1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avic Avic or Avicularia Metallica?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Ztesch, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey @cold blood Did you end up getting slings from your Gbb pairing? I think I read a post about that scimming through arachnoboards.

2. Ztesch

So then there is no A. Metallica? From the picture I posted it would most likely be a Avic Avic morph type 6.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

I don't keep my P. cancerides slings any damper than my B. vagans slings.

4. cold blood

Yes and no...yes, she dropped a fat sac...but no, I saw no returns as she decided she wanted a really expensive meal.

• Sad Sad x 2
  5. Ztesch

Damn that sucks. I was hoping you might have some Gbb slings available. When are you going to try again?

6. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

:( Tarantula cavier. The most disappointing meal a keeper can experience.

Credits @efmp1987 for making that connection first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ztesch

Did you breed those or is that a breeding project? I almost got a 1 inch cancerides but found my P. Sazamai for a good deal. Also I really like the B. Vagans so far. I have a 1.75 Juvinile who has the red rump going. Looks really cool, and they have a little attitude on them lol. I was trying to take a meal worm out of its enclosure and the Damn thing kept biting my tongs.

8. cold blood

A friends that I also paired looked quite gravid last I saw, but I haven't heard anything recently. I will wait a molt cycle before I pair her again....not exactly in a hurry, they can be a pain to breed.
    They were bred by @Blue Jaye
    I have chromatus slings I bred...errr, that were bred in my house (I've personally violated no tarantulas)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ztesch

So how many slings did you end up with? Also how the hell do you feed 500 plus slings efficiently?

10. CEC

CEC Arachnolord Arachnosupporter

MN-USA
    Nope... but to be exact, the authors (Fukushima & bertani) of the revision consider Avicularia metallica and many others (geroldi, braunshauseni, azuraklaasi etc) to be nomina dubia (doubtful label). The descriptions are very poor to their standards and the original material used to describe them is lost so it couldn't be compared. Therefore, they can't scientifically say they are junior synonyms of Avicularia avicularia. They did however, research the areas where these nomina dubia "species" are said to be and only found what they consider variants of one of the 12 valid species. The pics, locality and description of Avicularia avicularia morphotype #6 matches Avicularia metallica...

On a side note, it's good to know the old pet trade names of your Avicularia, far less confusing for your average keeper.

• Like Like x 3
  11. cold blood

Final count was in the 800 range. I feed in chunks. When feeding diced mealworms it isn't that bad...2 hrs a night for 2 nights, then another hour or so the next day removing moldy leftovers. I usually just put on a baseball game or a Greatful Dead album and feed away when I have a lot of work to do.

Giving mealworm pieces fills slings fast as its a large fatty meal, so I don't need to feed often to fatten them....I fed about twice a month and had molt rates of about 35 days....If I were pressing it and feeding every 2-3 days I might have improved their molt cycle by a week....so I can feed rather infrequently and still maintain good growth rates at the same time....win-win, as they say.

But truthfully, ts not all that imposing as these are pretty flexible critters in terms of actual care frequency...It sounds like a lot, but can do a quick walk through and check everyone in like 5 minutes.

• Informative Informative x 2