Avicularia shipped in sustrate and arrived dead

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
There is something to be learned from Backwater, especially if you own a business...

If you rank at the top of Google (or pay to do so), and if you have a decent website, you can be successful even if you are totally shit at your job! Hahaha...

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Yea i purchased a 3 inch B. hamorii (fka smithi) from them and it was alive when i received it, but it was in just a deli container with what looked like top soil. I was new to the hobby (and still am i guess) so i didn't know any better. Even though my experience was a solid one, i wont order from these fools again. it's clear to me now that they don't know what they're doing

Shaithisferenczy

Arachnopeon
Can anyone tell me if this is considered a good shipping practice? I bought from backwaterreptiles.com and they shipped me a pink toe sling in a vial about half full and it arrived dead. They want me to pay them another $40 to reship and frankly I think it's robbery given they shipped it in dirt and it was such a small sling it got battered in overnight shipping.

I thought they were supposed to ship them in loosely packed tissue as this is how I've gotten them in the past and never had an issue. They claim this is a fine shipping process. I just want to hear what others here think about it.
I am but a lowly novice but for what it's worth every tarantula I've bought came in the likes of disposable camera film tubes etc wrapped in tissue. If I was to ever send a tarantula through the post I would never have it in substrate,its just asking be to knocked around and battered to death. Sorry this happened to you dood :(

Shaithisferenczy

Arachnopeon
I'm in the UK and I've heard/read nothing but bad things about them.

People getting sent the wrong size/sex/species, DOAs galore, just bad news all round.

I have had one T (Euathlus sp. 'Red') that was shipped in a vial with substrate and tissue, it arrived alive and well (it was a bit of a mission to find in the vial though).
Thanks for the info, been looking at them but will stay away now. You're really lucky having the Euathlus, lovely species! I'm desperate for another

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
If you think Backwater is crap, which they are, then do something about it. Fill out an online review. This board is massive; if enough people leave negative feedback about their Tarantula issues, it will make them take notice.

I looked for them on Google maps to leave a google review, but they’re suspiciously not listed on Google maps. They’re also not on Yelp. I did find these review sites though...

https://www.facebook.com/BackwaterReptiles/

https://www.bbb.org/sacramento/busi...backwater-reptiles-inc-in-rocklin-ca-47039793

http://mythreecents.com/reviews/backwaterreptiles

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks for the info, been looking at them but will stay away now. You're really lucky having the Euathlus, lovely species! I'm desperate for another
They're US based so we'll never deal with them but says a lot when their reputation is so gash that people halfway across the world know to avoid them like the plague.

I wanted 2 of them but the geezer only had one left, the one I got is cool though, a little on the skittish side but quite an enthusiastic eater and almost always out, starting to get its adult colours now.

Drenalin

Arachnopeon
Can anyone tell me if this is considered a good shipping practice? I bought from backwaterreptiles.com and they shipped me a pink toe sling in a vial about half full and it arrived dead. They want me to pay them another $40 to reship and frankly I think it's robbery given they shipped it in dirt and it was such a small sling it got battered in overnight shipping.

I thought they were supposed to ship them in loosely packed tissue as this is how I've gotten them in the past and never had an issue. They claim this is a fine shipping process. I just want to hear what others here think about it.
I ordered a juvie King Baboon and a juvie OBT a few years ago. They were packaged and shipped in two separate deli cups at the same time in the same package. The odd thing was when I unpackaged them, the King Baboon was in the deli cup with about an inch of loose, moist potting soil. The OBT was packed in its deli cup comfortably sandwiched between moist paper towels. The King Baboon was near death obviously having been beaten around by the potting soil and took several hours to warm up and take its first steps. I had to chase the OBT around as soon as I removed the top layer of paper towels.
Didn't make sense why one was packaged incorrectly while the other was done right.
This, as many of the previous posts, is why I'll refrain from sending my business to them.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter