Avic avicularia in 8x8x10 exo terra

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Judging by the responses from Venom1080 and poec54 you'd think it makes a large difference. I said in my posts that I've raised or am raising Avic slings both in south LA and in Denver and haven't had any special challenges even when conditions haven't been perfect. Central heating and air evens things out a lot in many areas of the country. I don't have central air in my new home, just heat and an attic fan to draw cool outside air in during the evening in the summer meaning I rely on tree shade and insulation to keep temps down. In the winter the heater runs a lot thus drying the air more than usual meaning enclosures dry out more quickly. Someone who is not attentive enough would have a harder time keeping humidity up and would be more prone to losing a sling. That is why I said it shouldn't be an issue to raise an Avic sling if someone pays attention and does their homework.

The OP was told to avoid a sling as a newbie because they were hard to raise. Being a newbie doesn't mean you're stupid and can't be successful. I also agreed that they'd be better off with a larger spider to begin with especially since that species is cheap even at larger sizes. I just posted that in my experience they're not hard to raise even when conditions aren't perfect if you do a little homework, set up the enclosures correctly, pay attention to them, and maybe have a little luck. :)

I pointed out that there were times where I left my doors open and occasionally windows while living in a hot and humid (most of the year) environment and that the slings were ok. Same with my new home that I moved in to in October (had the versis before then), there's been temperature fluctuations due to home construction/amenities but so far so good and I plan to take steps to reduce them (first home I've owned)

This was my personal experience; that they don't seem as fragile as some make them out to be. That's all. Not arguing that they may be more sensitive and possibly not the best choice for every beginner. :)
Ah I see now, that all makes sense. If I didn't have central A/C I would be singing in a different tune. Good point Edesign.:cool:

I think the key to your statement about Avic slings is doing the homework. Most of the "my dead avic" owner here are doing their homework POST-MORTEM :(:banghead::arghh:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Ah I see now, that all makes sense. If I didn't have central A/C I would be singing in a different tune. Good point Edesign.:cool:

I think the key to your statement about Avic slings is doing the homework. Most of the "my dead avic" owner here are doing their homework POST-MORTEM :(:banghead::arghh:
Thanks. I was starting to think I was doing a very poor job of correctly saying what I wanted lol. I've noticed that trend as well, both back when I first joined and now these days when I've been a bit more active. But, on the plus side, there aren't that many of them so either people hide it or they're successful. I've seen plenty of success (in general) :)

Johnec97

Arachnopeon
i use the 8x8x8 exo tera for mine, shes only about 2".
In the exo terra that you use, did you replace the top screen with acrylic like was suggested by viper69? If so, did you have to cut the acrylic or were you able to purchase one that fit?

Johnec97

Arachnopeon
To fill an empty cage' isn't a particularly good reason to get one.
Yes, I have an empty cage id like to use, but not once did I say that filling the cage was my reason for the t. I plan to get an avic avic at some point and have planned to do so for a while. If all I wanted to was to fill a cage I would have already bought one and probably killed it by now, hence why I'm here asking questions months in advance. Yes, I asked if you guys know of something that would be good for a beginner and I could use the cage for but that doesn't make that cage my priority, if it was, I wouldn't be here asking questions. I am willing to modify the cage. I plan to drill holes for better ventilation and if more of you agree that it is neccesary, I will purchase acrylic to replace the top. I don't see what your problem is, if you read the rest of the thread you would see that I am here for advice and not in any kind of hurry. I don't plan to kill this t.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The best Avic cages have holes in the sides for cross ventilation and solid tops, which create a microclimate. The more anchor points the better (cork, branches, plastic plants) to encourage spinning.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
First time owner and decided to start off with avics. Yes I do sometimes wish I hadnt started with them as it has been nerve wracking.(am over 2 weeks now so so far ok).

I will use 16/32 oz deli cups and am searching for suitable containers for the future (am rethinking whether 32oz is 2 big for say 2-3cm slings around the 1st moult size). I am going to be making as many acyrlic cases as I can (but this is expensive) so am also going to use something like 5/10 litre tall jars.

I wouldnt use an exo terra myself. Dont like the design but as people have said if you can replace the mesh lids then why not.

Another chap created a thread a few days and I offered him suggestions.

Jamies tarantulas sells an option I would consider (amac boxes).

p.s And I agree with the above post except have put holes in the top of my lids. (again something I might reconsider for the future). Is something that has been bothering me the lack of spinning with my avics..maybe they prefer holeless lids and web more readily with just good x ventilation).

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
In the exo terra that you use, did you replace the top screen with acrylic like was suggested by viper69? If so, did you have to cut the acrylic or were you able to purchase one that fit?
i didnt. have never noticed a issue with mesh lids. i DID restrict about half of the ventilation to create a micro climate. acrylic lids sound like a pain.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
And yet Trenor and I have had no real issues. Crazy.
you said Florida like it was a great advantage to raise a avic there, thats all. its not impossible, not even difficult if you know what youre doing.