1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avicularia and the truth about cross ventilation.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by CEC, Feb 13, 2019.

1. PhilMcWonder

PhilMcWonder Arachnoknight

Texas
    Advertisement
    Cross Vent isn't needed but it is highly preferable if available. Avics seem to like air flow so promoting air flow is always a good thing.
    I don't think a lack of airflow will kill an avic unless it is SUPER BAD (Like no airflow in a stuffy box, or turning its enclosure into a sauna like I unfortunately see too many people do)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. This may annoy you that I am asking this but technically can't they breathe through the screen rather than having tons of air flow throughout the whole enclosure? I know that would require them to stay at the top, but still. It is a similar thing with reptiles who can do fine with only top ventilation via a screen. Wouldn't that mean the same with tarantulas?

3. I raise all Aviculariianae on dry substrate, zero water dish. One, round vent for slings, 2 vents for juvies/ adults (due to larger enclosures.)

A simple misting 1 or 2x a week is all they need and ive never had one die randomly that i can remember

4. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

It's not about oxygen levels, it's about air exchange. You know movement of molecules so that the interior doesn't become a swampy, sopping wet death trap. (If you mist your Avics' webs to provide drinking water, if you only have top vents depending upon the temp of the room, there will be condensation and the key to proper care is to make it so there is literally 0 condensation.)

5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Right, it has nothing to do with breathing really...as passive breathers, tarantulas need shockingly little air to breathe....proper ventilation is more about flow, air quality conditions and general husbandry.

6. Ok thanks. I have not misted this one at all. I did mist the other one though so that may have been the cause of death.