avic hanging out with molt

charlotte

Arachnopeon
I've had my first avic for about 2 weeks before it molted. It's been about three days and it's still sitting in the web with the molt and hasn't come out. Is this normal? She seems to be free of the molt as far as I can see. This is my first aboreal spider. When my chilean rose molted, I just removed the molt when he was done.

Note to people with fat cats - my chilean rose died when my cat used his cage as a springboard and broke through the screen top of the 5 gallon aquarium and crused my rose.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sounds normal to me. Give it another few days before trying to mess with it. I usually wait a least a week.

Some of mine leave the molted skin in their web with them and web it up and others toss it out. One of my P. murinus waited 3 weeks before discarded the molted skin!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds fairly normal. My H. lividum never removes her exuvia from her burrow. She will either pack in the end of the burrow or eat it.

charlotte

Arachnopeon
Thanks, that's good to know. I was getting a little worried, but I didn't want to keep bothering her. I'm just really curious to see her - when I shined a light on her, she looks a lot prettier now than before she molted. Thanks again.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, the colors after a molt are usually great. I always love fresh tarantulas. :D

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Sounds fairly normal. My H. lividum never removes her exuvia from her burrow. She will either pack in the end of the burrow or eat it.
Eat the molt? I've never heard of tarantula's doing this?

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry about your Rosie; thanks for posting about it as a good reminder.

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My A.avic just molted 2 1/2 days ago and is in its web tunnel with its shed skin also.Its prolly just recovering as its new exo hardens.No worries here,I believe it to be perfectly normal.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My A. versi would never remove the molt. I had to get the hemostats and remove the molt from the entrance of the web.

Gregg1LE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My avic has saved her last two molts. She has them packed in the end of her tube web.

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I own 4 cats, and out of the 8 or so months I've been caring for Ts, I've only had one incident... My second youngest cat, Lucky, jumped ontop of my G. Rosea's 10 gallon, pushed in the door, and the door hit my spider in the abdomen and split it open... I put polysporine, and new skin on it, and she was fine with the next molt :D

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had one incident with my cat. She got on top of the snake's cage and it fell in. The snake got out for 4 months. One nite, I saw it crawling around on the floor.
We punished the cat. We set the cage back in the same place and waited for the cat to jump back on it. When she did she got popped.

cody

Arachnopeon
i lost my rosehair to a cat to. ive never had a problem with my reptiles only myT:p funny how those things work!

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hanging out with shed...

Hey Charlotte,
Most of my avics do this too, keeping their old skin in their tube webs. After a few days I take the old skin out with forceps as to keep any mites at bay.

charlotte

Arachnopeon
I'll probably remove the molt when my avic takes a trip out of its web. I can 't wait to get a good look at her, her colors are incredible now.

As far as my cat goes, he's a born hunter, but I honestly think it was after the cricket in the enclosure. My cat has knocked over the cricket keeper and eaten the crickets that have gotten out - he likes the cream filling covered by a crunchy coating.