1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avicularia avicularia dehydration

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Lumina, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Lumina

Lumina Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Oh gotcha. That makes sense.
    Thanks! :)

2. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

all at least a. Year but no luck selling locally longest was g pulchripes 3-3.5 years shortest was 9 months or. A year I didn’t keep a journal like I used to. Fireleg lived 2.5 years or 3 post final molt 11 years total slower growing species generally lived longer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Fuk Da Meme Police Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    If I was a 4” spider I’d probably refuse pinhead crickets.

Are your prekilling them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. crone

crone Arachnoangel

There's pink toes in the second pic.

Now I see these pics, yep you got a boy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

Mature males only lose the pink on their pedipalps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

@Lumina

For a mature male, you can just drop in a cricket and leave it roam until the t decides to eat...its not going to molt, so you don't have to worry about that risk.

Keeping him well hydrated is more important than well fed...most MMs that die early ether die from dehydration or just being runty. Bigger MMs, IMO, tend to live longer, and believe it or not, a 4" MM A. avic like yours, is actually on the larger side for a MM.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

If you think your Avic is not drinking, you can drip some water into his webbing, so that it forms a puddle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lumina

Lumina Arachnosquire

Wasn't just feeding the pinheads. When he kept refusing the medium roaches, I tried offering him those. ... He did end up eating a medium sized roach after I had him in the rehydration chamber for a bit.

Yea, doesn't have enough webbing to do that. He only has a few measly strings.

Right-figured hydration was crucial. I hadn't seen him drink from his dish at all and with no webbing to add water droplets to, I wasn't sure how else to rehydrate him. So I put him in a 2 pint well-ventilated deli cup with paper towels moistened with luke warm water for a few hours. After I put him back in his enclosure that evening, he ate during the night/early morning. He was still chewing on tidbits of the roach when I woke up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2018
  9. Versijewels

Versijewels Arachnopeon Active Member

Texas
    I recently got one as well, didnt eat for a good while when i got it then as soon as i got her eating i got her permanent enclosure and now she doesnt wanna eat again haha. I think most a.avics are this way. Yours will probably eat soon if you offer it more appropriate prey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Hopefully you didn’t pay confirmed female prices for a MM. Either the seller lied to you, they got lied to and believed it, or the spider was sexed by someone who has no clue what they're doing.

If you do go for the route of finding him a mate, make sure it's definitely the same morphotype. There's like 7 morphotypes of A. avicularia right now (I believe morph#1 and #6 are the most common ones in the hobby), so you don't want to interbreed different morphs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

@Lumina I'd personally suggest against breeding him yourself. Taking care of slings is a chore, one that even passionate hobbyists often dread. You're just getting started in this hobby, I'd hate to see you burnt out so quickly. Instead, just enjoy your little man while you have him :) Mature males can be fun, actually. They're much more active than their female counterparts, aside from the feeding response.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Lumina

Lumina Arachnosquire

I didn't pay for him. I rescued him from a woman who has cancer and is no longer able to care for him.

Fully agreed. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I just hope I'll be able to provide him with a luxurious life while he's still here. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2018
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Dragondrool

Dragondrool Arachnosquire

I got this problem from each of my A. avics I had. They always get dehydrated after a molt, and given how weak my first one was, she couldn't reach the dish bowl and died. So with my current one when I saw she was dehydrated, I dripped water down on the ground and on top of her. She drank it up and is doing just fine :) I recommend dripping some water near her mouth, she should drink it. It's possible she doesn't know where the dish is if you have one. Also, pin heads are much too small. Mealworms are fantastic because they're wayyy easier to keep and hold a lot of water in them. When I feed them fruit they're super fat with moisture :)

14. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    That's not a rehydration chamber, that's a killing chamber. Avics do not survive a high moisture environment for long. Please, please, please understand that all that happens when you put your Avic in there is that it will die after a while!! It was pure coincidence that it actually ate shortly afterwards, or maybe it ate because it was so relieved to get out of there - ever think of that?

Stop going overboards with the 'rehydration' stuff. I don't know what you think you are accomplishing. It is absolutely crucial to keep his environment DRY. Provide a water bowl and maybe spray a few drops of water against the side of the enclosure once or twice a week if there is no web.

From what you are saying it is very likely he isn't eating because all the misting made it too moist for his liking. Avics stop eating if they are kept too moist.