avicularia purpurea (purple pink toe tarantula) advices?

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
i am new to arachnid world as a collector. i have high passions to collect since i was teenager, but unable to do so until now. i will start with my two Heterometrus longimanus (asian forest scorpions) upcoming this friday as my pets. i'm very exciting to have them.

but avicularia purpurea (purple pink toe tarantula) is the one that i would love to have. i would love to have that tarantula probably want to get it by next month or the opportunity strikes if i could find a tarantula with marks that i'd like to have as my collector pet.

yes, i know there's may few threads down here about avicularia tarantulas' terrariums and all. but it would be nice if i could have some advices or feedbacks to have a best terrarium/feeding possible for that tarantula i will buy to feel like a home. as i still will continue look around internet and this forum to acknowledge it more and preparing a terrarium for my tarantula.

thanks.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Well i keep Avicularia Versicolor which has the same care and find that a vertical enclosure with good cross ventilation and very slightly moist mold resistant substrate works best(springtails are an ideal cleaner crew because these guys don't tolerate stagnant air or moldy enclosures). Providing a piece of cork bark is a good idea and sometimes utilized for making a web but mine usually web on the top corner of the enclosure. Avics are awesome and can be slightly skittish but overall are extremely well tempered and I've never managed to provoke a threat pose from one of mine, they also eat really well for me and I feed every 4 or 5 days.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. purpurea are somewhat iffy from my own experiences. They depend even more on good ventilation and stuffy air will kill them quickly! They're slightly more opportunistic than other Avicularia species, as these even accepted hides lower to the ground, rather than spinning up the top like every other Avic does mainly. I've raised mine in 500ml jars with holes around the circumference and a part of the lid plastic mesh just fine. Later rehoused them into 2gal rubbermaid jars that they lived in just fine. Again - drill a number of holes around the circumference of the jar, not only on top, but around the middle too and not too small. Oh, they max out around ~5" and are somewhat photosensitive.

Keep them around 20-22°C with ample ventilation, dry substrate and an oversized (for them) waterdish that's always full.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Of the 10 species of Avics I've raised from slings, purpurea have been the slowest growing, but then the adults are on the small side. Slings/juveniles love to spin profusely in deli cups.

The thrive in the standard Avic set up: dry substrate, cross ventilation, full water bowl, cork and plastic plants for anchor points, and no misting except for slings (and then only weekly and very lightly on their silk).

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
thanks. yeah, i'm familiar with humidity and ventilation is the "cons" of that tarantula's care sheet, but overall they are one of beginners tarantula to own if i can take care of humidity/ventilation. do size of terrarium matters depend on tarantulas? yes, i know they are arboreal (tall) terrarium pets. i plan to buy exo-terra terrarium for this tarantula which they apparently have good ventilation access and they open on side instead from the top.

if i want to buy a sling, it would be good idea to rehousing them small into bigger terrarium upon their growing process or i can just put it in terrarium she will stay for good?

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
Well i keep Avicularia Versicolor which has the same care and find that a vertical enclosure with good cross ventilation and very slightly moist mold resistant substrate works best(springtails are an ideal cleaner crew because these guys don't tolerate stagnant air or moldy enclosures). Providing a piece of cork bark is a good idea and sometimes utilized for making a web but mine usually web on the top corner of the enclosure. Avics are awesome and can be slightly skittish but overall are extremely well tempered and I've never managed to provoke a threat pose from one of mine, they also eat really well for me and I feed every 4 or 5 days.
do you clean their web housing or leave way it is, but clean the soil regularly beside changing water daily.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i plan to buy exo-terra terrarium for this tarantula which they apparently have good ventilation access and they open on side instead from the top.
Not to this! Exo-Terras are bad choices for Avics in general! Yes, I know opinions and experiences here vary, but the fact remains that with the meshtop, most if not all of the humidity provided by the waterdish simply evaporates into nothingness. Additionally, there's the risk (not saying it will happen, but it can!) of the tarantula getting stuck in the very same mesh with it's tarsal claws. (You know they have retractable claws like cats, right?) - these are better suited for terrestrials if at all - because there are way cheaper solutions as those. IMO still one of the most overprices enclosures...

You upgrade their enclosure gradually, basically in a way that it'll last for 3-4 molt cycles in the current one before having to rehouse again. Ever rehous is stress for the animal to some degree and it has to get used to new digs every time, so we try to keep it as seldom as possible. You could potentially raise a sling in an oversized end-enclosure, but chances are the little one won't find its food in there, or you may think it escaped because of not being able to find it - they can hide pretty well if they want to at that size :).

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
Not to this! Exo-Terras are bad choices for Avics in general! Yes, I know opinions and experiences here vary, but the fact remains that with the meshtop, most if not all of the humidity provided by the waterdish simply evaporates into nothingness. Additionally, there's the risk (not saying it will happen, but it can!) of the tarantula getting stuck in the very same mesh with it's tarsal claws. (You know they have retractable claws like cats, right?) - these are better suited for terrestrials if at all - because there are way cheaper solutions as those. IMO still one of the most overprices enclosures...

You upgrade their enclosure gradually, basically in a way that it'll last for 3-4 molt cycles in the current one before having to rehouse again. Ever rehous is stress for the animal to some degree and it has to get used to new digs every time, so we try to keep it as seldom as possible. You could potentially raise a sling in an oversized end-enclosure, but chances are the little one won't find its food in there, or you may think it escaped because of not being able to find it - they can hide pretty well if they want to at that size :).
any brands you'd recommend to buy a tall or arboreal terrariums? i plan to collect several tarantulas, yes. but i just plan to build a "showcase" individiual terrarium for this avicularia to live in.

i'm glad you mentioned about mesh, it's just what i need to hear in different perspective of owning it as i never own it. harming or stressing tarantulas are the last thing i want to do. i do agreed that the exo-terras are overpriced a bit, since there aren't much terrariums brands i like to see to buy at beginning.

cold blood

Staff member
The humidity thing is over-rated, the cross ventilation is much more important. A water dish is your humidity control, coupled with proper ventilation.

I don't think an avic is a great beginner, and in the realm of Avicularia, purpurea may be one of the poorer choices as they can be quite sensitive. If you do go avic, definitely get an adult, or at least a juvenile, I would strongly advise your first not to be an avic sling.

Where in WI do you live? pm me if you prefer.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't think an avic is a great beginner, and in the realm of Avicularia, purpurea may be one of the poorer choices as they can be quite sensitive. If you do go avic, definitely get an adult, or at least a juvenile, I would strongly advise your first not to be an avic sling.
+1. It's very common for people to lose their first Avic, or first few Avics (this forum has had more than it's share of 'My Dead Avic' threads). They have a narrow range of acceptable conditions. It's best to get a feel for tarantulas by starting with some of the calmer NW terrestrials.

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
The humidity thing is over-rated, the cross ventilation is much more important. A water dish is your humidity control, coupled with proper ventilation.

Where in WI do you live? pm me if you prefer.
no problem, that's why i'm just asking in here that reply me personally, even i do read several other threads so i can acknowledged to prevent the worst case scenarios when i'm ready to own one. i do have other beginner tarantulas in my mind before this to familiarize with tarantulas.

since i started a conversation with you in PM, you may see why i'm after "purpurea" to make it special tarantula, haha.

cold blood

Staff member
since i started a conversation with you in PM, you may see why i'm after "purpurea" to make it special tarantula, haha.
Boooo, purple can be such an ugly color.:bored:

You need a P. cambridgei and an A. ezendami (green and gold spiders) if you want to see beauty.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
since i started a conversation with you in PM, you may see why i'm after "purpurea" to make it special tarantula.
Not sure what you're getting at, but color is not a good reason to select a tarantula. It works out better for both the owner and spider if the species is a good fit for the person's experience/skill level.

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
Boooo, purple can be such an ugly color.:bored:

You need a P. cambridgei and an A. ezendami (green and gold spiders) if you want to see beauty.
haha, good one. yet, i might will buy one or both in future, eventually. but it will not be a "5-stars PLUS" terrarium i will make purpurea one, lol.

cold blood

Staff member
Not sure what you're getting at, but color is not a good reason to select a tarantula. It works out better for both the owner and spider if the species is a good fit for the person's experience/skill level.
He's a Vikings fan.:confused::vomit::banghead::bored:

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a C. lividum as my first spider, and that turned out fine for me. Then I went into baboons, avics, pokies, etc. I never even got into calmer terrestrial NW species until a year into the hobby. There really isn't a whole lot of experience necessary with tarantulas. You just have to be responsible and confident about keeping them.

My first avic was an adult female A. versicolor, followed shortly by a juvie female A. purpurea. I later raised the purpurea to maturity and bred her. Got a nice batch of babies out of her.

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
The T that started it al for me is my GBB...Tebow. Grew up in Florida,actually wasn't a gator fan...
Ya,Cold,I've seen extra care requirements for purps,but in my experience,this doesn't seem to be the case. Ventilation. Moving air. Water dish. Pretty much covers it.
Still waiting on eggsac from my purp breeding shot,hoping any day now.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
- I got a C. lividum as my first spider, and that turned out fine for me. Then I went into baboons, avics, pokies, etc.
- There really isn't a whole lot of experience necessary with tarantulas. You just have to be responsible and confident about keeping them.
- That won't work out well for most people, who aren't expecting them to be so fast and feisty. Particularly if they live with other people, cats, and dogs. An escape drags everyone in the home into it, and we have no shortage of Escape threads here. Far better to have a slow NW loose than the ones you started with.

- Without experience, how do people know what 'responsible' and 'confident' means? It's relative to the animals, and if they haven't worked with these animals, they're guessing.