attack me on my experience. All I said was plenty people keep 1cm slings in those vials with no problems.
Yeah well, I think we should just leave it there.;) My name`s Louise happy to meet you. Here to help if needed. :)

cold blood

Staff member
I see plenty of experienced tarantula keepers that keep 1cm slings in vials with no problems
See, that's the thing, raising slings in vials has been a hobby staple for decades, but the truth is that it just works better for experienced keepers, because there really is a fine line to walk when keeping them in vials.

When I started raising large numbers of slings, I also had losses in vials, it wasn't until speaking with a few really experienced breeders that I realized my mistake...too much moisture (and too many feedings). With a basic lack of ventilation, you really need to add a lot less moisture than one would think, especially when hearing that they need to keep sub damp (or humidity) for slings.

This is confusing for beginners, but a blessing for breeders keeping hundreds or even thousands of slings as they can add a lot less moisture, and a lot less often...they're also more inclined to feed less frequently.

But my experience with vials and just a little too much moisture (or waste), is that they can become exactly what louise described...a death trap.

I much prefer condiment cups, its just flat out easier for the average keeper. Now I don't have issues with vials and do use them on occasion. Heck, I breed and still use mostly condiment cups. I keep them on partially damp sub, rotating the damp areas and have minimal ventilation. If you keep part dry, it will make it less likely that a keeper will over-water, which in a sling enclosure can be just as dangerous as too dry....I actually think they last longer on too dry than too wet.

Slings under 1" go in condiment cupsView media item 38785

Over an inch they go into 16oz deli cups with water dishes as their housing now has room.

Losses are just about zero.

your sling looks a lot bigger than 1cm.
That was my thoughts on the smithi...errr hamorri....you can actually see the start of colors on the legs...this tells me its an inch at least...that's what it appears to me at least. By an inch, brachys should be starting to be kept drier....I believe it was the damp stuffy vial that quickly did in that albo.

Op could be using body size and not DLS....which would change everything.

I never expected someone to attack me on my experience
Ummmm, she gave you an explanation based on her experiences, she didn't attack you.

She may be a Viking queen, but I assure, she's an absolute sweetheart that doesn't post messages with malicious intent.

Last edited:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Solid advice above for OP, myself and other beginners raising slings, I also apologise for being overly sensitive in my posts.
Although it did get me slightly worried about how I am keeping my slings, I was going to wait to move my slings after first molt into deli cups but maybe I'll rehouse after the advice giving above.

I also bought these tiny hides and bowls for my slings.

Goodluck OP with your new slings, follow the advice giving and I am sure you'll spend many years with your Ts!

Attachments

louise f

Arachnoangel
Ummmm, she gave you an explanation based on her experiences, she didn't attack you.

She may be a Viking queen, but I assure, she's an absolute sweetheart that doesn't post messages with malicious intent.
Aww thanks sweetheart. For backing me up. :kiss: <3 :happy: Hehe Viking queen :D <3