Species Avicularia purpurea

Waxen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a chance to buy that little lady from Scott at the show but I chose the A. versicolor female that he had instead. Either T is a great choice as they are both gorgeous. :) Good luck down the road with getting an eggsac from that girl.

-Jason

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had asked Scott about bringing an A purpurea to the show for me. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he had 3 for me to choose from. A versis are gorgeous too! This one was from SouthernSpiderWorks. Had it since it was 1.5 inches. Amazing color changes!

Attachments

Greaper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you sure that Purpurea isnt a male? Those legs look ultra "leggy" to me.

AcidQueen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Magnificent species you got there! I have one myself (the spider in my avatar is my A. purpurea) and she's about to molt.
Last molt she started showing her purple color, so I think after this molt she'll
be gorgeous :eek:
Congrats on your girl!

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Greaper said:
It's supposed to be a female. I couldn't look at the molt as avics tend to really twist up the abdomen on the exuvium...I am surely not a sexing expert. As for the "legginess" IMO all the arboreals are quite leggy!

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Greaper said:
I don't see any hooks. "Leggy" legs as you put it :) are not a good indicator for mature males.

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Regardless of hooks and legs. That's a beautiful T!!!

I've just moved A. purpurea to the top of my T wanted list. :drool:

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice T indeed! How much did you pay for one at that size?

Brett

MikeW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is a great looking spider! :worship: You should be proud! How big is she now?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lasiodora said:
I don't see any hooks. "Leggy" legs as you put it :) are not a good indicator for mature males.
i imagine what that person means is that even before they are mature sometimes an indication of a male's greater leg length to carapace width ratio can be seen. it is a skill some of the greats claim to be able to use with varying degrees of success

i prefer ventral or molt sexing, myself, however :)

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I see. I'd never heard that before. A male purp I had matured at 2-2.5" and wasn't leggy at all as a sub-adult. In fact most males I've had never seemed "leggier" than their female counter parts as sub-adults. In any case, nice spider.
Mike

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MikeW said:
That is a great looking spider! :worship: You should be proud! How big is she now?
Almost as big as the Blaptica Dubia roaches I got :D
She was 3 inches before the molt...didn't measure her yet as she is still pretty much resting.

David DeVries

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful pair of spiders. Love the purple overtones! :clap:

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get incredible stuff from Scott Crowe, Even if it was a male , What A gorgeous Avic. "Love that purple color" I think I will have to get a couple Purpurea !

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just some new pics after a successful re-tanking. i don't know why the first turned out so small.

Last edited:

Canfire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how do those set ups with the critter keepers sideways work? can you open it properly and such?

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well by the way
make sure u put masking tape or something on the bottom of the lid
i tried it and it works well through the middle opening lid

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, she's made a huge web in the corner. i really have to take a pic.