Avicularia just molted, won't leave web

cream cheese

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I have an Avicularia (just from a pet store, probably A. avic) that molted a week ago and has not yet left the web cocoon it made. I wanted to rehouse it because it's in a crappy KK from the pet store, but I don't want to disturb it. I haven't tried to feed it yet and I haven't even removed the molt! Should I wait a little longer or should I just drop a roach in and see what happens? It moves around sometimes but not as much as my rosea did after its molt.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just make sure the waterdish is full and what what TownesVanZandt said ;)
It'll come out when it's ready. Don't throw feeders in there, the avic needs to be up and about before considering food. Don't worry,it'll be okay ;)

cream cheese

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I figured leaving it alone would be best, but I'm sort of a newbie and this one is a lot different from my terrestrials. I haven't seen it in a month so I do hope it comes out soon!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The time between now and the T appearing out of the web could be nicely used to already prepare the new enclosure you wanted to give it and iron out anything that may need to be adjusted! :)

Heavnsix

Arachnopeon
My advice would be prep your new enclosure and post pics before you move the T into it. That way you can make any appropriate changes before you move your T in and avoid having to rehouse it multiple times in a weekend like I did! :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I suggest you do a considerable amount of research on Ts for the benefit of your exotic animals. It's clear from your question that you should do more research given that you own a few different Ts based on your replies in this thread.

Remember, make sure the fangs have hardened BEFORE you feed it.

Also, if you haven't already, do a considerable amount of research on Avic housings, look at pictures to see what people have done, BEFORE asking questions, and hopefully BEFORE you rehouse your Avic.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
^ I concur with the previous reply. People need to do research before purchasing animals. Asking questions such as "my spider won't leave its web" is simply unacceptable for me. Spiders know how to be spiders better than us, hence why I never meddle into their business and they always do good on their own.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Leave her be until she comes out on her own. No feeding necessary until that time.

cream cheese

Arachnopeon
I suggest you do a considerable amount of research on Ts for the benefit of your exotic animals. It's clear from your question that you should do more research given that you own a few different Ts based on your replies in this thread.

Remember, make sure the fangs have hardened BEFORE you feed it.

Also, if you haven't already, do a considerable amount of research on Avic housings, look at pictures to see what people have done, BEFORE asking questions, and hopefully BEFORE you rehouse your Avic.
I've tried doing research and have spent a while lurking and searching the boards before posting. Sometimes in research the information is overwhelming, especially while trying to find a seemingly simple answer. The boards have been my main source of knowledge for enclosures and I bought several boxes from the container store based on recommendations and examples I've seen here. My avic is still in its web undisturbed and I wanted to rehouse it out of the KK with bark substrate that I bought it with bc I did want something better for it, and guessed that just asking a question would get me some more personalized answers rather than spending hours retyping different search terms into google. But I will follow the "when in doubt, leave it be" advice.

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
I jumped into keeping,uneducated,inexperienced,winged a lot.
To concur with viper69-that was a terrible idea,and I got extremely lucky.
Again agreeing with the same sentence,it is the T's that suffer when we don't get it right.

I DO see your point,tho,cream cheese. It is difficult sometimes,even with a search,to scour the boards and find a specific answer at times,and there are a LOT of threads here,haha.
Keep at it,keep learning,you'll do ok.

I'm still new myself,to the boards. It seems to me that we are a different breed altogether. Critter Keepers(Ha),and especially T keepers seem to have a bit of social dysfunction,to varying degrees and expressed in various ways(social dysfunction doesn't mean you don't have friends or anything neccessarily).
Ask questions. Take your lumps. Fight back when you feel you have to.
It seems as if the long-timers here respect people that can "take a punch",learn from it,and get back up and try again.

scott99

Arachnoknight
I've tried doing research and have spent a while lurking and searching the boards before posting. Sometimes in research the information is overwhelming, especially while trying to find a seemingly simple answer. The boards have been my main source of knowledge for enclosures and I bought several boxes from the container store based on recommendations and examples I've seen here. My avic is still in its web undisturbed and I wanted to rehouse it out of the KK with bark substrate that I bought it with bc I did want something better for it, and guessed that just asking a question would get me some more personalized answers rather than spending hours retyping different search terms into google. But I will follow the "when in doubt, leave it be" advice.

You should still try to do research on your own. I had to do a lot of research on my own. I read Lot of things and watch lot of videos, long before I even thought of joining this forum. You really can't complain, at least you have access to good information. Think about the Tarantulas keepers in the 70s and 80s, they really didn't have any access to good information like we do now.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Think about the Tarantulas keepers in the 70s and 80s, they really didn't have any access to good information like we do now.
I never found anyone else with a collection in the 1970's. $10 w/c adult female B. smithi being the pet store staple. There were a few of us collectors scattered around the country then, with no way of finding each other. Even reptile people thought we were weird. Thanks to living next door to an animal importer, I was able to eventually get 15 species. Information was scarce, primarily being 'Life of the Tarantula' by Baerg, a book about a few native Aphonopelma he kept. No one had any idea of huge diversity and number of tarantula species the world's tropics held. It wasn't until the 1990's that those came in, in any number (initially w/c, the CBB from Europe), and taxonomists started to work with tarantulas again, after decades of neglect.

The hobby we have today, fueled in large part by the internet, is beyond the wildest dreams of anyone who owned spiders in the 1970's.

cream cheese

Arachnopeon
I spent the night watching rehousing videos on YouTube and woke up to this. It's a lot bigger than I expected and just bit the bullet and bought an exoterra cage on Amazon.

Attachments

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be careful with those exo-terra, they have a metal mesh on the top where heat lamps go. tarantulas, especially arboreal ones (not that they can stick easier, they just climb more) can get stuck or chew through those... I've found a thread that shows how to modify the tops somewhere, I think I actually bookmarked it.