1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. Albiceps: difficult eater

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Deeser, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Deeser

Deeser Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    So my Albiceps sling is by far the slowest grower I've ever seen, and seems to have really weird eating habits.

I got it at 1/4" November 2016, and now almost a year later, he is MAYBE 1" max. Anyway, I read these guys grow slow, but what really surprised me was the eating habits. My sling will refuse food for weeks; live, killed, small, big, you name it. Then all of a sudden he will take a pre-killed meal worm and consume the entire thing, nonstop until he looks ready to explode, then stops eating again until moult... he has moulted 3 times, each time was like that.

I couldn't believe when I gave the last worm to his emaciated little guy, he latched on and didn't let go until every bit of the worm was eaten and he was fat and shiny with stretch marks... Lol

Anyone else with these? How do yours act?

Oh yeah, I also caught mine on the brink of death by dehydration and misted just in time.. he was all curled up and twitching and could barely walk or move.

2. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    Hmmm you need to keep up on watering it. When they're really little they only need to eat once or twice and then go into premolt. My fast growers molt monthly the slow growers eat, get huge and premolt fast for a few months.

Once again, keep up on watering.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

You should really read up on tarantula life cycles, as you haven't described anything but normal. Also, if your T has been stuffing its face with fat abdomen, how'd it end up almost dead? You clearly haven't been feeding it that regularly.

Also misting is a terrible way to water Ts. Get a water bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Deeser

Every guide I've read said slings get their moisture from their prey and that a 1/4" sling wouldnt need a dish. My bigger spiders all have water dishes. But given the length of his fasts, I can see that being beneficial.

It was almost dead after not having eaten for weeks, despite introducing food at least twice or three times per week, 1 week after it molted.

Albiceps: Molt -> refuse food for 2+ weeks -> gorge itself once -> refuse to eat until next molt.

GBB: molt -> eat like a pig 3+ times per week until 1 week before next molt -> repeat.

To say that all ts behave like my albiceps is ignorant... I wouldnt have asked if it werent so different from the others I have: G. Pulchra, GBB, Tap. sp Union Island, C. Versicolor, L. Violaceopes.

Perhaps its better to say all slow growing t's or other brachys exhibit that type of feeding / growth behavior?

5. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    They don't need a dish. I've raised a bunch with no dish, but I looked in on them daily and wet 1/4 of the substrate. I rotate the moist spot to avoid mold. You aren't watering right if the tarantula is getting dehydrated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. viper69

They do get their moisture for food- how much I cannot say with any scientific data. I've also seen slings drink from a bowl too. Perhaps they need both, I can't say.

I'm not ignorant on the molt cycle of Ts hah. I've raised many slings over a very long time. They all behave the same, they eat a lot, stop eating for a while and molt. It's not rocket science. There's the occasional T that does eat right up to the very last day before molting. I've had that happen too IME.

My initial response was one that is general, and not specific enough for you; I believe this based on your response.

The reason I replied is because of your initial post.

The truth is this: you weren't paying enough attention to your Ts metabolism, in this case, the size of its abdomen. I'm assuming your T is healthy mind you. W/that said, if you had been paying enough attention to your T, you'd have realized it needed water. This isn't rocket science but does require some attention to detail.

Enjoy your exotic animal!

7. Deeser

True that - I won't argue. It was a major wake-up call and learning experience to witness him on the brink of death. Has definitely made me more observant.

I guess the main reason for the post was to hear more about other people's Albiceps specifically, as they seem a bit rare in the trade and I don't see many comments or discussions on these guys.

8. viper69

You are 100% correct on albiceps prevalence. I'll call my friend, he has one. From convo, his is also a slow grower @cold blood

9. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Yeah, easily the slowest growth up to 1.5"....like painfully slow. As 1/2" slings i had fasts from 50 all the way to 177 days. Periods where they wouldnt eat for an entire molt cycle. Mine would only eat very small prey when they did finally eat.

But getting them to eat was indeed, a glorious occassion, getting them to molt was a cause for celebration....then they molt... and theres absolutely no discernable growth gain at all.:banghead::banghead:

Good news is that about the time it starts to get its colors, the appetite picks up, along with growth....In 2 molts they went from the worst eaters, to one of the very best.

Took an average of a little over 3 years from 2i to 1.25"....in the next year it jumped to over 3". Worth the wait though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

This is off topic but could you post a picture of your spiderling? I got a freebie when I was first getting into the hobby, that was labeled as a B. albiceps but someone pointed out theirs didn't look like mine.

11. Deeser

20170913_230259.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Deeser

Thanks @cold blood you've given me some hope. :) Glad to hear its not just mine that's messed up. These guys are gorgeous IMO and I'm stoked that at least they get their adult colors relatively young!

13. Deeser

Finally found a good water dish for the smaller slings, under my nose the whole time! Tattoo ink cups are perfect! I know not everyone has these laying around, but they are dirt cheap and any tattoo shop should be okay with giving you a couple, if not sell you a couple for pennies.

They are tiny enough to even fit in most little sling setups, except maybe the smallest of vials. I tried small bottle caps but they still took up half the space.
    IMG_0549.JPG

14. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

I had one in the container of one of my slings which I recently got from a show , going to try our tattoo palour for some more ( think I'll past on another tattoo lol) .