Avicularia and Humidity Question:

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
About a week and a half ago I received an A. Avic through the mail. He is presumed male but has not hooked out yet. He was missing a leg when I recieved him. The first four days I had him, he was not in good health, but had a sweet disposition. He seemed to enjoy being handled, he moved slowly, and he would sit with me for as long as i wanted to hold him. Then he started eating, and being a bit more active, but still a good-natured pet.

The problem I have is this - I have him in my bedroom. My house has an INCREDIBLE central air system, that seems to pump more cool air into my bedroom than any other room in the house, but the bedroom is the only safe room, as I have cats that mess with anything in a tank. I also have my G. Rosea in there (she's an ill tempered meanie) and she does fine in the cooler and more dry conditions, of course. But I know that AVicularia are tropical, and the A/c in that room tends to battle it out with the hydrometer.

How often is too often to mist? I have read that it should only be done every three days to a week. I have saran wrap over 80% of the mesh top of the tank which helps a bit, but no matter what I do, even misting lightly once a DAY, at some point in the day I find the hydrometer dropped to 60 percent. Since I started misting more often, he's gone from docile and sweet to attacking the spray bottle every time I go to mist. He seems overall happy, he eats well, I think he needs a molt because he has the missing leg, but I'm afriad that will be his maturing molt so I'm not in a hurry to get him there. But I know they're tropical and enjoy over 70% humidity at the very least. How low can it get before its dangerous to him? How many times is too many times a week to mist in there? He's starting to hate me, and I don't want him fearing my hand in the enclosure, because he was an awesome handling spider, and I sure don't have that relationship with my "most docile beginner species" Rosie (yeah, yeah.)....I don't want to lose my little friend because I try to keep him happy!

Hopefully someone can help..

mastercave

Arachnopeon
Can you turn off the air register, the thing in the wall/floor where central air is coming out of? can you put the avic's enclosure somewhere the a/c is pumping air into? Like a closet or a box in your room?

In terms of the misting, it's better to dump water onto the substrate to wet it and let it soak through. You can soak the substrate once a week.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
That's awesome! Thank you! As far as the register goes, actually I can't, the one in that room is broken. I usually throw a shirt over it for about half the day or more, just to keep it in check. The open window is good enough for us when it comes to sleeping in there, so its no big deal to block the register with some laundry. (Does make my room look like a teenager lives in it though, oh well, small price to pay right?) But yeah, if just wetting the substrate is more ideal than misting, I will gladly switch to that. Then I will have to get some isopods though, because the last thing I need is mold or mites. *sigh*

---------- Post added 07-31-2012 at 09:45 PM ----------

I just want him to like me. Or at least..not fear me....

Cameron1996

Arachnopeon
I'm having the same problem with my A. Versicolors enclosure. I'll mist it once every few days but it usually dries out in a day or less and i'm worrying about his humidity too.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
Glad to know I'm not alone at least...I mostly want to know how low the percentage can drop before I should really worry. Does yours get mad when you mist, too?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I just want him to like me
Tarantulas lack emotions and a lot of other feelings humans register so you won't be able to get him to like you I'm afraid...

Also I suggest not sticking your hand in the tank and just picking him up it's a pretty sure fire way to get yourself tagged.

I think you need to do a bit more research on Ts in general.

---------- Post added 08-01-2012 at 03:45 AM ----------

Glad to know I'm not alone at least...I mostly want to know how low the percentage can drop before I should really worry. Does yours get mad when you mist, too?
Unless your hydrometer is digitally set, it's practically useless they aren't accurate.

Like someone said above skip misting just pour water into the substrate it retains humidity better, maybe mist the web on occasions for the T to drink from.

To many people over humidify and constantly worry about humidity with Avics because of a bad rep of sudden deaths (most likely caused by too much humidity/ lack of ventilation).

Also most Ts will attack misting bottles it's not unusual.

P.s overcare = overkill.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
Yeah trust me I dont just pick him up. I was just generalizing because I didn't feel the way I handled him was particularly relevant to whether or not his humidity was high enough. I have had arid species off and on since I was a kid, Ive read the books and spent maaany an hour researching. I just phrase things in ways to get past what my point ISNT to get to what it is.

I know they dont think the way we or other "domesticated" animals do, but i DO believe that bonds CAN be formed, if by nothing other than routine and conditioning. RIght now I am afraid because of the random humidity drops and possible too frequent misting, that I am conditioning him to be afraid of anything coming into the enclosure, including my hand. The first week I had him I'd just put my hand by him and he'd climb on and relax. I don't pinch grab anything, ever, much less just grab. Scooping from under the substrate has been an option before, but only when its absolutely necessary to..anyway thats all besides the point. I'm certainly not an expert or I wouldn't be asking any questions, but this IS my first tropical species, and I just want his health at the maximum. Promise I do know the basics. =P

---------- Post added 07-31-2012 at 10:51 PM ----------

Unless your hydrometer is digitally set, it's practically useless they aren't accurate.

Like someone said above skip misting just pour water into the substrate it retains humidity better, maybe mist the web on occasions for the T to drink from.

To many people over humidify and constantly worry about humidity with Avics because of a bad rep of sudden deaths (most likely caused by too much humidity/ lack of ventilation).

Also most Ts will attack misting bottles it's not unusual.

P.s overcare = overkill.
Also, I didnt see the second part of this message, so I want to thank you for that! I definitely was afraid of the whole sudden death syndrome people talk about with Avics. I've been extra attached to this one in particular because he arrived in poor condition. I can relax on the humidity a bit if he will definitely be okay if I do that. Thanks. :)

Cameron1996

Arachnopeon
I would'nt really worry about it getting to low. My sling is barely and inch (if that) and he doesn't mind when I mist. My enclosure just dries out way to quickly and I don't want to drench the substrate to keep up the humidity. Do you plastic wrap your cage or anything?

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
How old? Adult avics can do fine wit less humidity than their younger counterparts.

I have a couple 2.5" DLs A. avics, and I give a light misting once per week. Slowly I ween them off humidity, and everything will be fine.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
I would'nt really worry about it getting to low. My sling is barely and inch (if that) and he doesn't mind when I mist. My enclosure just dries out way to quickly and I don't want to drench the substrate to keep up the humidity. Do you plastic wrap your cage or anything?
Yeah, the screen top has plastic across about 70% of it. The tank has front ventillation too, so I think it should be okay, with enough of a cross breeze to not get too moldy or anything. I read a few suggestions before and have followed them, but the hydrometer reading had been worrying me long enough I figured I'd just post the question myself on a bunch of forums and see what came up. I wouldn't even BE so overly concerned if I didn't want him to molt soon and try to regain some strength and that missing leg. He was practically in death curl when I got him, and in just the last five days he has perked up and become quite feisty. He's not even mature yet, from what I can tell. I'm rambling. Sorry ;) thanks

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
How old? Adult avics can do fine wit less humidity than their younger counterparts.

I have a couple 2.5" DLs A. avics, and I give a light misting once per week. Slowly I ween them off humidity, and everything will be fine.
I can't tell how old. I haven't had him too long, and I ordered from an awful place I'll never do business with again. I am 90% sure he's a male, (or a VERY unhealthy female), and not fully matured. No hooks, and about a 3.5 inch to 4 inch leg span diagonally. Best I can do as far as age...but Id say..MOSTLY full grown. Maybe one or two more molts till final maturity just guessing by other people's experiences.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
At 3.5" DLS Im thinking ti should be fine with one light misting on the substrate. You might even be able to get away with no misting, letting the substrate become completely dry, and just leave a water dish. With every subsequent molt, a tarantula builds up its water resistant layer, Avics are no exception (only the "swamp dwellers"). By the time they reach approx. 1/3 full grow size, they should be mostly water tight.
During molting, a Tarantula will have stored enough water in its system to ensure a proper molt, and therfore you need not worry about any potential issues with keeping a bone dry environment, even during a molt.

FYI: Age is generally defined as DLS, at least on the boards. Unless you raise a T from sac, its not possible to tell age, in years.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
As others have said, if you feel you need to add more humidity, misting is not going to help very much at all. You can use a larger water dish, slightly moisten the substrate (don't go too heavily, though) or block of more of the vents to trap the moisture in. Also, as stated above, HYGROMETERS are pretty much completely unreliable and can't really be trusted. (HYDROMETERS measure specific gravity of liquids, not humidity).

Also, I'm wondering why you're presuming male? Is that what the breeder/dealer/seller told you?

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
I'm sorry I didn't even see these replies...

I've learned to ignore the hydrometer since my initial question. In fact I only keep it in there because he likes to hang out on it sometimes. HIs first enclosure was too big for him, and he stayed on the hydrometer for two days before I bought him a smaller place, and I moved it with him, just because he seemed to like his circular disc buddy. He's much happier in his smaller home.

I am by no means a scientist and I can tell the difference between male and female when given a diagram to compare, but I'm certainly not 100% sure of the sex. I bought him from an awful place I will never buy from again. I feel guilty for having given them my money in the first place, I only read the reviews on their site, which I have come to find out are fabricated. They do allow you to "Request" a sex, and of course I requested female just for the longevity..but just judging by appearance...i'd be hard pressed to believe he's actually a female. I have taken some good looks at his underside when he hangs out on the glass, but he's black, so its hard to judge. But just the fact that his abdomen is small and skinny and his legs are very long....i know its not exactly a scientific method, but everything about his appearance screams MALE to me.

I'd be okay with being wrong on that.

But whatever he is, regardless of how strange and slightly handicapped, he's a sweet little guy, and I love him to death. And I'll keep him till he dies in the best health that I can.