Avic won't eat post molt?

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
Just a quick question. My Avic molted about two weeks ago. He's been pretty active since the molt and I've tried to feed him twice, obviously waiting for his fangs to harden up. Whenever I offer him food he is super skittish and doesn't take it. His abdomen is super skinny since the molt. Should I be worried, or is he still just settling in? He has plenty of water and I've witnessed him drinking several times. Thoughts?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
You say "he", is it a mature male? They often don't eat after they mature....

2 weeks post molt isn't really that long...

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
You say "he", is it a mature male? They often don't eat after they mature....

2 weeks post molt isn't really that long...
I said “he” because I took a look at the molt and he APPEARS to be male. Still only about 2.5”.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It is not unusual for them to refuse food longer than the 'safe' period that we allow for their fangs to harden. I have had individuals refuse meals far beyond the time period that I wait after moulting.
Avicularia are slimmer on a whole and will be even more so after moulting and putting any weight they gained towards growth. They are sometimes described as being 'super' skinny when they really aren't. A photo of your individual would help with that. There are some issues that can happen after moulting, involving the sucking stomach, but those are not common. If you still have the exuvia, you can check for the sucking stomach to see if it was shed properly.
I would suggest that you wait a few days and offer food again and repeat that until he takes it. Also, are you tong feeding? If yes, then just release the prey into the enclosure instead and leave it in there for 24 hours before removing.

Last edited:

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
It is not unusual for them to refuse food longer than the 'safe' period that we allow for their fangs to harden. I have had individuals refuse meals far beyond the time period that I wait after moulting.
Avicularia are slimmer on a whole and will be even more so after moulting and putting any weight they gained towards growth. They are sometimes described as being 'super' skinny when they really aren't. A photo of your individual would help with that. There are some issues that can happen after moulting, involving the sucking stomach, but those are not common. If you still have the exuvia, you can check for the sucking stomach to see if it was shed properly.
I would suggest that you wait a few days and offer food again and repeat that until he takes it. Also, are you tong feeding? If yes, then just release the prey into the enclosure instead and leave it in there for 24 hours before removing.
Thanka for the info! Still relatively new the the hobby and always learning. I’ve attacked a pic of the molt and the T post molt.

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Not too skinny at all - looking pretty fabulous, actually.

@Nightinghoul I can clearly see the sucking stomach in the photo of the exuvia, so that is not an issue. Just continue to offer food every few days.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
His abdomen is super skinny since the molt.
If you think that's skinny then you should see freshly moulted Psalmopoeinae :rofl:

View media item 56896View media item 60035View media item 59637

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
If you think that's skinny then you should see freshly moulted Psalmopoeinae :rofl:

View media item 56896View media item 60035View media item 59637
What type of Psalmopoeinae is that black and orange? That is one gorgeous T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What type of Psalmopoeinae is that black and orange? That is one gorgeous T.
P. irminia, the Venz. Sun Tiger!

He's been pretty active since the molt and I've tried to feed him twice, obviously waiting for his fangs to harden up
You are waiting for fangs to harden (SMART), but tried to feed him anyway (NOT SMART)?

Should I be worried
Based on pic-- NO

or is he still just settling in?
Did you rehouse? If not, there's no settling in.

He has plenty of water and I've witnessed him drinking several times
Good to see a T drink after molting, always relieved to see that, esp for Avics. They won't always drink from a bowl, even ones that you observe drinking from a bowl.

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
P. irminia, the Venz. Sun Tiger!

You are waiting for fangs to harden (SMART), but tried to feed him anyway (NOT SMART)?

Based on pic-- NO

Did you rehouse? If not, there's no settling in.

Good to see a T drink after molting, always relieved to see that, esp for Avics. They won't always drink from a bowl, even ones that you observe drinking from a bowl.
I said I WAITED for the fangs to harden... as in I didn’t attempt feeding until it was okay to do so.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I said I WAITED for the fangs to harden... as in I didn’t attempt feeding until it was okay to do so.
2 things.

You wrote "tried to feed...obviously waiting", and thus your sentence was not clear at all. I read that to mean you may have fed while WAITING....not WAITED.

2. Smart to wait!

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
2 things.

You wrote "tried to feed...obviously waiting", and thus your sentence was not clear at all. I read that to mean you may have fed while WAITING....not WAITED.

2. Smart to wait!
My bad with the wording. I definitely waited for the fangs to harden before attempting to feed. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My bad with the wording. I definitely waited for the fangs to harden before attempting to feed. :)
Just check and see if their black. If you can’t observe their posture and behavior, and size of abdomen.

In the end it’s very easy to tell if a T is really really hungry

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
His abdomen is super skinny since the molt.
He looks pretty good. Part of what may be making him look skinny is that many 'bulk up' when they are getting ready to molt; making it seem like they have lost a worrisome amount of weight after. Mine never look fatter than in pre-molt lol! Looking for when their little rumps get fat (and color change of course, which I also find is most notable on their rumps) is a great way to tell they are getting ready to molt actually.

Give it some time and if he is healthy and happy he will know when he is ready to eat. When mine don't want food they will literally run the other way from the food like they their big bad self is actually scared of the little cricket :)

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
He looks pretty good. Part of what may be making him look skinny is that many 'bulk up' when they are getting ready to molt; making it seem like they have lost a worrisome amount of weight after. Mine never look fatter than in pre-molt lol! Looking for when their little rumps get fat (and color change of course, which I also find is most notable on their rumps) is a great way to tell they are getting ready to molt actually.

Give it some time and if he is healthy and happy he will know when he is ready to eat. When mine don't want food they will literally run the other way from the food like they their big bad self is actually scared of the little cricket :)
That’s what he’s been doing. He’s runs for cover lol. I’ll keep trying. Thank you!