1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avicularia avicularia bum leg

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by RedVelvet, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Advertisement
    A few pointers on the enclosure.
    You have waaaay too much substrate in there. This species needs a layer of a cm or two at most. You're also blocking the front ventilation with it, which is bad news for Avicularia, they need cross ventilation. I would scoop it out as soon as possible.
    Kitchen paper roll is not good as a hide. The humidity will make a nice moldy tower of it, which is not really appealing or healthy. If you set the slab of bark angled against the back and place the plants against it and on top of it, she'll make an awesome web tube to live in. This sometimes takes a week, sometimes a month. The more anchorpoints halfway and up against the tree you provide, the sooner she'll start webbing.
    Other than this it looks good, I'd give a bit of a larger waterdish to get some humidity so you can stop spraying. This genus is often seen drinking so it pays off to have a nice waterdish for them. :)
    I'm not a very good photographer, but this is how i keep my A.metallica ( I've pulled her out of my cabinet for this pic to better show what I mean):
    IMG_20180313_211904.jpg
    She's been in here for three weeks now and has been a very busy girl:
    IMG_20180313_211910.jpg
    Edit: sorry for assuming this was your first Theraphosid :bucktooth:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nah, you're good. My first Teraphosid was a G. rosea, but I don't have her anymore since I didn't want to worry about her not making a 3 hour drive down to Utah where I currently live now. I didn't use to make the best decisions 3 years ago.

I did that because I thought that it would help hold in the moisture if I poured water onto the dirt directly. And after I had posted the pictures, I thought about getting a cork round from either Petsmart or Petco. But as luck would have it, I am broke since my only means of making money (driving with Uber) is gone. My car was totaled. So I will have to wait until I can get a new car or something like that. I definitely will change the amount of substrate though, I just don't like having to uproot her from her home since I think she's extremely stressed as she's hiding in the paper towel roll right now.

3. Andrea82

It will be easier to take out substrate now, just plug the two ends of the roll with kitchentowels, take out entire roll, remove substrate. Place the roll back in, coax her out of the roll, top off the waterdish and leave her to acclimate :)

4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

An avic enclosure holding moisture is not a good thing, in fact, this philosophy has undoubtedly killed more avicularia than anything else in the hobby.
    Aside from the valid changes suggested, its important to note, that what you did with the space was excellent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Thank you! I try to give my tarantula's a good space that they can utilize like how they would in the wild.

I have since taken her out, emptied the enclosure and took out all of the substrate, cause I thought that would be easier than using an unused blue solo cup to move substrate to and from the substrate box I have, filled it up, but I'm not good with measurements and left it pretty low, but I did make sure to spread it out and pack it down, but not too tightly, but also not too loosely either. At this moment, she is behind the cork bark. How long do you think it would take for her to become acclimated?

20180313_155731.jpg 20180313_155648.jpg 20180313_155709.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Andrea82

Perfect! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

There's no way to say precisely, but with it set up nicely like you have it, I doubt it will take her long to get comfortable.

8. That's good, thank you both for the input btw!

9. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

The back legs look a little odd, but they should completely regenerate within a molt or two.

The most popular fix is to replace or cover the screen with a sheet of acrylic that has holes for ventilation.

I covered the interior side of the mesh with a loosely draped sheet of thin cotton. This has effectively discouraged climbing on the ceiling while still allowing air flow. I have seen them take tentative steps onto the cloth. They seem to realize that their footing is insecure and return to the glass walls.

My cotton cloth was initially just a temporary fix, but it seems to work pretty well, so it became permanent.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lateapexpredator

lateapexpredator So angry Arachnosupporter

I've got a 7 legged Avicularia braunshauseni

[​IMG]

Doesn't see to affect him/her at all.

• Like Like x 1