avicularia purpurea

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
So, I'm thinking of picking up another T, an Avic Purpurea. What is the disposition of this guy? I'm assuming same requirements as other avics? I currently have a versicolor, and I love this genus so far. My buddy and I are planning to buy a piar of slings for 60$ from a local pet store we are friendly with. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Cheers,

Josh

Apollo Justice

Arachnoknight
So, I'm thinking of picking up another T, an Avic Purpurea. What is the disposition of this guy? I'm assuming same requirements as other avics? I currently have a versicolor, and I love this genus so far. My buddy and I are planning to buy a piar of slings for 60$ from a local pet store we are friendly with. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Cheers,

Josh
They are great! And my personal favorite out of all my tarantulas. My female has never given me a threat posture but every tarantula is different. From what I've experienced they grow a bit slower than normal avics. As far as care requirements treat it like any other Avic and you'll do fine.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gsesav

Tarac

Arachnolord
Mine is about the same as the others I have. I have metallica, versicolor I recently got as a gift from a fellow AB member and some unidentified brownish juvie female that may just be a slow-to-color-up avicularia. I notice no major differences in their attitudes or care, personally. Purpurea is my favorite of the bunch although the little versi that I was given is a very beautiful sling. Too bad they don't stay that coloration.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have 3 slings, all of them are so far VERY shy and web the most of all of my Avic slings. From what I read / heard, these are skittish, but calm in general. However, some have an attitude as well. So don't get too comfortable having a mellow one!

Great choice by the way - A. purpurea look AWESOME!

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
Awesome, you guys made my mind up then. I fear I will have many more by the end of the summer!!! Wifey won't be happy, but I will!!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Look up A. juruensis...or A. diversipes - those are CERTAINLY gonna end up on your wishlist, too. At least I take a guess they will :D

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
Yea don't even get me searching haha. The A. diversipes looks incredible though....

Apollo Justice

Arachnoknight
Yea don't even get me searching haha. The A. diversipes looks incredible though....
Agreed, although out of all my avics the A. diversipes has been the most defensive. the 2 that i own will not hesitate to throw up a threat posture at me

Kris M

Arachnopeon
I got six new slings yesterday, (1 to 9 now), and one of them was A. purperea along with versicolor and amazonica.

He's a cute little guy, especially the threat display he threw me when I took him out of the vial!
No webbing from him yet, although my amazonica has built himself a hammock. Took him about 2 hours to start a little bit of webbing going on.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I got six new slings yesterday, (1 to 9 now), and one of them was A. purperea along with versicolor and amazonica.

He's a cute little guy, especially the threat display he threw me when I took him out of the vial!
No webbing from him yet, although my amazonica has built himself a hammock. Took him about 2 hours to start a little bit of webbing going on.
Yep, purpurea, diversipes and laeta are known to be somewhat more on the defensive side sometimes. My purpureas are totally shy still, haven't seen anything from them but instantly vanishing into their webbings and pulling their legs up if disturbed. The diversipes is skittish as hell though, curious how it's now after a molt once it shows up again....