Avicularia avicularia pre molt or sick?

Bluedotinspace

Arachnopeon
Hi ive recently gotten a pink toed T and its worrying me a bit,killed a cricket and left it there,wont web up much except the entrance of her vertical tree log,she drinks regularly but its like shes losing color or something her toes are almost white in some spots.i will drill holes in the sides of the glass for cross ventilation and replace the top screen with a clear polymer plate with holes also.should i put more branches even if they are small and also the T is having trouble sticking to glass,kind of slinding down.i dont want her to die!

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The abdomen looks shrunken, dehydration could be the issue.

The spider should be hungry if it's that thin, maybe try feeding every few days. Might just need time to settle if you recently acquired it. Do you know when the last molt was?

Bluedotinspace

Arachnopeon
The abdomen looks shrunken, dehydration could be the issue.

The spider should be hungry if it's that thin, maybe try feeding every few days. Might just need time to settle if you recently acquired it. Do you know when the last molt was?
i do not know when she last molted i was tol shes about a year and a half old female.besides ventillation does the enclosure look good?more branches or bark or something? I have some skinny branches i could glue to the top in a pattern or something she could web it,what kind of anchor point do they like,like the distance between.Also the sliding down the glass thing is very worrying and i cannot find any answers as to why that would happen

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Spiders in premolt slide down glass. I imagine very weak spiders could to.

Cross vent is much better. But I think that would work okay. Be sure to keep all the sub dry with only a water dish.. as stuffiness will kill avics very quickly.

Don't bother with prekilled for a spider that big, just throw in crickets.

Colors dull slowly to a point after a molt. Nothing to worry about.

Bluedotinspace

Arachnopeon
Spiders in premolt slide down glass. I imagine very weak spiders could to.

Cross vent is much better. But I think that would work okay. Be sure to keep all the sub dry with only a water dish.. as stuffiness will kill avics very quickly.

Don't bother with prekilled for a spider that big, just throw in crickets.

Colors dull slowly to a point after a molt. Nothing to worry about.
So the coloring thing would be an indicator of pre-molt?

Bluedotinspace

Arachnopeon
Your spider won't be molting anytime soon. It needs to be fed considerably beforehand.
Im curious about why you're saying that.based on the pictures of it having a tiny abdomen or what i wrote about it not webbing? Also thank you all for your precious insight!

cold blood

Staff member
Small abdomen...Most of the time A. avics, once they gain a little size, really do most of their webbing prior to molting...so before that its just a little bit here and there.

I'm wondering if you could get pics of the palps.....could be an MM.

Bluedotinspace

Arachnopeon
This is the best shot i could get of her this morning,shes sitting on top of her hollowed tree sucking on a cricket(theres a kind of web surrounding the half of the top entrance,she used to hide in there quite a lot,but hardly goes in there anymore.i will try to get an actual picture of the palps but shes eating like a champ now.what kind of structure should i build with sticks or something so she can make a web to either hide or make a molt mat?

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
This is the best shot i could get of her this morning,shes sitting on top of her hollowed tree sucking on a cricket(theres a kind of web surrounding the half of the top entrance,she used to hide in there quite a lot,but hardly goes in there anymore.i will try to get an actual picture of the palps but shes eating like a champ now.what kind of structure should i build with sticks or something so she can make a web to either hide or make a molt mat?
Just needed time to settle in. Some more fake foliage towards the top of the enclosure wouldn't hurt.

Bluedotinspace

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your replies i highly appreciate it being new to the hobby.I was not expecting this much help from such experienced people thank you all!

Bluedotinspace

Arachnopeon
Yeah thats what im doing tonight,just dont want to add too much and kill ventilation since its just a screen top cage,i think im gonna get one of those exoterra nano with the front opening and the little vent holes beneet the doors.but this morning i saw something worrying she was on the side but not like usual also there seems to be some kind of white flesh or something as if its been ripped.

Attachments

Bluedotinspace

Arachnopeon
Are you talking about the underside of the patella (the "knee")? That area looks normal to me.
Yeah thats what i was reffering to.Thats good to hear! Ive put up up some fake foliage that i had on hand and shes just there chilling on a leaf down on the substrate.