Avic(Pink toe loonie)

Arachnopeon
Hello and thx for reading, im new to the hobby and i'm enjoying it very much. Ive done lots of reading on the forums and now have got 2 T's a Smithi and a pink toe, the smithi is a sling and just molted. I would have it guess its an L4/5 size now and doing well, eating like a horse and im able to handle it very carefully at ground level..it sometimes takes my breath away when it sprints up my arm and the tendency to lunch it into outerspace is quite high but i have remained clam and am getting use to the speed.

With a tiny bit of experiance ive tryed to handle the pink toe, Ive only attempted this once as it didnt go very well and scared the living crap out of me. She is a Juvenile and beautiful. When i tryed very carefully to choax her onto my hand, it resembled the flubber movie with the spider bouncing around inside the tank and ended up stuck on my chest...Ive never been so shocked at the speed of the animal and thank the lord i'd not passed out at this point. She spang sright back into the tank and i quickly but carefully closed the doors. My question does any one have any tips on handling these or should i just leave it alone..I thought about changing it for a diffrent species(C.rose) but dont really want to, i would like to handle her if my heart can take it

thanks again

Matt

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have 2.

Male A Avicularia (definitely common pinktoe)
and a something else
the male is about 4" and very skittish
i have to turn off the fan overhead because the wind current drives him insane
But.. normally he's quite temperless.. he has darted on top of my head before which is why it's always good to have help.
not really scared. but if i had help i could easily get someone to coax him to my front so i could get him off without hurting him

you have much more chance of hurting your t. than your t hurting you.

the second is about 6.5" avicularia something. looking female. i've had her for 3 days now. and she's quite docile and doesn't really care
if i touch her leg
she moves her one leg
if i touch her carapace, she'll slide under and away

but the kid who got her out of her nasty enclosure used 10" tongs and she went psycho on them. turned, leaped, bit..
after i watched this and his nervousness.. i took the tongs with her on them still in my hands, put them on the floor of her tank, she got off, i slid her onto my hand and into the kk for the trip home.

now my.. B. Vagans.. she will bite first feel of the paintbrush trying to move her back out of the way. no hairs, no running, Turn and bite.
but when i move her with my hand.. she's much more tollerable, she'll turn and posture up some, but not like when i use the brush.

so what are you doing to freak this thing out?
lol..
maybe too much air current, mine will even jump if i breathe heavy on them accidentally?.
maybe you're is just psycho stage.
i saw a small avic juvie i wanted and when i pulled the tree limb out fo the tank to try to hold it.. it spun around all exorcist style, flipping out
put the tree branch back.. totally calm again

reclusa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Give it time

My rule is that, if your nervous, do not hold your pet as you could do her some harm. But do not get discouraged, as they tend to settle down as they get larger. Remember, as a young spider, they can perceive you as a predator. Most of my Avic avics settle down once they reach 3" or so. I'm not saying not to hold her, just realize that she can jump from your hand at any time, run with a burst of speed at any time, or use the "poop" defense at ant time:eek: . You need to be ready for, and comfortable with that.

John

Last edited:

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As a general rule: Tarantulas don't need,like, or want to be handled.

If you don't feel comfortable handling your tarantula, then common sense would say 'don't'. You have the potential to harm, possibly fatally, your tarantula, or lose them should they choose to take off.

If you absolutely MUST handle them...There are dozens are ways you could go about this. The simple 'hand out, push on the butt'..or something I do with aggressive T's is coax them onto another surface, or deli cup, first. I've found this from time to time will give them time 'realize' what's happening and they've usually calmed down by the time they've reached my flesh.

Again, you your best judgment. Remember the handling of a T is simply for you, and keep that in mind.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I handle on occasion (not much and usually in conjunction with cleaning or enclosure changes), but have done it for years. Still speed is what makes most of us jump and and even with experience the first time a pokie used me for a speedway it made me jerk a little, I've kept and bred snakes for years and still jerk from a strike. It may be hardwired into our genes.
Rev

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the advice...Ive only been into T's for about a month and am totally addicted to them. I sat and watched the pink toe under a LED blue moonlight clean its fangs/mouth and what seemed like massage itself upside down for over an hour..incrediably fasinating, didnt mind the moonlight what so ever. I thinbk i will stick to handeling the smithi and leave the pink for awhile untill my experiance grows, as i really dont want to cause injury to her. Once again thank you for your swift replys

Matt

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sure u can

i handle mine often u just need to make sure its in a fair enough mood and to stay calm at all costs and if it starts moving fast cup ur hand over it and itll stop and calm down

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i handle mine often u just need to make sure its in a fair enough mood and to stay calm at all costs and if it starts moving fast cup ur hand over it and itll stop and calm down
:eek: Good way to be writing a bite report. Just take it slow you will learn your T's temperament . Soon with more experience you'll have no trouble handling your T.

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how long have you had it. when i first got my pinktoe she did the same thing but after a couple months she had settled in and was quite easy to work with and handle

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My rule is that, if your nervous, do not hold your pet as you could do her some harm. But do not get discouraged, as they tend to settle down as they get larger. Remember, as a young spider, they can perceive you as a predator. Most of my Avic avics settle down once they reach 3" or so. I'm not saying not to hold her, just realize that she can jump from your hand at any time, run with a burst of speed at any time, or use the "poop" defense at ant time:eek: . You need to be ready for, and comfortable with that.

John
yeah the old "Poop shootin boogie"

Arachnopeon
Ive only Had her for about a week, the pet shop didn't handel her either, so i guess she's gonna be jumpy...she i keep trying or leave here to settle in for a month or so?...i dont want to stress her out.