Avic Death

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Over the last five days, I've been trying to nurse my girl back to health. Today she finally died.

Day 1, I found her on the bottom of her enclosure in the death curl next to her (large water dish), gave her an additional water bowl (Gatorade lid). I nudged her towards it and she drank heavily.
Day 2, found her in death curl again. I tried giving an additional small dish in lieu of the big one and spilled the big bowl. I moved her to a smaller "quarantine" enclosurer. I later found her curled and nudged her towards the dish where she drank heavily. At this point, I noticed her legs were twitchy when she tried to move and she could not climb any surfaces.
Day 3&4, continued to find her in death curl and nudged to water dish where she would drink heavily.
Day five, got home and she is gone.

Her abdomen was stuck to the enclosure with hardened fecal matter. When I attempted to clean it off (her abdomen) with a wet q-tip, more came out. I also noticed the hairs around her mouth were hard almost like hardened glue. Water loosened it up pretty quickly though.

-Ive had her for several years
-Last molt was within the last year (I lost my data)
-Enclosure:
>Dry substrate
>Large water dish
-Temps: 74-78
-Diet: Dubia Roaches
-Isolated heated closet

Any clues add to what caused this?

Last edited:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Age and airflow are what comes to mind, leaning towards age.
I got her September 2015 as a comfirmed female (2.5"+).
I've attached an image of her enclosure and what she looks like as of this moment (I positioned her legs to see her abdomen better).

PSX_20190129_200651.jpg PSX_20190129_201251.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Sounds like she was impacted. :( Impaction seems to be a death sentence in most cases.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
What could I have done to prevent this?
There's really nothing you could have done. Sometimes they get impacted for seemingly no reason, and once they do it's usually death. The best chance they have is to molt and hope that solves whatever is causing them to be impacted, but most die before then. You could also try to clear the anus with a wet cotton swab, warm water, etc but even if you do manage to clean it the majority of the time they are too far gone and die anyway.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Thekla @The Grym Reaper

What could I have done to prevent this?
I have a theory about impaction, but mind my man, as I've said, is only a theory. I do keep my T's, as far as I can, in the "slim fit" size (yes, including the more 'giants' one such P.muticus etc).

The reason is this. As we know, T's, in the wild, eat only when they can. It's a struggle for survival, out there, and the only rule is that "the strong prey on the weak".

Now, let's be honest and admit that (even if this isn't our fault) our T's, in captivity, are living a pretty comfy life. To an extent, our privately owned CB (and for that matter, non so CB) T's, are, if compared to the wild T's, like an obese man Vs a properly proportioned, healthy man.

We 'forced' a bit the hand, with feeding and no, ain't talking about 'powerfeeding' at all.

I do simply offer one (sized properly, obviously, for the spider in question) roach/cricket every 12/15 days to my juvenile/adults.

I personally think that all of those 'impaction' issues btw occurred a lot, recently (and to quite skilled, prepared keepers) are due to too much feeding (again, not 'powerfeeding') until the day when something internal doesn't anymore work in the right way.

But that's only a theory of mine :)

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm so sorry for your loss ):

I actually agree with Chris' line of thinking... maybe there is something internal that can happen when they are fed too much. I know with obese animals of other species, the extra weight does cause issues with how internal functions work.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
I have a theory about impaction, but mind my man, as I've said, is only a theory. I do keep my T's, as far as I can, in the "slim fit" size (yes, including the more 'giants' one such P.muticus etc).

The reason is this. As we know, T's, in the wild, eat only when they can. It's a struggle for survival, out there, and the only rule is that "the strong prey on the weak".

Now, let's be honest and admit that (even if this isn't our fault) our T's, in captivity, are living a pretty comfy life. To an extent, our privately owned CB (and for that matter, non so CB) T's, are, if compared to the wild T's, like an obese man Vs a properly proportioned, healthy man.

We 'forced' a bit the hand, with feeding and no, ain't talking about 'powerfeeding' at all.

I do simply offer one (sized properly, obviously, for the spider in question) roach/cricket every 12/15 days to my juvenile/adults.

I personally think that all of those 'impaction' issues btw occurred a lot, recently (and to quite skilled, prepared keepers) are due to too much feeding (again, not 'powerfeeding') until the day when something internal doesn't anymore work in the right way.

But that's only a theory of mine :)
I've scaled back on feeding my cholcades after reading some thoughts on the boards. I learned there isn't a specific set feeding schedule (initially I was told 3 crickets every week).....then I scaled back to 2 a week.

Now I'm thinking 2 or 3 crickets every 2 weeks since they can go without food for awhile. I'll do a feeding twice a month instead of weekly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can’t say at all. Always sucks when it happens this way,
Sorry!

I’ve had this happen with Avics before, not large ones.

Would be nice to know what happened, perhaps what is learned could be prevented.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
My lady and I picked up a random avicularia spp for 10$ at an expo, I knew the thing was destined for failure just on visual inspection alone but my lady wanted it. Needless to say it died 2 days later from what I suspect was impaction. Almost identical circumstances and scenario as yours except it was much more rapid as I believe we bought the T and it was already at what you described as "day 2" for yours. I've also experienced similar "impaction" type incidents with avics in particular being shipped to my local shop in the past year or two. It definitely isn't fun losing any animal and I'm sorry for your loss.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Her abdomen was stuck to the enclosure with hardened fecal matter. When I attempted to clean it off (her abdomen) with a wet q-tip, more came out. I also noticed the hairs around her mouth were hard almost like hardened glue. Water loosened it up pretty quickly though.
Definitely death from impaction. Tom Moran had this happen to his female Euathlus parvulus. Same results, attempted to loosen the impaction, but it never recovered. Unfortunately, by the time the T is exhibiting affects from impaction it's too late, and has unfortunately already caused damage to them physiologically. Sorry for the loss. I love my Avic. avic. female. They're a "boring" staple of the hobby though! Mine is somewhere around 6 inches and she's a big feisty girl!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
So sorry you lost your avic. :(
I agree with the impaction idea, since I imagine you had good ventilation and most other causes seem ruled out (could she have been old -- like, already an adult when you acquired her?).
Anyway, mostly wanted to just say I'm sorry you lost her.