Avicularia sling died

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've never kept any of my Avicularinae entirely dry. My slings are kept on slightly moist sub like any other NW species and I overflow the dish for my juvies/adults now and again, if your ventilation is on point then it's not an issue.
(I know cold blood has worked you over on this one, but since you quoted me I feel compelled to respond...)

Good for you. We are not discussing you nor your sling. We are trying to help a new person who has made common mistakes in regards to moisture vs ventilation ratios. So please go with the flow, yeah?

I have to admit I don't see the benefits of having moist substrate with pure arboreal Ts like Avics either. Moist substrate only benefits the spider if it's right above said substrate to moisten their book lungs or for drinking from the sub (at least that's my understanding of it). But Avics aren't/shouldn't be on the ground and they can't absorb moisture through the air, so, why have moist substrate?
Exactly.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I’ve had avic slings almost die from lack of moisture, yes the water dish was full. This is personal experience NOT some story from a friend of a friend.

I’m with grym on this one. That’s why I’ve always suggested misting the side of the inclosure or the web(I do a couple times a week but it depends on A) how much ventilation and B) how dry the room is)
I put a bit of water in the substrate too.

Every situation is different so u can’t just have a cookie cutter response.
Watch your T’s every day and look for odd behaviour.

cold blood

Staff member
I’m with grym on this one. That’s why I’ve always suggested misting the side of the inclosure or the web(I do a couple times a week but it depends on A) how much ventilation and B) how dry the room is)
I put a bit of water
As i said, that was a lack of water...solved as you said, by simply misting the side or web....it had nothing to do with moisture content in the substrate.

And AGAIN, what grym said wasnt wrong, it just wasnt the best newbie info to offer.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I keep my Avics (including slings) on dry substrate, but I drip water onto their webbing in case they aren't going to their water dishes.