avicularia purpurea (purple pink toe tarantula) advices?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
@Whitelightning777 You mentioned several times in your posts that both of your Ts have molted once. How is making it through one molt a success for you? How is it that you think your made up methods trump others who have had success for years with this species? There have been many failures and successes in this hobby over years and years. There are so many people on AB who are willing to help and share their knowledge so you can be successful in this hobby. Not a single person wants to see you fail at this. If you fail, it ends in a dead T. and nobody wants that. Please consider listening and changing a few things about your setup. This isn't a game. This is actually life and death for your animal. Don't be so proud.

Telling someone to shut off the heating lights etc is basically a trick designed to get them to kill off their pets!!
Are you serious? Why? Why would anyone want you to kill your animals? I am here because I LOVE animals. I LOVE inverts and I want to be successful in this hobby just like I want you to be successful.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
If this is a cult, will somebody please let me know who the cult leader is? I need to befriend that person. Also, how do I move up in rank? Does it go by years of experience or? :rofl:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Oh my god. Even people on -that- forum tell him his enclosure is too big!! :rofl::rofl: AND that TKG is outdated. But we're all a cult here, pffffff.

Oh sorry, this is supposed to be his vengeance post. We should play along.

Oh no, WL777, you've exposed us all for the inexperienced fools that we are!! I know it's late, but I've -got- to run to the nearest 24/7 pet store and get a heat lamp and a hygrometer so I can do things correctly. I've never been so wrong in my life, and truly-- I am humbled and in awe by you. How can we ever thank you for coming along to tell us that the system people used to use with high mortality rates is actually the best way to raise tarantulas?? Where were you years ago, when this hobby was suffering from the lack of your tutelage??

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Good to know.
Sjeez, I never said that all heating devices were bad...I use a heatcable myself!
Pompous comes to mind...a lot.

boina

Lady of the mites
I didn't know there were conspiracy theorists even in the tarantula hobby :confused::eek:

1. What the ... would anyone gain from getting you to kill off your pets?
2. Why would anyone want you to wast your money? Nobody here is going to get it, after all.
3. Why would you believe a corporation of all things to give you honest and unselfish advice when, on the other hand, you believe every uninvolved tarantula keeper is out to get you??
4. And why do you keep bringing up other pets (Lasiodora, scorpions) with different needs and more importantly different sensitivities when we are talking about Avics?

There's not even any inherent logic in any of your posts.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I didn't know there were conspiracy theorists even in the tarantula hobby :confused::eek:

1. What the ... would anyone gain from getting you to kill off your pets?
2. Why would anyone want you to wast your money? Nobody here is going to get it, after all.
3. Why would you believe a corporation of all things to give you honest and unselfish advice when, on the other hand, you believe every uninvolved tarantula keeper is out to get you??
4. And why do you keep bringing up other pets (Lasiodora, scorpions) with different needs and more importantly different sensitivities when we are talking about Avics?

There's not even any inherent logic in any of your posts.
@boina If I've learned anything about conspiracy theorists, it is that nothing will change their mind. They don't make any sense and when presented with a logical, scientific argument they balk and backtrack and repeat their original argument-- CAN A TARANTULA RLY LIVE @ SUCH LOW TEMPS N HUMIDITY??? dint think so lozrs.

Just look at the thread he made about this on the other board. He's totally delusional in the way he tells it over there. Like a pathological liar, who has become so deluded that their story is nothing but the absolute truth and everyone presenting facts and evidence are just trying to hold him down from the truth.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Actually, others have sadly enough had issues here. Read the entire thing over there if you must.

I have to just disagree. 68-70 degrees and the low humidity around 40% or so might or might not be fatal, but they can't be ideal for critters that live close to the equator in weather that would give many Americans heatstroke who weren't acclimated to it.

Perhaps I'm an idiot. I just try to copy what nature has done for millions of years.

Look at it another way. Let's say you were captured by aliens and offered 2 choices.

1 live in their conditions, which are 1.5x earth gravity, 50 degrees temperature, 30% humidity all in a prison cell based on ones used in supermax units.

2 live in a gymnasium sized cage with conditions mimicking Earth's climate from the town where you grew up.

The choice is obvious. Of course, none of those conditions in either case are 100% genuine, but #2 is a lot closer and far less stressful.

You'd be far less likely to have panic attacks or attempt escape. You'd also be far less likely to physically assault the aliens when they entered your cage for maintenance or other purposes.

And no, I'm not suggesting that aliens exist, unless you're a tarantula being kept by a human!!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Actually, others have sadly enough had issues here. Read the entire thing over there if you must.

I have to just disagree. 68-70 degrees and the low humidity around 40% or so might or might not be fatal, but they can't be ideal for critters that live close to the equator in weather that would give many Americans heatstroke who weren't acclimated to it.

Perhaps I'm an idiot. I just try to copy what nature has done for millions of years.

Look at it another way. Let's say you were captured by aliens and offered 2 choices.

1 live in their conditions, which are 1.5x earth gravity, 50 degrees temperature, 30% humidity all in a prison cell based on ones used in supermax units.

2 live in a gymnasium sized cage with conditions mimicking Earth's climate from the town where you grew up.

The choice is obvious. Of course, none of those conditions in either case are 100% genuine, but #2 is a lot closer and far less stressful.

You'd be far less likely to have panic attacks or attempt escape. You'd also be far less likely to physically assault the aliens when they entered your cage for maintenance or other purposes.

And no, I'm not suggesting that aliens exist, unless you're a tarantula being kept by a human!!
Again!! This screams ignorance. Tarantulas are not humans, you can not compare the two! Especially when it comes to mental problems like panic attacks... That's simply absurd.

You can not fully copy what nature does. That's been beaten to death now.

Low 70s are fine. 60s are not optimal.

Humidity does not need to be measured
These animals live in trees with many breezes! The humidity is low, regardless of their geographical location.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The humidity in my building is kept at a level designed to harm inverts, namely roaches centipedes and native true spiders.

Whether that will also harm tarantulas or not is debatable. I don't want to find out the hard way!!

Tree level conditions also include wind, or at least the occasional tropical breeze!!

I want to speed up the growth rate slightly because slings are more vulnerable to a variety of issues and have an overall higher mortality rate then juveniles or adults.

If you look at footage of OBT or some others when transfers or maintenance happens, it's hard not to think that some type of fight/flight response is occurring. Ditto for those that try to escape instead of attack. Watch transfer videos on YouTube of which there are thousands.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The humidity in my building is kept at a level designed to harm inverts, namely roaches centipedes and native true spiders.

Whether that will also harm tarantulas or not is debatable. I don't want to find out the hard way!!

Tree level conditions also include wind, or at least the occasional tropical breeze!!

I want to speed up the growth rate slightly because slings are more vulnerable to a variety of issues and have an overall higher mortality rate then juveniles or adults.

If you look at footage of OBT or some others when transfers or maintenance happens, it's hard not to think that some type of fight/flight response is occurring. Ditto for those that try to escape instead of attack. Watch transfer videos on YouTube of which there are thousands.
Consider a closet. Or a cabinet like I mentioned 3 times now.

Air flow is a positive. But aiming a fan at a spiders cage-- especially one with near zero cover like yours-- is ridiculous.

Of course breezes happen, that's probably why these animals do better at lower humiditys.

Heat lamps stress out spiders. These animals hunt in the dark, aiming a lamp at them is a bad idea. A heat mat would work much better.

All in all , your cage had low vent, bright lights, high humidity, and a fan pointed at it. It would be laughable if a animal didn't depend on it for survival.

boina

Lady of the mites

The average temps in the city I grew up in are actually somewhere around 50F... But I grew up in a microclimate of my own making (i.e. inside a house). So if you put me in the climate I grew up in it would be cold and wet and I'd die pretty soon of pneumonia. That's exactly what you are doing with your Avic.

For the umpteenth time: You are NOT putting your Avic in the environment its relatives live in - because you have no clue what that is. Averages do not mean a .... thing. You put your Avic in an environment that your fantasy made up to be what it needs.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
They can't see red spectrum light, which is why that tint exists for it.

I'll create more holes and measure the levels again. I'm not misting, spraying or anything else. Water all goes into the dish or if the cup is empty, one drop in the web first.

I'm getting sick of replacing USB fans!!

There's 2 areas that don't have holes, but face out. The paper background doesn't have to be there either.

Stay tuned. I'll update the data one I get new measurements for humidity again.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The condensation hasn't returned, but now she seems to react more to people passing by but not excessively.

I'm paranoid about keeping that water dish full!!

Overall, there's no significant change in behavior except for slightly more of a reaction.

The temperature is 2 degrees cooler, but that's not really the end of the world either.