Avicularia Purpurea enclosure size

SaraSpider

Arachnopeon
Hey, so my mom is considering getting this species and she has got a Exo terra 45x45x45 Cm Exo terra.. i told her that might just be too big for Avic, but she won't listen, what should i do? will it be an issue? i know alot of "pro" owners using small to medium sized vertical enclosures for their arboreals ..

cold blood

Staff member
Purpurea is also one of the smaller Avics...and unless she buys an adult...also one of the slower growing avics.

The enclosure in question would leave a lot of wasted space...but for an adult it could work.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It has taken over a year for my 1/2" spiderling to reach about 2" and my group are kept warm and I don't skimp on meals for spiderlings.

SaraSpider

Arachnopeon
Purpurea is also one of the smaller Avics...and unless she buys an adult...also one of the slower growing avics.

The enclosure in question would leave a lot of wasted space...but for an adult it could work.
yeah i know.. i told her its wasted space cause it most likely will not be an adult, but she thinks "bigger is better" but thats not always the case :/

cold blood

Staff member
yeah i know.. i told her its wasted space cause it most likely will not be an adult, but she thinks "bigger is better" but thats not always the case :/
No...but most people new to the hobby have this misconception, as ts are just different than the animals they are used to or have experience with.....just look at the giant hides new people use, an experienced keeper knows they prefer dark, tight places, and a big open hide is basically useless....yet its something new keepers don't even consider.

Smaller enclosures make it easier for the spider, and for the keeper.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They can grow fast. My male sling grew and matured fast within a year, on crickets at a 72F day/ night