Avicularia that doesn't have "pink toes"

ToshRunner

Arachnopeon
I've been lurking for a long time now, absorbing as much information as I can. I am finally getting ready for an actual tarantula purchase. So far the species I have found locally are: B. smithi/hamorii, Brazilian White Knee (forgotten Scientific name), two Horned Baboon slings (I did not catch the label of whether it was darlingi or the lesser known type), G. roseas, and A. avicularias.

Today, when I was checking out another pet store, I saw that they did have a "Pink Toe" for sale. Except this tarantula had no "pink toes" on it. I have seen several A. avic specimens in person and hundreds upon hundreds of Avicularia species photos on here, and I am sure I have seen a few species with very little pink (or no pink at all) to them. The pet store employees present could not clarify what type of Avicularia the one they have for sale is.

So, my question here is: what Avicularia species have no pink toes at all? Or is there a part of the molting process where the pink toes disappear entirely?

Any advice is appreciated, as I am trying to learn from more experienced keepers of tarantulas.

ToshRunner

Arachnopeon
Avic purpurea doesn't have pink toes as far as I know.
True. They have this Avicularia listed at the regular A. avic price for my area (a little under $40). I should also mention that I am pretty certain that this tarantula is arboreal because it was hiding out at the uppermost edge of the tank it was in. The tank they popped this tarantula into was a reptile setup: dry, false grassy turf fabric, a log in the middle of the tank, and a dish with a dead cricket next to it. I don't know if most terrestrial tarantulas have the grace to climb that high and sit along the glass wall for that long.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Terrestrials will climb, but they are more likely to fall down and injure themselves. Pet shop are avics are pretty commonly found hiding in a corner of the enclosure in a sad little web tube until someone comes and buys them. We wouldn't be able to give you a proper ID though without pictures.

ToshRunner

Arachnopeon
Terrestrials will climb, but they are more likely to fall down and injure themselves. Pet shop are avics are pretty commonly found hiding in a corner of the enclosure in a sad little web tube until someone comes and buys them. We wouldn't be able to give you a proper ID though without pictures.
You have a good point there. My interest is in getting an Avicularia (as the arboreals appeal to me more than terrestrials, and I have studied Arachnoboard Avicularia setups for the past few years now). My concern is: do I want to risk getting an unknown arboreal? It provides a unique challenge if it is not your basic Avicularia genus. I don't plan on breeding tarantulas, so there is my plus if the species is never 100% clear.

cold blood

Staff member
My concern is: do I want to risk getting an unknown arboreal
Since husbandry would be the same regardless, why not take a chance, you know its a more valuable species, one day you may be able to know what t is, but that's not entirely important if you don't have breeding plans for it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
True. They have this Avicularia listed at the regular A. avic price for my area (a little under $40). I should also mention that I am pretty certain that this tarantula is arboreal because it was hiding out at the uppermost edge of the tank it was in. The tank they popped this tarantula into was a reptile setup: dry, false grassy turf fabric, a log in the middle of the tank, and a dish with a dead cricket next to it. I don't know if most terrestrial tarantulas have the grace to climb that high and sit along the glass wall for that long.
Wow they were $20 near me prior to all local pet store stopped selling inverts of all types. Get a pic, prob good deal regardless . Shipping can be $40

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you want to see Avics w/out Pink toes just go through the pics here.

All Avics are kept generally the same by most keepers with no reported issues.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Caribena versicolour (ex. Avicularia) doesnt have pink toes. Nor Ybyrapora diversipes.

ToshRunner

Arachnopeon
If you want to see Avics w/out Pink toes just go through the pics here.

All Avics are kept generally the same by most keepers with no reported issues.
I have perused through the giant post of Avicularia that is full of photos. I noticed some species had lesser pink to their toes or barely any pink at all.

I have been recommended certain Avicularias, by you even, for docility (A. avic or A. metallica). I never plan to directly handle my tarantula at all. And all arboreal tarantulas have the ability to bite, jump, be flighty, and be more sensitive to vivarium mistakes.

I appreciate all of the input. I can only keep one tarantula at this time. I want to make sure I make the most educated decision I can.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I say get it, get it IDed on here, and if it's something you don't want or can't handle, put it up for sale on here. But that's just the curiosity in me :rolleyes:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you want to be sure what species you have (well, as sure as you can be with avics), and ensure you get a female that will be with you for a while, check the “for sale/trade/want to buy” section. I noticed a few female avics for sale there yesterday.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Pet shop are avics are pretty commonly found hiding in a corner of the enclosure in a sad little web tube until someone comes and buys them.
I have two pet shops in my area. One is local business exotics shop. The other is a Petco. They both carry pink toes. The last time I was in the exotics shop, they had a dead pink toe in an two gallon tank with no water dish and a full screen lid in a dry climit. Petco frequently carries pink toes. They do give them one of those half log hides(that go unused), but the rest of the enclosure is not bad. They have cocofiber substrate, they have a full water dish. They also have a fake plant with a lot of leaves. If the spider is not on the wall, it’s in that plant. The last one they had webbed it up pretty good. I was surprised to see this as Petco usually has pretty shoddy husbandry.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have perused through the giant post of Avicularia that is full of photos. I noticed some species had lesser pink to their toes or barely any pink at all.

I have been recommended certain Avicularias, by you even, for docility (A. avic or A. metallica). I never plan to directly handle my tarantula at all. And all arboreal tarantulas have the ability to bite, jump, be flighty, and be more sensitive to vivarium mistakes.

I appreciate all of the input. I can only keep one tarantula at this time. I want to make sure I make the most educated decision I can.
Yep I know your screenname, didn't forget. A. sp. metallica are gorgeous IME.

I just didn't understand why you were looking for info on Pink Toes w/out pink or white when you have tons of photos here with typically the correct name, as opposed to google. Still confused hah.

ToshRunner

Arachnopeon
Yep I know your screenname, didn't forget. A. sp. metallica are gorgeous IME.

I just didn't understand why you were looking for info on Pink Toes w/out pink or white when you have tons of photos here with typically the correct name, as opposed to google. Still confused hah.
I did look here for photo identification (rather than use Google, because Google is nearly useless for accurate tarantula photos). However, it escaped my attention to look directly in the photo identification section for Avicularia species rather than search through the forums for Avicularia species. The search likes to bring up any time an Avicularia is ever mentioned and I was making it harder than needs be to search for different species that way. Because of that, I figured asking other more intelligent people for their input was okay to do. lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It can be faster to do it yourself than wait for others to serve up info for this type of question. I doubt anyone has a list of species for the specific criteria you are looking for hah.

ToshRunner

Arachnopeon
It can be faster to do it yourself than wait for others to serve up info for this type of question. I doubt anyone has a list of species for the specific criteria you are looking for hah.
I see your point, but I wasn't trying to be lazy either. During my searches for Avicularia here on Arachnoboards, I spent more time reading than looking at only the pretty pictures. This is also the chat section of Arachnoboards, so I figured that having a question (no matter how big, small, stupid/simple...) to ask was okay to do. When I typed up my headline question, no previous post came up as if someone had asked it before. If someone else had asked it I would not have bothered littering the chat feed with my thread.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Avicularia/Ybyrapora can have pink toes, white toes, salmon-coloured toes...as long as the tips of the 'feet' are light coloured, it's an Avicularia/Ybyrapora species. If the specimen in the shop is an arboreal and doesn't have this distinctive feature, it isn't a genus you want to dive into as your first ;)

Great to see they haven't abandoned their sales of OW spiders.. :shifty:
sigh