1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avicularia Avicularia

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Tori B, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Tori B

Tori B Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi everyone! I'm just checking in for my pinktoe, I know they tend to be a little more skittish than most. My T is a very anxious being. I've had her since November of last year, and I always saw her eat when I had her in a smaller enclosure in her more juvenile days. She is a bit larger than before from molting, and I really haven't seen her with a cricket in her mouth for a while. She's built a web that is a little like a tunnel and most of the time she stays in there or is right at the door of the enclosure which is really convenient for me. I always have water in there for her, but she never goes down to drink it which is pretty common for tarantulas, I know. Is this normal for pinktoes? I have crickets put in every 3 to 4 days. I've seen most of those crickets just die, however. Is she okay? She does not show any signs of DKS, and is just very anxious and gets scared of everything basically, I think she gets frightened by crickets sometime.

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Share some pics of your setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. A. avics in my experience do not tend to be very skittish, a lot of their cousins are. Some people say that they tend to be more skittish than terrestrials so your tarantula is more than likely normal. The only avicularias I have had the pleasure of handling/feeding have been extremely calm and slow moving, I've never had one bolt on me or rear at me, a true blessing. Although other avic species are another story.

I would say not coming down for water is pretty common, the only time I've seen my A. avic drink is when she went for some droplets on the wall. From what I have gathered from other threads, this is fairly common practice. They're lazy lol.

But I wouldn't worry too much, maybe she just isn't comfortable in her new skin. T's often go through what many keepers call personality changes after molting so if she's acting a bit different than before she molted it's not immediate cause for worry. She could be stressed in her enclosure, that could be part of the reason she's acting more nervous.

I've seen my avic eat only when I dropped a cricket directly in the round cork bark and I only know she got it because I saw the take down. If you read through some other avic forums on here a lot of owners say that they drop a cricket in their avics containers and the t shows no interest in the first couple of hours, but if they leave it in there overnight the cricket has either disappeared by the next morning or there is a nice bolus.

If she seems "frightened" by the crickets, it could very well be she's not hungry. I've seen plenty of tarantulas run away from crickets, shy away, rear at them. They're not exactly well liked by a tarantula outside the fact they are a food source. I've seen t's straight up kill crickets that have been left in their enclosure without actually eating them, this is mainly thought to be because they annoy the heck out of some tarantulas. You are more than likely overfeeding her so she's just not hungry, adults only need to eat once a week or even sometimes less.

But if your t is webbing and eating (they do get pretty hydrated just from the prey they eat) and generally looks healthy- big abdomen, relaxed posture when undisturbed, and has undergone this change in behavior after molting, I'd say you don't have that much to worry about. A lot of this sounds like it's fairly typical avic behavior, I would check out some other avic forums if you still have doubts :)

I know how you feel, I was a little worried about my avic and posted on her. I found out I set up the foliage in my avics enclosure a bit wonky and once I fixed it she was way more comfortable. *edit: Cold blood was actually the one to help me out with this :)

Pictures of the enclosure and the tarantula would give everyone a good idea of what's up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

1. How big is the t in question?

2. Post pics of the set up.

3. She's not afraid of crickets, probably just not hungry. Larger ts can go long lengths of time in pre-molt, not eating anything.

4. Multiple crickets every 4 days is quite excessive. I feed juvies and adults one meal (as in one single prey item) every 7-14 days. They don't need to eat that much or that often, and the faster you plump them, the longer the pre-molt fast will last...if fed excessively, like it seems it has been, it won't be harmful at all, but the t will get its fill in a short period of time, which will mean the t will now just have to wait till its molt cycle catches up to its food intake...which could be a very long time, especially if its an adult.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Edit: @cold blood beat me to it

What's the size of the tarantula? Do you have pics of the enclosure so we can spot check it for any errors that might explain the behavior?

From what you've written so far, I'd think you might be overfeeding it and it might just not be hungry. How many crickets do you put in at once? And how long do you leave them in there that they just die?

I feed my adult female Avic one feeder, once a week if I'm feeding her something cricket-sized (crickets, certain roaches, superworms). Anything smaller or larger would influence the quantity and frequency of her feedings

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Sounds like its just acclimating from the rehouse. You can dribble some water on its webbing for added drinking opportunities...some avics just wont come down to find their water bowls.

Dehydration can sometimes induce fasts as well, so that may be your issue. Share some pics of the spider and setup when you get a chance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mini8leggedfreak

Mini8leggedfreak Arachnosquire Active Member

I’ve had a few spiders like that and it was mostly I think due to them being in a new spot but a lot of people don’t give avics enough cover in their enclosures. Overhanging branches are a good idea, just don’t put lots of stuff on the ground for crickets to hide in. When the spider feels secure it will be more bold.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1