Avicularia bicegoi molted

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. Very impressive! When that gets to be 9" it will be even MORE impressive.

Like someone said, "... bigger than a pokie". That's gotta be an amazing sight!

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Another Molt A New Cage

Another one of my Avicularia sp. "amazonica" molted about 24 hours ago. I now have 3 large ones and one that is a molt behind. I went ahead and placed the smaller one in the larger cage as well since it has a huge abdomen. I expect it molt to the same size as the other three before to much longer. I now have all of them in the larger cages that are...

3 7/16" x 3 7/16" x 6 5/16" with the raised lid. I drilled 64 holes in the top at...

5/64 of inch in diameter. I also drilled 32 holes in each of the four sides that are also at...

5/64 of inch in diameter.

I purchased a 3 foot section of dowel rod that was...

7/16 inch diameter. I cut it off at...

5 1/2 inches long.

I found some thin baling wire that bends very easily maybe a little bit stiffer than a plastic bread bag wire. I used the third hole from the end so that on the inside of the cage where the wire is exposed it would not cause them to get stuck in the wire with their abdomens. The permanent stick is so that I do not have to disturb the web that the amazonicas make during cleaning and feeding. All that I now have to do is remove the bottom and clean it out from time to time all without disturbing the tarantula or the web that it produces hardly at all. Here are some photographs...

I used some needle nosed pliers to twist the wire but be warned that if you twist that wire to tight it will shift the sides of the container enough so that it will NOT close correctly. You could even crack the plastic so just very snug would be just fine.

I used 4 fluid oz. or about 120 ml. of damp coconut fiber in the bottom as my substrate.

I bought several of these plastic containers used for measuring liquid medicine from the pharmacist. They are at one fluid ounce or about 30 ml. so I cut them down to one half of a fluid ounce or about 15 ml. They make very nice little tarantula water cups...

I next used one of my 1/4 of an inch diameter and 3.5 inch long dowel rods as a crutch so that the crickets can climb up to the larger dowel rod. This makes it easier for the tarantula to catch the food. Eventually I will remove the crutch all togehter when the amazonicas get larger and are eating much larger crickets...

And here is the final product all ready for my newly molted amazonica...

Here is a picture of he or she freshly molted about 24 hours ago. I will give it some crickets in a few more days.

CrypticDragon

Last edited:

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Thanks

These are sooo pretty! Very high on my want list. :worship:

Thanks very much Corranthe and The_Thunderer. While the bicegoi are pretty awsome I can not wait until my Avicularia sp. "amazonica" hit the nine inch mark. Just think about that for a minute. A nine inch Avicularia. That is HUGE and even very scary to allow it to walk on your arm. I bet the fangs would be giant as well.

CrypticDragon

kimski

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wowzer

Firstly, these are beautiful Tarantulas! Of course, I want some, too.

Secondly, nice set up. My A.versi just molted and it would be nice to change her from her pickle jar.

Did you use a Dremel to drill the holes?

Take care, Kim Ski

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

What species are you refering to here with this statement?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I think everyone's getting a bit too excited about these avics breaking the 9" mark. Yeah, there've been 'reports', and I'm sure they can get quite big but don't get your hopes up.

-Sean

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think everyone's getting a bit too excited about these avics breaking the 9" mark. Yeah, there've been 'reports', and I'm sure they can get quite big but don't get your hopes up.

-Sean
Thank-you! :clap: A voice of reason. :)

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Firstly, these are beautiful Tarantulas! Of course, I want some, too.

Secondly, nice set up. My A.versi just molted and it would be nice to change her from her pickle jar.

Did you use a Dremel to drill the holes?

Take care, Kim Ski
Thanks.

I simply used a hand drill and a 5/64 drill bit. I also made a pattern out of very thick and dense contruction type cardboard. It was cut so that it would be an exact to fit the top of cage.

After drilling 64 holes I then taped it to the side right up to the top and drilled 32 holes in each side. Be carefull when you are drilling plastic. You need a very sharp drill bit and do not use to much pressure when you are drilling. Once the bit cuts through the plastic the weight of the drill slamming into the plastic container can crack or even break your new cage.:D

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Time Will Tell

-Sean
I guess we will see but this will be at least another year possibly longer before these animals become adults and reach that size. I will definitely post the results. I have been posting their pictures after each molt as a record for those interested in this peticular species.

One thing that I would keep in mind is that these are arboreal. They have extremely thick and long legs. Since all tarantulas at least seem to measured from toe to toe all stretched out they may actually get that size.

I myself am gettting excited to see what comes of them over the next year. I will be posting photos as they grow into the giants that they claimed to be.

CrypticDragon:D

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What species are you refering to here with this statement?
I was referring to the "amazonica". There are several posts stating that they can reach as much as 9". Haven't seen it myself, that would be an impressive sight.

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
9 inch T

I was referring to the "amazonica". There are several posts stating that they can reach as much as 9". Haven't seen it myself, that would be an impressive sight.
I have not seen it a nine inch Avicularia yet either. I think that even close to or even over 8 inches would still be very impressive. I hope that mine get close to the 9 inch mark. They consume many crickets and are growing very fast at this young age for now anyway.:)

I have one of the following described at...

http://www.botarby8s.com

Giant White Knee Tarantula (Acanthoscurria geniculata)
At 8.5", the adults make great display animals. They have a dark brown abdomen covered with red hairs, dark brown carapace rimmed in white and bright white bands on the legs. Photo by Randy May of SavageDigital.com.
1.75" $25.00 3" $45.00

Even at 8.5 inches that is truly a giant tarantula. Their toes would go over the edge of a dinner plate. My geniculata does seem to grow very slow in comparison to any of my Avicularia species and it spends most of the time in a retreat that I put in the cage.:)

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Avicularia versicolor molted

Hey, I just noticed that my largest Avicularia versicolor just molted. Here are a few photographs of it. It is well over 4 inches or 100 ml. toe to toe.

The adult coloration is really starting to come in more and more after each time it molts.

CrypticDragon

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:drool: very nice as always,i'm so glad i have my female in my collection,they are stunning ts:clap:

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi CrypticDragon
I managed to get a couple of pics today of one of my amazonica's when this little one wandered onto the lid of another tub I had laying on the floor. It now measures 1.25 inches since its last moult.

Elaine x

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
It Looks Nice

Hi CrypticDragon
I managed to get a couple of pics today of one of my amazonica's when this little one wandered onto the lid of another tub I had laying on the floor. It now measures 1.25 inches since its last moult.

Elaine x
Nice looking. They look a lot like mine were when they were smaller with the very long chunky legs. My largest two have very fat abdomens and they are not moving around very much at all. They both have made a cocoon like area in their new cages. I expect them to molt again sometime in December.

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice looking. They look a lot like mine were when they were smaller with the very long chunky legs. My largest two have very fat abdomens and they are not moving around very much at all. They both have made a cocoon like area in their new cages. I expect them to molt again sometime in December.

CrypticDragon
Thanks mate :D I just missed our on buying another 2 amazonica's but never mind, I will find some more eventually.

I look forward to pics of yours when they next moult.

Elaine x

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
4th amazonica finally molted

My 4th Avicularia sp "amazonica" finally molted today. It is now at the same molt number as the other three amazonicas. This is only about 8 hours after the molt...

...and so I will probably wait to feed it until mid next week. As you can see it is still showing that semi translucent color in the legs and the abdomen still has the base red hairs with the long white frosted tipped hairs. I personally can see a greenish blue colored hue in the legs. I will post more some pictures of it next week.

As usually so far the two amazonicas that are way ahead of this one have huge fat abdomens and do very little if anything other that stay in their web cocoons. They usually will molt very soon after this one catches up to them. Those are the ones that I can not wait to see next. I will post their photos as well when they molt. I only check them once or twice a day. :)

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its great to see the little amazonica moulted well :clap: :clap: I look forward to pics next week once it has full colour showing.

I'm still waiting for my second one moulting . The first moulted 18th nov so this one is taking its sweet time lol. I have a bicegoi 1.5 cm sling that hasnt moulted in 4 months :eek: Still eating and active but no signs of moult yet :rolleyes: Strange wee thing lol.

I'm going to rehouse the amazonica's later today aloong with the versi's. I have another 6 avic slings coming this week too so busy getting tubs ready. Oh joy lol.

Elaine x