Avicularia....?

noelle

Arachnopeon
Picked up my first Tarantula last night. She was labeled as a Metallic Pink Toe, but I'm not really sure. Her abdomen has a definite purple sheen to it (kind of hard to tell in the picture) and her head (still a bit new to T anatomy, sorry!) has a definite green tint. I know she is small right now and I think she is actually going to be molting soon, so I'm wondering if I will just have to wait to see if more colors come in to be able to determine her exact species (if that's the right word?) or if I shouldn't expect too much. I've attached a picture of her, and yes I have small-ish hands haha roughly 7cm by 8 cm

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
IMG_20171103_121805_155.jpg Avicularia avicularia morphotype metallica is my guess.

A avic don't have those white, fuzzy setae on the back legs.

Notice they're fuzzy, but not close to that.

Avicularia sp Peru purple also have that kind of setae. If it's not blue with the next molt. That's what I think it is.

Do note, it is extremely hard to id Avicularia from pictures. These are all more or less just speculations.

Last edited:

noelle

Arachnopeon
View attachment 257550 Avicularia avicularia morphotype metallica

A avic don't have those white, fuzzy setae on the back legs.

Notice they're fuzzy, but not close to that.

Avicularia sp Peru purple also have that kind of setae. If it's not blue with the next molt. That's what I think it is.

Do note, it is extremely hard to id Avicularia from pictures. These are all more or less just speculations.
Yes! the white fuzziness is definitely confusing me haha thanks so much

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yes! the white fuzziness is definitely confusing me haha thanks so much
Avicularia are notorious for picture ids. Wait for a molt and then try to get some very clear pics of the spermathacae, then post them here. It'll narrow it down between a metallica and sp Peru purple.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Picked up my first Tarantula last night. She was labeled as a Metallic Pink Toe, but I'm not really sure. Her abdomen has a definite purple sheen to it (kind of hard to tell in the picture) and her head (still a bit new to T anatomy, sorry!) has a definite green tint. I know she is small right now and I think she is actually going to be molting soon, so I'm wondering if I will just have to wait to see if more colors come in to be able to determine her exact species (if that's the right word?) or if I shouldn't expect too much. I've attached a picture of her, and yes I have small-ish hands haha roughly 7cm by 8 cm
From the looks of the coloration of the exposed exoskeleton on the back side where it kicked urticating setae I would say a molt is imminent.

Also, FYI, it's not the best idea to hold them.

noelle

Arachnopeon
From the looks of the coloration of the exposed exoskeleton on the back side where it kicked urticating setae I would say a molt is imminent.

Also, FYI, it's not the best idea to hold them.
Yes, in the future I don't plan on handling her if I don't have to (even though she seems to tolerate it pretty well...compared to the other pink toe that bolted from its cage and across the desk at the exotics shop and then jumped at the keeper) I just wanted to get a halfway decent picture to show off, and also upload here. She was very curled in on herself in her shop container and it was hard to see anything defining.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, in the future I don't plan on handling her if I don't have to (even though she seems to tolerate it pretty well...compared to the other pink toe that bolted from its cage and across the desk at the exotics shop and then jumped at the keeper) I just wanted to get a halfway decent picture to show off, and also upload here. She was very curled in on herself in her shop container and it was hard to see anything defining.

Sounds good.

Her lethargy is due to being in heavy pre-molt. Expect her to become a fuzzy bottle rocket soon enough.