Avicularia avicularia bum leg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
BTW, the enclosure she has is a juvenile crested gecko enclosure since that's all that Petco had that was tall and since Mushu was/is my first arboreal, I didn't really want to mess around with a 10 gallon and try to work with that.
A few pointers on the enclosure.
You have waaaay too much substrate in there. This species needs a layer of a cm or two at most. You're also blocking the front ventilation with it, which is bad news for Avicularia, they need cross ventilation. I would scoop it out as soon as possible.
Kitchen paper roll is not good as a hide. The humidity will make a nice moldy tower of it, which is not really appealing or healthy. If you set the slab of bark angled against the back and place the plants against it and on top of it, she'll make an awesome web tube to live in. This sometimes takes a week, sometimes a month. The more anchorpoints halfway and up against the tree you provide, the sooner she'll start webbing.
Other than this it looks good, I'd give a bit of a larger waterdish to get some humidity so you can stop spraying. This genus is often seen drinking so it pays off to have a nice waterdish for them. :)
I'm not a very good photographer, but this is how i keep my A.metallica ( I've pulled her out of my cabinet for this pic to better show what I mean):
IMG_20180313_211904.jpg
She's been in here for three weeks now and has been a very busy girl:
IMG_20180313_211910.jpg
Edit: sorry for assuming this was your first Theraphosid :bucktooth:

Last edited:

RedVelvet

Arachnosquire
Edit: sorry for assuming this was your first Theraphosid :bucktooth:
Nah, you're good. My first Teraphosid was a G. rosea, but I don't have her anymore since I didn't want to worry about her not making a 3 hour drive down to Utah where I currently live now. I didn't use to make the best decisions 3 years ago.

I did that because I thought that it would help hold in the moisture if I poured water onto the dirt directly. And after I had posted the pictures, I thought about getting a cork round from either Petsmart or Petco. But as luck would have it, I am broke since my only means of making money (driving with Uber) is gone. My car was totaled. So I will have to wait until I can get a new car or something like that. I definitely will change the amount of substrate though, I just don't like having to uproot her from her home since I think she's extremely stressed as she's hiding in the paper towel roll right now.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nah, you're good. My first Teraphosid was a G. rosea, but I don't have her anymore since I didn't want to worry about her not making a 3 hour drive down to Utah where I currently live now. I didn't use to make the best decisions 3 years ago.

I did that because I thought that it would help hold in the moisture if I poured water onto the dirt directly. And after I had posted the pictures, I thought about getting a cork round from either Petsmart or Petco. But as luck would have it, I am broke since my only means of making money (driving with Uber) is gone. My car was totaled. So I will have to wait until I can get a new car or something like that. I definitely will change the amount of substrate though, I just don't like having to uproot her from her home since I think she's extremely stressed as she's hiding in the paper towel roll right now.
It will be easier to take out substrate now, just plug the two ends of the roll with kitchentowels, take out entire roll, remove substrate. Place the roll back in, coax her out of the roll, top off the waterdish and leave her to acclimate :)

cold blood

Staff member
did that because I thought that it would help hold in the moisture if I poured water onto the dirt directly
An avic enclosure holding moisture is not a good thing, in fact, this philosophy has undoubtedly killed more avicularia than anything else in the hobby.
Here's the enclosure that I currently have her in right now.

View attachment 269338
This one is with the glass closed

View attachment 269339
With the glass open in front.

View attachment 269340
Top screen closed, I am aware that she can become stuck in the mesh screen if she starts to climb on it, but I don't know of a way to fix it without restricting air flow.

View attachment 269341
Screen open and water dish in the corner, do you think that she'd be able to access it if she needed it?

View attachment 269342
There's Mushu in the paper towel roll I gave her last night

View attachment 269343
The back corner/left side of the enclosure

View attachment 269344
And the right side w/all of the hard water spots from when I misted her enclosure way back when I originally purchased her.
Aside from the valid changes suggested, its important to note, that what you did with the space was excellent.

RedVelvet

Arachnosquire
Aside from the valid changes suggested, its important to note, that what you did with the space was excellent.
Thank you! I try to give my tarantula's a good space that they can utilize like how they would in the wild.

It will be easier to take out substrate now, just plug the two ends of the roll with kitchentowels, take out entire roll, remove substrate. Place the roll back in, coax her out of the roll, top off the waterdish and leave her to acclimate :)
I have since taken her out, emptied the enclosure and took out all of the substrate, cause I thought that would be easier than using an unused blue solo cup to move substrate to and from the substrate box I have, filled it up, but I'm not good with measurements and left it pretty low, but I did make sure to spread it out and pack it down, but not too tightly, but also not too loosely either. At this moment, she is behind the cork bark. How long do you think it would take for her to become acclimated?

20180313_155731.jpg 20180313_155648.jpg 20180313_155709.jpg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you! I try to give my tarantula's a good space that they can utilize like how they would in the wild.

I have since taken her out, emptied the enclosure and took out all of the substrate, cause I thought that would be easier than using an unused blue solo cup to move substrate to and from the substrate box I have, filled it up, but I'm not good with measurements and left it pretty low, but I did make sure to spread it out and pack it down, but not too tightly, but also not too loosely either. At this moment, she is behind the cork bark. How long do you think it would take for her to become acclimated?

View attachment 269356 View attachment 269357 View attachment 269358
Perfect! :happy::happy::happy:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Of course I can share a picture of her. I'm away from her at the moment though, but I will definitely get one of her, although, I wish that I took a picture of her while she was at Petco. Her leg stood out more.
The back legs look a little odd, but they should completely regenerate within a molt or two.

Top screen closed, I am aware that she can become stuck in the mesh screen if she starts to climb on it, but I don't know of a way to fix it without restricting air flow.And the right side w/all of the hard water spots from when I misted her enclosure way back when I originally purchased her.
The most popular fix is to replace or cover the screen with a sheet of acrylic that has holes for ventilation.

I covered the interior side of the mesh with a loosely draped sheet of thin cotton. This has effectively discouraged climbing on the ceiling while still allowing air flow. I have seen them take tentative steps onto the cloth. They seem to realize that their footing is insecure and return to the glass walls.

My cotton cloth was initially just a temporary fix, but it seems to work pretty well, so it became permanent.