Avic avicularia in 8x8x10 exo terra

Johnec97

Arachnopeon
I've been really wanting to get an Avic. Avicularia for a while as my first tarantula (had an arizona desert tarantula when I was younger but don't count that). Anyway, long story short, I have an empty 8inWx8inDx10inH exo terra (roughly 2.3 gallons) laying around and was wondering if that would be a big enough enclouse for an adult. Would it be too big for a sling or juvie?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Just get a new tank, exo-terras are designed for lizards and frogs and crabs, not spiders. Not saying in can't be done, but it's so incredibly difficult and time consuming, you'd be far better off purchasing a deli cup or a specialized spider tank.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
too big for a juvi and sling, but a adult would probably be fine. i use a 8x8x8 for my avic avic and its been working fine for the last 6 months. i use a large water dish about 3/4" deep and 2.5" in diameter, keep that full and clean. no misting or additional moisture added. works fine. if you dont get a adult, pick up a different cage for now. plastic containers at walmart or something.

Johnec97

Arachnopeon
Just get a new tank, exo-terras are designed for lizards and frogs and crabs, not spiders. Not saying in can't be done, but it's so incredibly difficult and time consuming, you'd be far better off purchasing a deli cup or a specialized spider tank.
If it's possible, I'd really like to use this tank though since I just have it laying around

Johnec97

Arachnopeon
too big for a juvi and sling, but a adult would probably be fine. i use a 8x8x8 for my avic avic and its been working fine for the last 6 months. i use a large water dish about 3/4" deep and 2.5" in diameter, keep that full and clean. no misting or additional moisture added. works fine. if you dont get a adult, pick up a different cage for now. plastic containers at walmart or something.
Thanks for the advice, how small of a cage would be recommended if I don't get an adult?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the advice, how small of a cage would be recommended if I don't get an adult?
depends on the size. i would highly recommend not getting a avic avic smaller than 1.5" or so. as slings they are extremely fragile till you get a healthy understanding of their care. even im a little nervous picking up avic slings. at 1.5" a 32oz deli cup with plenty of cross ventilation and water dish will do fine. larger sizes will require something bigger. plastic tubs from walmart are a godsend to t keepers, huge variety of sizes for very cheap.

Johnec97

Arachnopeon
depends on the size. i would highly recommend not getting a avic avic smaller than 1.5" or so. as slings they are extremely fragile till you get a healthy understanding of their care. even im a little nervous picking up avic slings. at 1.5" a 32oz deli cup with plenty of cross ventilation and water dish will do fine. larger sizes will require something bigger. plastic tubs from walmart are a godsend to t keepers, huge variety of sizes for very cheap.
So try to find a 1.5 inch avic and start with 32 oz and work it up to the 8x8x10? At what size would it be ok to transfer to the 8x8x10? Sorry for all the questions, I've read several care sheets but I'm pretty much clueless

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
So try to find a 1.5 inch avic and start with 32 oz and work it up to the 8x8x10? At what size would it be ok to transfer to the 8x8x10? Sorry for all the questions, I've read several care sheets but I'm pretty much clueless
hey, no worries! i love answering questions! :) 32oz will probably be okay for a molt or two, than you will need something bigger if you do end up getting a 1.5" avic avic. a plastic tub from walmart is best, go there and pick one out. make sure its tall and can comfortably house the T for a few molts. you dont really want to rehouse after every molt and you dont want a cage that is simply gigantic. personally, i use the 8x8x8 exo tera for mine, shes only about 2". its alittle big for her but shes settled nicely. care sheets off the internet are pretty useless and usually give bad advice. if you need to know something, just make a thread on arachnoboards.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Once it outgrows the 32oz deli check it's size. If it still looks tiny in the big enclosure get something in between. If it doesn't, it should be ok going to the bigger enclosure. The main thing is not to put it in something so large it is hard to locate or care for.

Johnec97

Arachnopeon
hey, no worries! i love answering questions! :) 32oz will probably be okay for a molt or two, than you will need something bigger if you do end up getting a 1.5" avic avic. a plastic tub from walmart is best, go there and pick one out. make sure its tall and can comfortably house the T for a few molts. you dont really want to rehouse after every molt and you dont want a cage that is simply gigantic. personally, i use the 8x8x8 exo tera for mine, shes only about 2". its alittle big for her but shes settled nicely. care sheets off the internet are pretty useless and usually give bad advice. if you need to know something, just make a thread on arachnoboards.
Yeah I felt like the care sheets either contradicted each other or required you to already know some basics to understand what they were talking about.
Once it outgrows the 32oz deli check it's size. If it still looks tiny in the big enclosure get something in between. If it doesn't, it should be ok going to the bigger enclosure. The main thing is not to put it in something so large it is hard to locate or care for.
Cool, thanks for the input

It will be 2 or 3 months before I am able to get one as I will be out of the country for most of the summer but I want to make sure I have some idea what I'm getting myself into well before I purchase one. You guys are awesome. I'm sure I'll be back with plenty more questions

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
depends on the size. i would highly recommend not getting a avic avic smaller than 1.5" or so. as slings they are extremely fragile till you get a healthy understanding of their care. even im a little nervous picking up avic slings.
The OP lives in Florida. I doubt they would have any difficulty in keeping even 3/4" slings. I live in bone-dry-most-of-the-year Denver, CO and only lost one of my three versicolor slings so far (1/2" when I got them, molted twice in seven months, I think but this one died well after the first molt in my care but before the second) which are supposedly delicate. It was the smallest of the three, never had a good feeding response, and just always seemed weak. Doubt it had anything to do with the conditions because the other two are doing great. I did, in the last month, put a humidifier in that room which has me relaxing a lot more. As long as proper ventilation is provided I doubt even a new keeper would have too much difficulty especially in Florida.

On the plus side A. avics are pretty cheap even when they have some size to them, I picked up a 2.5"ish specimen locally at a LPS for $25. Looks to be female too.

It will be 2 or 3 months before I am able to get one as I will be out of the country for most of the summer but I want to make sure I have some idea what I'm getting myself into well before I purchase one. You guys are awesome. I'm sure I'll be back with plenty more questions
Plenty of time for you to ask questions and do your own thorough research. You'll be perfectly fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been really wanting to get an Avic. Avicularia for a while as my first tarantula (had an arizona desert tarantula when I was younger but don't count that). Anyway, long story short, I have an empty 8inWx8inDx10inH exo terra (roughly 2.3 gallons) laying around and was wondering if that would be a big enough enclouse for an adult. Would it be too big for a sling or juvie?

You can keep adults in them. I have done this with my A. metallica, and a very successful Avic breeder I know has used them.

IF you do use it, you MUST remove that screen, and replace it with acrylic. The screen top gets causes your T to get stuck as their tarsal claws will hook onto them.

Good size for Avics for YOU, is 2". Not that you can't do smaller, but it would be easier for you. As slings they have a narrow range of husbandry that they find acceptable. After 2" they are more hardy and slightly more forgiving.

You should give them a water bowl. I place min on the ground floor.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The OP lives in Florida. I doubt they would have any difficulty in keeping even 3/4" slings.
i would. avics dont live in Florida, the temps and humidity arent perfect for them. for a first time sling/arboreal/ T owner, i dont think thats very good advice.

Kelly1972

Arachnopeon
The OP lives in Florida. I doubt they would have any difficulty in keeping even 3/4" slings. I live in bone-dry-most-of-the-year Denver, CO and only lost one of my three versicolor slings so far (1/2" when I got them, molted twice in seven months, I think but this one died well after the first molt in my care but before the second) which are supposedly delicate. It was the smallest of the three, never had a good feeding response, and just always seemed weak. Doubt it had anything to do with the conditions because the other two are doing great. I did, in the last month, put a humidifier in that room which has me relaxing a lot more. As long as proper ventilation is provided I doubt even a new keeper would have too much difficulty especially in Florida.

On the plus side A. avics are pretty cheap even when they have some size to them, I picked up a 2.5"ish specimen locally at a LPS for $25. Looks to be female too.

Plenty of time for you to ask questions and do your own thorough research. You'll be perfectly fine.
Hi!
I've just read off this that you have versicolor slings. I'm in the UK and would really love one. Can you give me any advice on care please?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
First time doesn't mean incompetent :) Some people may have difficulty, others may not. I've seen beginners raise Avics on these forums. Either way I agreed larger isn't a bad option since they're also cheap not to mention for a first spider it's nice to have something with some size on it already :) Lots of time to get in to slings later.

Like I said, I live in Denver where our humidity is dry in the summer and even drier in the winter, home temps are easily in the 80's in the summer if you don't have AC (or if you don't want a couple hundred dollar electric bill ha) and in the mid-low 60's in winter if poorly insulated/heated. I have managed to keep my A. versicolor slings alive aside from one that was weak to begin with for over seven months and there were times prior to hooking up the humidifier recently that I wasn't as attentive to humidity as I should have been. The two that weren't weak to begin with are doing fine.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Hi!
I've just read off this that you have versicolor slings. I'm in the UK and would really love one. Can you give me any advice on care please?
I'll send you a PM or you can start a new thread as this is OT. Generally speaking they're more sensitive to lack of ventilation and humidity.

Kelly1972

Arachnopeon
I'll send you a PM or you can start a new thread as this is OT. Generally speaking they're more sensitive to lack of ventilation and humidity.
PM me please? I tried to PM you, but couldn't do it for some reason. I prefer not to create a thread as don't want any flack for choosing to have an avic versicolor sling!

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my opinion Eco Terra's are not good for t's. A lot of them have metal screen tops, no cross ventilation, they're too wide for arboreals and too tall for terrestrials because the forward doors don't allow you to put in deep enough substrate. Eco Terra's are for lizards and the like, they look great. The best t cages don't look great as their most important feature, they provide your t with a safe and secure environment. I believe, avic's especially, do better in smaller cages. It allows them to more easily create their nest and reduces the amount of room they must hunt for their prey. I would keep a full grown 4 inch even in nothing larger than a 6 x 6 x 12" container, so seeing a 1 inch avic housed in an exo terra pains me. The poor t is going to end up wedged in one corner with a tiny triangle of a web because no one ever puts enough plants in there to attach to. They probably feel like it's more important to see their t at all times but that is no kind of healthy normal existence for an animal that needs a secure hide to spend 1/3 of its life molting in. Personally I use acrylic model car cases on end with 2" louvered vents on both sides and the front.