Avicularia genus overview

Thekla

Arachnoprince
So, I was looking into the Avicularia genus to decide which one to get and came across this beautiful specimen called Avicularia sp. tarapoto, only to learn that apparently it has been revised to Avicularia merianae. But unfortunately, there isn't much information on this species yet.

And then there's Avicularia sp. "kolumbien" of which I can't find any official information at all. It's not even on the list of the Avicularia genus (I'm referring to the revision paper of March 2017).
And these examples are just the tip of the iceberg. :rolleyes:

I also found @Tomoran's great blogpost about the Avicularia genus revision and that gave me an idea. I'd love to compile a list of short profiles for each species, nomen dubium/nudum, etc. according to Tom Moran's list, basically a simple guideline for research/resource and decision aid purposes. :bookworm:

Also, I don't want to include husbandry/care in these profiles, because (and I think we can agree on that) it's pretty much the same throughout the whole genus and there're already some brilliant compilations for that:

Only if there's something special to know it should be mentioned in the profile.

And that's how such a profile could look like (all the items like size, growth rate, etc. are "on average" of course ;)):

Scientific name:
Common name (if advisable/precise)/synonyms:​
Size (adult - male/female):
Life expectancy (male/female):
Growth rate (slow - medium - fast):
Feeding response:
Behaviour/temperament (sling - juvenile - adult):
Special notes (e.g. special husbandry, origin, etc.):
Pictures (or links):​
Now, all we need are experienced keepers (preferable people who actually keep or kept these species) to fill out this form (just copy it into your post) and I would link their posts to this list:

Avicularia species (verified):
  1. Avicularia avicularia
  2. Avicularia glauca
  3. Avicularia variegata
  4. Avicularia minatrix
  5. Avicularia taunayi
  6. Avicularia juruensis
  7. Avicularia rufa
  8. Avicularia purpurea
  9. Avicularia hirschii
  10. Avicularia merianae
  11. Avicularia lynnae
  12. Avicularia caei
Nomen dubium:
  • Ischnocolus hirsutum
  • Avicularia metallica
  • Ischnocolus gracilis
  • Avicularia arabica
  • Avicularia aurantiaca
  • Araneus hirtipes
  • Avicularia testacea
  • Avicularia detrita
  • Avicularia hirsutissima
  • Avicularia holmbergi
  • Ischnocolus doleschalli
  • Avicularia rapax
  • Avicularia ochracea
  • Avicularia walckenaerii
  • Avicularia azuraklaasi
  • Avicularia braunshauseni
  • Avicularia geroldi
  • Avicularia huriana
  • Avicularia ulrichea
  • Avicularia soratae
  • Avicularia fasciculata
  • Avicularia fasciculata clara
  • Avicularia surinamensis
Nomen nudum:
  • Avicularia vestiaria
New genera:
  • Antillena rickwesti (ex Avicularia rickwesti)
  • Caribena laeta (ex Avicularia laeta)
  • Caribena versicolor (ex Avicularia Versicolor)
  • Ybyrapora gamba (ex Avicularia gamba)
  • Ybyrapora diversipes (ex Avicularia diversipes)
  • Ybryapora sooretama (ex Avicularia sooretama)
Comb. n. (or new combinations)
  • Iridopelma leporina (ex Mygale leporina)
  • Iridopelma plantaris (ex Mygale plantaris)
  • Euathlus affinis (ex Avicularia affinis)
  • Grammostola subvulpina (ex Avicularia subvulpina)
  • Thrixopelma aymara – (ex Eurypelma aymara)

I'm not sure if this last group really belongs here, but I included it for now.

So, what do you think? Is it worth it? Or just a really bad idea? Would you be up for it? Are there any suggestions (for improvement or otherwise)? Remarks? Anything? ;)

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Avicularia merianae is a small Peruvian Avicularia species that is slow growing and maxes out at around 3.5" DLS

Avicularia sp. colombia (kolumbien)
Is a Colombian Avic that is pretty similar to purpurea. It has medium growth rate. It will max out at 4.5" DLS

Thekla

Arachnoprince
World Spider Catalogue has relevant info :)
http://www.wsc.nmbe.ch
Yes, that's true, I get all the detailed info on anatomy, taxonomy, etc., but that's not what I'm looking for. ;)

See, I want to get an Avicularia, but I'm not sure which one as there're so many beautiful Ts in that genus (and unfortunately I can't buy them all :(). So, normally I'd google the scientific names and look at the pictures. Once I see a T I like or that seems interesting, I look for info how to care for them (we've got that covered with the Avic. genus ;)), what their behaviour/temperament is and how big they grow (mostly here on this site). That's important for me in the beginning of my search for a new T, not how they're anatomically built. ;) I want to know if I'm able to care for them properly. And for that I'd love to have first hand info from experienced keepers. Just a simple profile like I suggested. Everything else I know I can get from books and/or scientific papers. I work in the field of medical research, I know how to get this stuff. :D

The info KezyGLA gave was almost perfect, just missing the temperament part. ;)

I hope I made myself more clear. I sometimes seem to fail with that. :p

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Brilliant! :) So, combining your info, we'd have something like this (I'll link this post to the list above):

Scientific name: Avicularia merianae
Common name (if advisable/precise)/synonyms: -
Size (adult - male/female): ~ 3,5" DLS
Life expectancy (male/female): ?
Growth rate (slow - medium - fast): slow
Feeding response: ?
Behaviour/temperament (sling - juvenile - adult): ?
Pictures (or links):
0.1 Avicularia merianae
View attachment 262521

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Brilliant! :) So, combining your info, we'd have something like this (I'll link this post to the list above):

Scientific name: Avicularia merianae
Common name (if advisable/precise)/synonyms: -
Size (adult - male/female): ~ 3,5" DLS
Life expectancy (male/female): ?
Growth rate (slow - medium - fast): slow
Feeding response: ?
Behaviour/temperament (sling - juvenile - adult): ?
Pictures (or links):
Yes, that's true, I get all the detailed info on anatomy, taxonomy, etc., but that's not what I'm looking for. ;)

See, I want to get an Avicularia, but I'm not sure which one as there're so many beautiful Ts in that genus (and unfortunately I can't buy them all :(). So, normally I'd google the scientific names and look at the pictures. Once I see a T I like or that seems interesting, I look for info how to care for them (we've got that covered with the Avic. genus ;)), what their behaviour/temperament is and how big they grow (mostly here on this site). That's important for me in the beginning of my search for a new T, not how they're anatomically built. ;) I want to know if I'm able to care for them properly. And for that I'd love to have first hand info from experienced keepers. Just a simple profile like I suggested. Everything else I know I can get from books and/or scientific papers. I work in the field of medical research, I know how to get this stuff. :D

The info KezyGLA gave was almost perfect, just missing the temperament part. ;)

I hope I made myself more clear. I sometimes seem to fail with that. :p
There have been efforts to put together a 'caresheet' on here. Difficulties people ran into were the high variables in temperament, and preferences of the keepers. Keeper 1 would state for instance 'keep this species dry with a waterdish and high ventilation',and then another keeper would say 'no, keep the substrate moist and mist'. Although a general idea could be possible, details on temperament and keeping vary a lot, maybe too much to put together a workable post/thread/sheet. But if you succeed, that would be great, of course. :)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
There have been efforts to put together a 'caresheet' on here. Difficulties people ran into were the high variables in temperament, and preferences of the keepers. Keeper 1 would state for instance 'keep this species dry with a waterdish and high ventilation',and then another keeper would say 'no, keep the substrate moist and mist'. Although a general idea could be possible, details on temperament and keeping vary a lot, maybe too much to put together a workable post/thread/sheet. But if you succeed, that would be great, of course. :)
Like I said, it wasn't my intention to make care/husbandry sheets, but to construct a simple overview in general. Of course, keeper's opinions about temperament may vary, but in general noone would describe an OBT as docile and calm or a B. albopilosum as defensive and quick to bite (of course there're exceptions to any rule ;)). That's what I'm aiming for: average, general information in a simple profile list. What I want is just an easy access to that kind of information, that I get - for example - for the Brachypelma genus without any problems.

But the Avicularia genus is such a mess with so many subforms and so less available general information on most of them, it confuses me to no end. :p So, I'm just trying to de-confuse myself with - hopefully - the help of keepers who know more than I do. And maybe help others with that as well. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avicularia merianae is a small Peruvian Avicularia species that is slow growing and maxes out at around 3.5" DLS

Avicularia sp. colombia (kolumbien)
Is a Colombian Avic that is pretty similar to purpurea. It has medium growth rate. It will max out at 4.5" DLS
If I recall correctly A. meri. is named after someone's wife, I think Rick West's actually.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Thekla the morphotype formerly known as A. metallica is the best of them all, good size, and most laid back.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
If I recall correctly A. meri. is named after someone's wife, I think Rick West's actually.
It is actually named after Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717), a german biologist who drew the first picture of a tarantula eating a bird. :)

@Thekla the morphotype formerly known as A. metallica is the best of them all, good size, and most laid back.
Yeah, that's what everybody is saying. :D Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a big arboreal spider yet. She grows quite big, doesn't she? o_O I think I rather have a smaller one, and A. merianae looks beautiful! :astonished:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It is actually named after Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717), a german biologist who drew the first picture of a tarantula eating a bird. :)

Yeah, that's what everybody is saying. :D Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a big arboreal spider yet. She grows quite big, doesn't she? o_O I think I rather have a smaller one, and A. merianae looks beautiful! :astonished:
A.metallica may be grow relatively large, its temperament is as sweet as can be. I think mine is the most calm of my collection. Except when there is food. Then she gets fast and furious. A.minatrix is the 'dwarf' species in that genus but actually has a bit of a temper, from what I've gathered.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
You're thinking of Avicularia lynnae. ;)

I wouldn't consider merianae slow growing, maybe compared to other Avicularia but even that I can't say I agree. Definitely fast growing compared to many American terrestrials.

TMK Avicularia sp. "Colombia" is a variant of purpurea. Avicularia merianae is a sister species of purpurea. Very similar not only from a taxonomy stand point but also in behavior, size, growth and looks. My merianae females are 4" DLS easy and fast growing in general terms. Very shy and skittish but not defensive at all...

Avicularia merianae
Mature Female
FB_IMG_1497346804036.jpg

FB_IMG_1497342276531.jpg

Pen-Ultimate Male
FB_IMG_1492850427450.jpg

Mature Male
FB_IMG_1512564030546.jpg

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
A.metallica may be grow relatively large, its temperament is as sweet as can be. I think mine is the most calm of my collection. Except when there is food. Then she gets fast and furious. A.minatrix is the 'dwarf' species in that genus but actually has a bit of a temper, from what I've gathered.
Where'd you learn minatrix have a temper?
First I have heard of this?
IME raising a dozen of them over years (and other people I have talked to that have experience with them) I'd have to disagree. Shy and skittish yes, tempered or defensive, nah not at all. There's always exceptions to the rule but in general they are beginner friendly as far as behavior goes.

Basically, all the somewhat defensive species have been removed from the Avicularia genus. For example, Caribena laeta, the most defensive of the former Avicularia IME.
FB_IMG_1509377126908.jpg

Ybyrapora
species are also a bit cranky.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Where'd you learn minatrix have a temper?
First I have heard of this?
IME raising a dozen of them over years (and other people I have talked to that have experience with them) I'd have to disagree. Shy and skittish yes, tempered or defensive, nah not at all. There's always exceptions to the rule but in general they are beginner friendly as far as behavior goes.

Basically, all the somewhat defensive species have been removed from the Avicularia genus. For example, Caribena laeta, the most defensive of the former Avicularia IME.
View attachment 262624

Ybyrapora
species are also a bit cranky.
I think I've read @viper69 posting that...maybe he can chime in.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have found A. minatrix to be as calm as merianae. Very chilled. But this is the problem with including 'temperament' to a care sheet. It would be better replaced with 'Experience level' IMO

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I have found A. minatrix to be as calm as merianae. Very chilled. But this is the problem with including 'temperament' to a care sheet. It would be better replaced with 'Experience level' IMO
I like that idea very much!!! :) I'm gonna change it right away.

So, "experience level" like
- beginner
- intermediate
- experienced/seasoned ;)

And A. merianae would be a beginner or more in between beginner and intermediate?

Edit: I just realised I can't edit my post after 24 (?) hours anymore. :wideyed: My whole idea was built on my belief I would be able to edit my post at any time and link the profiles to the Avics on the list. :confused:

I'm a moderator on a german forum (completely different topic), and there we have loads of lists where we link other posts to. It's great to keep things in order. ;) I'm sorry, I didn't know it wouldn't work here.

But keep the discussion going. IMO it's still a great thing to hear all about those different experiences with Avics. :D

Last edited: