AVICULARIA REVISION PUBLISHED!

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm very disappointed only cladistics was used, and no DNA was done.
YES! Me, too. And for some reason they put Heteroscodra and Stromatopelma in Aviculariinae and I really can't see that - DNA would have been really helpful.

If I can find funding somewhere I want to do DNA from spiders in the hobby, starting with mine. I'm a molecular biologist, I'm doing DNA sequencing all day long and I'm seriously thinking about how I can manage to get a few spiders sequenced in our lab...

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Am I the only one disappointed that my Avic wasn't one of those moved to a different genus. My poor purpurea juvie stays an Avic :( On the other hand, this gives me a perfect excuse to get a versicolor. "It's a completely different genus, honey, I don't have a Caribena!"

Edit: even as a scientist, I screw up latin sometimes. To be fair, I'm not a biologist...

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think I missed something in this thread for Avicularia metallica. I see where it says it doesn't exist anymore. Is this one that we don't know the new name (at least until the publication is final)?

boina

Lady of the mites
I think I missed something in this thread for Avicularia metallica. I see where it says it doesn't exist anymore. Is this one that we don't know the new name (at least until the publication is final)?
The publication is final. Once it's published it's final and can't be changed or added too. A metallica stays A met until someone decides otherwise. Nomen dubium just means they haven't looked or the material wasn't complete and propose that someone else should have a look or asign a new neotype. Since it is highly unpractical to disregard half of all Avics names they still should be used until something better comes along.

The main rule, as stated by the ICZN is: Taxa indicated as nomina dubia cannot be used as the basis of further taxonomic acts;
it does not state that the name can't be used anymore.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
In my opinion, this is all bs..:mad: I feel so infuriated but I guess I better get used to it :eek:
seriously? im surprised by alot of the reactions in this thread.. o_O is it that hard to remember a different name?? i would think people would be happy theraphosidae research is coming along but alot of people seem to just be whining about it. :confused:
i for one, am seriously happy some one went through and better classified one of my favorite genera, and im surprised not many others seem to think the same..

petkokc

Arachnosquire
@Venom1080 I'm personally disappointed only in the fact that so many species were left out. I don't really know about scientific stuff and how long does it takes for it, but to me revision should mean you review all species, not just remove majority of species that you see fit, it looks like a half done job to me.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm personally disappointed only in the fact that so many species were left out. I don't really know about scientific stuff and how long does it takes for it, but to me revision should mean you review all species, not just remove majority of species that you see fit, it looks like a half done job to me.
Science, including taxonomy, is a work in progress. While it would be great to have the whole genus reexamined in one article, it is far better to have some of the work done (and published) than none of it.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
seriously? im surprised by alot of the reactions in this thread.. o_O is it that hard to remember a different name?? i would think people would be happy theraphosidae research is coming along but alot of people seem to just be whining about it. :confused:
i for one, am seriously happy some one went through and better classified one of my favorite genera, and im surprised not many others seem to think the same..
I have struggled all my life with memorization. Learning disorder. And I'm 3/4 joking, too. I've only been at this a year, so taxonomy is still a bit overwhelming.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have struggled all my life with memorization. Learning disorder. And I'm 3/4 joking, too. I've only been at this a year, so taxonomy is still a bit overwhelming.
I set taxonomic revisions as auto-corrects in Word in case I forget.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It is just human nature i think. When it is warm, it is too hot. When it is cold it is too cold. :D