Avic update and question

Jerry

Arachnobaron
My a Avic is about 5 1/4 DLS and wile looking at what I thought was a her I believe I see a hook on one of its front legs check out the pics let me know what you think IMG_20160927_225901003.jpg IMG_20160927_225729211.jpg

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
that is indeed a mature male, get a photo of his pedipalps to be sure. IMO the bulbous palps are easier to spot than tibial spurs.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Hope these help and it seems weird but I don't see one on the other leg which is a little weird IMG_20160922_062639755.jpg IMG_20160928_061201404.jpg

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, that's a mature male. You should see if anyone in your area has a female, or become familiar with packing and ship him. Presuming you know 110% what species he is.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
looks like a garden variety avic avic but with avics you never really know.unless he bought it directly from a breeder i wouldnt breed it

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the info guys to the best of my knowledge it's is avic Avic but he was bought from my local pet store he the first T I got

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for the info guys to the best of my knowledge it's is avic Avic but he was bought from my local pet store he the first T I got
If it's from a lps then it's impossible to identify without a molt, microscope and someone with taxonomical knowledge of the genus.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You can tell it's an adult male just from how leggy it is, when it's on the side of the cage, you can discern that from across the room. Don't waste your time looking for spurs, as about 2 dozen genera don't have them. Look for the emboli.

I'm assuming this is a recent addition. If you want to try to breed him, get an adult female from the same place, and ask that it be from the same batch.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
You can tell it's an adult male just from how leggy it is, when it's on the side of the cage, you can discern that from across the room. Don't waste your time looking for spurs, as about 2 dozen genera don't have them. Look for the emboli.

I'm assuming this is a recent addition. If you want to try to breed him, get an adult female from the same place, and ask that it be from the same batch.
Avicularia sp "localis petstorum" :D

Anyway yeah I was saying the same. For some species finding spurs can be a little tricky, but bulbous pedipalps can be viewed at a glance, even how most species carry their palps is a dead give away.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Thanks guy I've had him since March I believe and I'm not sure I could handle breading right now it's a shame he will probably not fulfill his purpose in the cycle of life there's no where sound me to get a adult female of the same species with any guarantee except ordering one and it's ge5ing into the 40 at night around here not sure it's the best time to order plus the thought of spiderlings would not sit well with my wife so my options are limited

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Thanks guy I've had him since March I believe and I'm not sure I could handle breading right now it's a shame he will probably not fulfill his purpose in the cycle of life there's no where sound me to get a adult female of the same species with any guarantee except ordering one and it's ge5ing into the 40 at night around here not sure it's the best time to order plus the thought of spiderlings would not sit well with my wife so my options are limited
Well, that on top of that you don't know the species.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I get it I'm not sure of the specific species bad idea to make hybrids
yeah Avics are a mess and are probably one of the hardest to identify and downrite impossibelt o identify by photos, there are just too many of them that look almost identical as adults :(

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter

Not just how leggy he is but also the lack of red setae.

The beauty of species in the Avic. avic. complex is you don't even have to look for emboli. Only mature males lack pink toes on their pedipalps. While immature males and any size females (excluding slings, of course) have pink toed pedipalps. Which is easier for any beginner to notice.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Sorry if I confused you not ready to try to breed and my wife would handle a ton of spiderlings should it prove successful and the rest is me trying to explain the pain of trying to get a female to bread with him hope this clears it up a bit

cold blood

Staff member
Haha...pairing isn't really all that complicated...and you could easily contact a dealer and wholesale the entire sac as soon as they molt to second instar.