Avicularias during the winter

Ashley Bianchetti

Arachnopeon
2070DD94-73D2-498E-A945-68FB72191C83.jpeg 977665E9-AE5F-4BD1-9F7E-5D6E765BE5C5.jpeg Hey there folks. Now we all know Avics can be odd balls but now that it’s cold out I’m interested in a new behavior mine is showing. He has a small funnel up in the top corner where he almost always stays.... like always. Now when I get up in the morning I see that he has snuck out and is slowly moving down the enclosure. He’s not going far but just a little further each day. I have had to place a small space heater on the floor of the room because it doesn’t have existing AC. Should I be concerned that he may be getting TOO dry or anything? Btw he has a nice sized water dish that stays filled ... I’ve just never seen him use it. I’m hoping he’s just finally exploring.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Looks good. Just double check that the water dish isn't evaporating too quickly with the addition of the space heater.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
should get a new lid. they can chew through mesh and get stuck

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
winter??? You live in Alabama, you dont have winter.:rolleyes:

Avics should be kept dry....you seem to be observing a feeding response or maaaybe a response from the heater...ts are drawn to heat.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree that it is likely a response to the heater being on the floor... he is gravitating towards the heat source.

Also, what is "cold" in Alabama... like 60F? :rofl:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey, here in New Orleans it was 42 when I woke up today. Pretty miserable.

cold blood

Staff member
lol....we had a HIGH of 23 today....with strong winds off the lake it felt significantly colder....In real cold climates like here in WI...we wear shorts in the 40's.....and i dont mean high school boys, im talking housewives and even the elderly....42 isnt even cold...lol....and what was it, 68 by 11am? Southerners just think they deal with cold....just sayin:)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
68, I wish! It only got up to 54!
Supposedly the cold snap will be over by Friday, and it will be back in the 70s. Pray for us till then...

cold blood

Staff member
68, I wish! It only got up to 54!
Supposedly the cold snap will be over by Friday, and it will be back in the 70s. Pray for us till then...
54 is a summer night temp here....nice and balmy....y'all have no idea how good you have it in the south....winters here are colder than your freezer....i work outside, back when i was at the zoo (working), we used to go into the fridges and freezers to warm up....literally walk into a freezer and unzip the coats and take off hats...lol

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
we wear shorts in the 40's.....and i dont mean high school boys, im talking housewives and even the elderly....42 isnt even cold...lol....and what was it, 68 by 11am
It was 40 degrees and windy last week, and people were breaking out the big "arctic expedition" style jackets and scarves. It was absolutely horrible.

Ashley Bianchetti

Arachnopeon
winter??? You live in Alabama, you dont have winter.:rolleyes:

Avics should be kept dry....you seem to be observing a feeding response or maaaybe a response from the heater...ts are drawn to heat.
Lmao I understand, it’s def cold to me ... hints why I live so far south. But the room they are in doesn’t have heat or AC so if I didn’t run some it would be REALLY cold to them.

I agree that it is likely a response to the heater being on the floor... he is gravitating towards the heat source.

Also, what is "cold" in Alabama... like 60F? :rofl:
60 is bearable but it’s been in the twenties and thirties past few days

It’s 33 here this morning

lol....we had a HIGH of 23 today....with strong winds off the lake it felt significantly colder....In real cold climates like here in WI...we wear shorts in the 40's.....and i dont mean high school boys, im talking housewives and even the elderly....42 isnt even cold...lol....and what was it, 68 by 11am? Southerners just think they deal with cold....just sayin:)
I got family up that way and I told them they would NEVER see me there until summer lol, below 70 is uncomfortable to me most times, specially sense I had my daughter

Last edited by a moderator:

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
60 degrees in Utah is wonderful we either get 20 degrees or 90 degrees during summer and our fall and spring usually don’t last to long before it gets really hot or really cold but my T’s do fine during both extreme temps

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 293268 View attachment 293269 Hey there folks. Now we all know Avics can be odd balls but now that it’s cold out I’m interested in a new behavior mine is showing. He has a small funnel up in the top corner where he almost always stays.... like always. Now when I get up in the morning I see that he has snuck out and is slowly moving down the enclosure. He’s not going far but just a little further each day. I have had to place a small space heater on the floor of the room because it doesn’t have existing AC. Should I be concerned that he may be getting TOO dry or anything? Btw he has a nice sized water dish that stays filled ... I’ve just never seen him use it. I’m hoping he’s just finally exploring.
Your observation cannot be the result of cold weather without further evidence. I have Avics that do the above all year around hah.

What you SHOULD be concerned about is the screen top in your tank. They get their tarsal claws stuck in there, and may end up dead, and they can get caught up there and lose a leg or more. Replace with drilled out acrylic, if you don't, then you are just playing Russian Roulette with your cherished pet's life.

Ashley Bianchetti

Arachnopeon
Your observation cannot be the result of cold weather without further evidence. I have Avics that do the above all year around hah.

What you SHOULD be concerned about is the screen top in your tank. They get their tarsal claws stuck in there, and may end up dead, and they can get caught up there and lose a leg or more. Replace with drilled out acrylic, if you don't, then you are just playing Russian Roulette with your cherished pet's life.
Yeah I am having one cut for me, I tried one on my own and sad to say I don’t have the proper tools so I have a local glass company fixing me one