Genus Avicularia

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Adult female Caribena Versicolor. Still Avicularia to me.

Nice Pictures.
Been waiting for this transition since 2011, About time they were called out... To the island Avicularia imposters, I say PEACE!

0.1 Avicularia purpurea
'Northern Type' (Colombia)

FB_IMG_1490090042663.jpg

FB_IMG_1490351553217.jpg

Last edited:

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
A dear friend brought to my attention that I haven't ever really taken but one picture of my assumed A. Avicularia so I thought I would do just that and post a few.

I'm almost positive this is a mature male. A hair over 5", rarely feeds, webs very little, spindly as could be, and most obviously- tell tale hooks.

Not to toot my own horn but, kind of proud of a couple of these shots!

IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0336.JPG

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If he has tibial hooks and bulbous pedipalps, it is a MM without question ;)
How long have you had him? When did he last molt?
He looks a bit roughed up tbh. You do realize your time with this boy is limited now?

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
If he has tibial hooks and bulbous pedipalps, it is a MM without question ;)
How long have you had him? When did he last molt?
He looks a bit roughed up tbh. You do realize your time with this boy is limited now?
I bought him about a month and a half ago, maybe two months; from a local pet store that claimed to be "quite knowledgable".

They had the poor guy in a TINY critter keeper, bone dry water dish, dead crickets left about and zero substrate. Sadly he looks MUCH better now than when I first got him.

But yes, I do recognize that his time is almost up. I'm just glad I got him out of the situation he was in, and made his final time as comfortable (I hope!) as possible.

Edit: realized I forgot one of your questions- I was given no information on the timing of his last molt and he has not done so in my care.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
as kind as that was, you fell into the trap. feeling sorry for animals kept in horrid conditions and pity purchasing them only supports the shops that do this. if you wanted to help out the hobby as much as possible, avoid purchasing from chain pet shops that only stock a few cheap tarantulas as a freak show.

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
as kind as that was, you fell into the trap. feeling sorry for animals kept in horrid conditions and pity purchasing them only supports the shops that do this. if you wanted to help out the hobby as much as possible, avoid purchasing from chain pet shops that only stock a few cheap tarantulas as a freak show.
Absolutely, lesson learned. I've since stuck with buying directly from breeders at expos and have possible plans for online purchases in the future.

Tnoel

Arachnopeon
We have only bought one of our babies in a pet store. I went in the other day and they had some slings that were actually housed very well. I was slightly suprised although when we got our Brachypelma smith, Fuego, he was housed nicely. All of my other Ts are from a breeder I know personally. A. Avicularia is one of my next ones. Poor guy! He definitely needed you to make his last days comfortable.

Perentie

Arachnosquire
My lone avic at the moment. Unfortunately never managed to get pics of my 1.0 Avicularia purpurea before I sent him out on loan.

Avicularia braunshauseni 0.0.1

Attachments

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Now this is interesting....Another Avic that keeps the tiger striping into adulthood, like Minatrix?
Yes, but it supposedly fades as she gets older. The males lose the abdominal striping after sling stage like any other purpurea which is interesting...

One more...
FB_IMG_1495529460518.jpg