B.Albopilosum Death

Stickisland

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

Last night my 1cm curly hair pulled the death curl on me, I only had it under a week and sadly I lost it last night, I'm 100% certain I did everything right, in the time I had it I fed it one cricket and kept its pill tub humid so it wouldn't die of thirst...is it normal Howard (my tarantula) could of died naturally? Or is it something I did...can someone just give me a brief care sheet for a 1cm curly hair hair as I have Howard.2 arriving tomorrow? I can't afford to lose another T :(

RIP Howard x

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Increased humidity isn't a substitute for a water bowl, however some species do better with increased humidity esp slings.

Without knowing what your T looked like before you owned it, hard to say. Though I find it unlikely in a week that you killed it.

The death curl is not strictly a sign of dehydration other natural factors resulting in death can cause this.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I don't think dehydration is the issue considering you had it a week and fed it, not sure how fast slings die from dehydration but I'm sure that's not the issue... Maybe If you post pictures of the enclosure people can determine the death a little better

Sorry for the loss

Stickisland

Arachnopeon
I don't think dehydration is the issue considering you had it a week and fed it, not sure how fast slings die from dehydration but I'm sure that's not the issue... Maybe If you post pictures of the enclosure people can determine the death a little better

Sorry for the loss
I'll take a picture once I'm home of my Smithi's hide because it was almost identical, his substrate was a little looser so he could burrow though.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Hey all,

Last night my 1cm curly hair pulled the death curl on me, I only had it under a week and sadly I lost it last night, I'm 100% certain I did everything right, in the time I had it I fed it one cricket and kept its pill tub humid so it wouldn't die of thirst...is it normal Howard (my tarantula) could of died naturally? Or is it something I did...can someone just give me a brief care sheet for a 1cm curly hair hair as I have Howard.2 arriving tomorrow? I can't afford to lose another T :(

RIP Howard x
Have you posted some pictures of your set-up so we can help troubleshoot? (sorry in advance if I missed that thread).

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Sorry for the loss, man!

Lots of reasons a T can die. We'll take a closer look when you post the pictures.

Stickisland

Arachnopeon
So guys here are pictures of my Smithi's current hide...I worried about the lid not being ventilated enough but I was advised to leave it as is..That's coconut fibre substrate by the way.

If I have done anything wrong feel free to be open with the advice as I'm new to this..done a lot of research and of course have no fear of these creatures at all, willing to really take this seriously IMG_20170808_203210.jpg IMG_20170808_203135.jpg IMG_20170808_203152.jpg

louise f

Arachnoangel
not sure how fast slings die from dehydration
Quite fast, esp when they dont have a water bowl

Maybe If you post pictures of the enclosure people can determine the death a little better
OP mentioned what i believe was a pill tub. For a enclosure. Not the best option for a sling.

To you @Stickisland sorry for your loss. A B. albo does not like it wet, they like it dry with a water bowl filled at all times. Dont know what could have killed your T. Could be dehydration or something else. pic`s will help a lot.

Stickisland

Arachnopeon
As for my Smithi's bald patch, it was like that when it arrived, his abdomen was so tiny when I got him also...

louise f

Arachnoangel
So guys here are pictures of my Smithi's current hide...I worried about the lid not being ventilated enough but I was advised to leave it as is..That's coconut fibre substrate by the way.

If I have done anything wrong feel free to be open with the advice as I'm new to this..done a lot of research and of course have no fear of these creatures at all, willing to really take this seriously View attachment 248330 View attachment 248331 View attachment 248332

This is your problem, to much dang wet. They dont like that. + Those glasses you use for enclosure i only use as a transport option when shipping spiders, nothing more.
What i use for enclosure for a spider in that size is the cricket boxes. + Keep the sub dry with a filled water bowl. I hope that made any sense. You can get them here http://oxid.th-terra.de/Aufzucht-Dosen/eckig/Heimchendose-Typ-II-50er-Pack.html

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah, that is way too wet for a brachy sling. You should use a 16 oz. deli cup, and add holes to the side for cross ventilation. The problem with what you're using right now is that it is probably too stuffy in there. Small holes on the top, super damp substrate, no holes on the sides to help dry out the sub-- all signs towards a way too humid environment for a species that is kept bone dry.

For my slings I use cocofiber and sphagnum moss mixed together. The moss will hold moisture pretty well and gives tiny slings a chance to hide under it/make tunnels.

This is a picture of an itty bitty Nhandu chromatus sling, they like more humidity than Brachypelma and you can see that my sub isn't nearly as wet as yours. Also, there is none in this picture but provide a water-bottle cap for them to drink.

Stickisland

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that is way too wet for a brachy sling. You should use a 16 oz. deli cup, and add holes to the side for cross ventilation. The problem with what you're using right now is that it is probably too stuffy in there. Small holes on the top, super damp substrate, no holes on the sides to help dry out the sub-- all signs towards a way too humid environment for a species that is kept bone dry.

For my slings I use cocofiber and sphagnum moss mixed together. The moss will hold moisture pretty well and gives tiny slings a chance to hide under it/make tunnels.

This is a picture of an itty bitty Nhandu chromatus sling, they like more humidity than Brachypelma and you can see that my sub isn't nearly as wet as yours. Also, there is none in this picture but provide a water-bottle cap for them to drink.
That's great thank you! Literally working on his new home now!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You're very welcome! That's what we're here for. Feel free to post pictures of the new enclosure when you're done if you'd like an opinion on it.