Avic sling hasn't eaten in over a month

ArachnidBoi

Arachnopeon
My Avicularia merianae hasn't eaten in over a month. (Oct 14 was the last time she ate, and she ate a prekilled cricket) She is about .5 inches in size, and has taken no interest in food, alive or dead, since. I'd assume premolt, but it's such a long time that it has me worried. Her abdomen's size seems to be decreasing a bit as well. I'm keeping the water dish filled.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Personally I wouldn't worry so much. I'd just keep placing some pre-killed feeder every coupleof days and remove whats left within 24 hrs.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I'd also suggest leaving prekilled prey. Usually slings at that size don't go into premoult for more than a few weeks. If it is premoult, likely a moult is imminent. If it happens to be something like failure to thrive, try offering different prey items like prekilled halved mealworms or roach nymphs. Sometimes a change in prey is the ticket to getting a T to eat.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What is the set up like? How long have you had the spider?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I here they refuse food when misted, might be premolt. misting an avic lead to two things: either your avic was a plant or it will die.

ArachnidBoi

Arachnopeon
I don't mist my avic.

Also, I've had it since September. Not sure when exactly. I know Palp Friction feeds their slings before shipping them, so that's a factor too. I guess just keep trying to give it prekilled food and wait for a molt?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Also, I've had it since September. Not sure when exactly. I know Palp Friction feeds their slings before shipping them, so that's a factor too. I guess just keep trying to give it prekilled food and wait for a molt?
sounds good, as long as the abdomen isn't noticeably bad.

ArachnidBoi

Arachnopeon
She ate a mealworm half today! I don't know what caused her to suddenly go for it, as she's ignored them in the past.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Tiny slings that size can be unpredictable in their eating habits. I know I gave mine "cricket drumsticks" when it was super small and it was always cool to see them eat. Hopefully yours doesn't try to worry you anymore, though I'm sure you'll have some moments of high blood pressure. ;)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I here they refuse food when misted, might be premolt. misting an avic lead to two things: either your avic was a plant or it will die.
You "HEARD" wrong. I mist all my Ts and have no problems with food refusal nor do they die.

ArachnidBoi

Arachnopeon
for the love of peckham do not do this here
make your own thread if you're gonna argue about misting

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
true, but they aren't moisture dependent so there is a boundary to where water is harmful.
As is true of many, many Ts. Husbandry is a combination of the right amounts of this and that... just saying misting in general will kill Ts is incorrect.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
As is true of many, many Ts. Husbandry is a combination of the right amounts of this and that... just saying misting in general will kill Ts is incorrect.
sure I agree, except avics are notorious for being over "humidified"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sure I agree, except avics are notorious for being over "humidified"
That should have been what you wrote the first time. There are Avic keepers here, myself included, who do have Avics that don't always drink from a bowl. Sometimes it needs to rain on those Avics.

All you need to worry about with slings is if their abdomen is fat or not.

Last edited by a moderator: