Avicularia pagoda - final answer!

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
This is my last acrylic enclosure design for a while, because I'm now out of materials from my initial acrylic purchase to make anything else. Plus, I am only going to have 3 spiders after next weekend's additions, so I don't need any more enclosures.

The gaps in this are on three sides and are 1/16" wide. There are spacers at each corner the thickness of the material. So I think this should be good for keeping a little .75" sling in and not out, but even so I might cover it in screen temporarily until I'm sure. This is really quite tall and it doesn't need to be this tall, but I got going and didn't stop. It's 2.25" x 2.75" x 9".

I like this design much more than the one I made with vertical ventilation slits. I hope my new little A. versi will like it, too! I'm planning to set it on a shallow tray of pebbles and water to keep up the ambient humidity surrounding the enclosure.

Hope you enjoy!

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Wow! That looks super cool! Only thing is, with so much ventilation I doubt a humidity tray will supply the needed humidity. Depends on the room humidity though.

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
I'm planning to set it on a shallow tray of pebbles and water to keep up the ambient humidity surrounding the enclosure.
I will have to try this! Does it really work? Seems like a great way to up the humidity levels. How often do you change the water/pebbles? I have several arboreals arriving this week and I have been looking for new ideas. Also, I bet your A. versicolor is going to love this enclosure. :biggrin:

~Dano

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
Thanks, guys! I am now in possession of my little A. versi, and it is so tiny that I decided not to put it in that tall enclosure and have it in one of those boxes that people get at Michael's with plenty of holes drilled in it. And honestly, at $1.29 for that little box . . .

I will make something with different proportions for when my versi needs to be re-housed. It will be similar, but perhaps with less ventilation since maybe what I built in was overkill? I dunno. We shall see. I am super happy with the terrestrial box I made, and when my versi is bigger I can make an arboreal set-up with fewer, larger vents to provide ventilation without the visual interference of so many vents. I can already see that I like being able to see the versi's webbing, so I want to minimize the visual obstructions (holes, vents, etc.) while still providing the right microclimate for the spidey.

I'll surely post photos of the next thing!

p.s. I should think that putting the enclosure in a tray of pebbles and water should work. That's what the orchid people do to provide sufficient humidity levels for their plants.

I will have to try this! Does it really work? Seems like a great way to up the humidity levels. How often do you change the water/pebbles? I have several arboreals arriving this week and I have been looking for new ideas. Also, I bet your A. versicolor is going to love this enclosure. :biggrin:

~Dano