1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. albo abdominal discoloration?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Nmilburn14, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Nmilburn14

Nmilburn14 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    IMG_9553.JPG This is my juvenile (2.5" DLS) Brachypelma albopilosum sling. She molted about 2 weeks ago and has been ravenous and actively rearranging her enclosure as always, but I'm seeing a large patch of lighter coloration on the right side of her abdomen. Is this from attempted hair flicking, or maybe a complication from her recent molt? It seemed to go very smoothly, and the molt itself was pristine. Am I just being paranoid, or should I be worried?

Note: the habitat is not damp as it appears in the photo--the sphagnum is slightly moist (and was localized in one pile in the corner until she decided to scatter it last night), but the substrate sheen is due to a light shining on the webbing covering it.

2. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

its just a bald spot where it rubbed off hairs...nothing to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

She molted 2 weeks ago and is already that big? You don't need to feed that much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nmilburn14

Oh, she just ate a big superworm today! Molted more like 2.5 weeks ago, and she's only eaten 3 times in that amount of time. I'm actually really not sure why she's that big... She was big even right after the molt. Would you suggest I hold off feeding for a while?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. Nmilburn14

Thank you! I was a little freaked out since she rubbed off hairs before her last molt to reveal a much different (darker) color underneath, but now that I think about it, she was probably in premolt at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Venom1080

Yes. I think @cold blood says th faster you fatten them after a molt, the slower the premolt will be. Maybe it takes the same time but the premolt period is just longer, I'm not sure.

7. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

the sooner theyre filled, the sooner they will go premolt....and the time between molts will esentially be the same. Heavy feeding = longer premolt.

8. Nmilburn14

Interesting! I hadn't heard that before. Would you suggest feeding smaller prey items? Or simply feeding less often?

9. Venom1080

See CBs answer above

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nmilburn14

Didn't see that! My bad.

Thank you for the information! I hadn't heard that before.