Avicularia genus overview

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I like that idea very much!!! :) I'm gonna change it right away.

So, "experience level" like
- beginner
- intermediate
- experienced/seasoned ;)

And A. merianae would be a beginner or more in between beginner and intermediate?

Edit: I just realised I can't edit my post after 24 (?) hours anymore. :wideyed: My whole idea was built on my belief I would be able to edit my post at any time and link the profiles to the Avics on the list. :confused:

I'm a moderator on a german forum (completely different topic), and there we have loads of lists where we link other posts to. It's great to keep things in order. ;) I'm sorry, I didn't know it wouldn't work here.

But keep the discussion going. IMO it's still a great thing to hear all about those different experiences with Avics. :D
You could contact the mods about this, maybe they can create something like that for you. Debby @Arachnopets, could you do something like this?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is actually named after Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717), a german biologist who drew the first picture of a tarantula eating a bird. :)

Yeah, that's what everybody is saying. :D Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a big arboreal spider yet. She grows quite big, doesn't she? o_O I think I rather have a smaller one, and A. merianae looks beautiful! :astonished:

Correct on species, I had the wrong species see below from 2017

“The second newly discovered species, Avicularia lynnae, occurs in Ecuador and Peru.

“This species is named after Lynn West, wife of mygalomorph expert Rick West,” the authors said.”

metallica females can be 6” maybe 6.5” not huge. My male was 5.5-5 3/4”

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're thinking of Avicularia lynnae. ;)

I wouldn't consider merianae slow growing, maybe compared to other Avicularia but even that I can't say I agree. Definitely fast growing compared to many American terrestrials.

TMK Avicularia sp. "Colombia" is a variant of purpurea. Avicularia merianae is a sister species of purpurea. Very similar not only from a taxonomy stand point but also in behavior, size, growth and looks. My merianae females are 4" DLS easy and fast growing in general terms. Very shy and skittish but not defensive at all...

Avicularia merianae
Mature Female
View attachment 262616

View attachment 262617

Pen-Ultimate Male
View attachment 262618

Mature Male
View attachment 262619

I was, I corrected myself today.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Does anyone know anything about A. santa mission moonlight? Size? Experience level/temper? Growth rate? :)

I found a few pictures, but that's about it. :confused:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Does anyone know anything about A. santa mission moonlight? Size? Experience level/temper? Growth rate? :)

I found a few pictures, but that's about it. :confused:
Just another Avicularia avicularia variant, not much different than pet trade Avicularia avicularia at all, just a different locality. Nothing special.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thanks! That helps a lot. So, I'm definitely gonna stick with the A. merianae for now. The breeder, I'm gonna buy it from, has both Avics for sale, and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss out at something special by any chance. ;) But apparently I won't, so, thanks again. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! That helps a lot. So, I'm definitely gonna stick with the A. merianae for now. The breeder, I'm gonna buy it from, has both Avics for sale, and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss out at something special by any chance. ;) But apparently I won't, so, thanks again. :)
You need A. minatrix, that's a special Avic.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Sorry, the longest time someone may get to edit a post is 48 hours and that is only for Arachnosupporter Plus accounts.

Debby
Whaaaatttt??? You can't do it for her??? ;)
Too busy cleaning up the FB group again, eh??? LOL