Avic Avic Advice

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I was mulling over getting a P. Fortis or a N. Tripepii (I'm definitely getting both lol), but as I was doing that I found someone selling 2cm Pinktoe Avic Avics and I don't have any arboreals yet so I wanted to get this one.
I had looked into getting the Venezuelan Suntiger, but the fact that they have a bad bite and arboreals bolt up instead of down made me a bit hesistant, along with the fact that if I get a female Suntiger it's basically just black and I already have a black spider.

So I heard that the Avic Avic is a good beginner arboreal and rare in my country.

I will buy an arboreal container, and decorate it as such.

I was thinking somethin like this looks really adequate and good.
I've heard Avic Avics are known for randomly dying - is this true? It gets to about 26-31 degrees in my country in the summer. Is this too hot? I keep my spiders on a shelf in my bedroom, my bedroom just has a PC and a Monitor, but it's a gaming PC so I don't want this guy to overheat.
What temp is too high for a tarantula?
Do I still add a water dish on the ground for a T?
What should I avoid with arboreal slings/avic avic slings?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Hi guys,

I was mulling over getting a P. Fortis or a N. Tripepii (I'm definitely getting both lol), but as I was doing that I found someone selling 2cm Pinktoe Avic Avics and I don't have any arboreals yet so I wanted to get this one.
I had looked into getting the Venezuelan Suntiger, but the fact that they have a bad bite and arboreals bolt up instead of down made me a bit hesistant, along with the fact that if I get a female Suntiger it's basically just black and I already have a black spider.

So I heard that the Avic Avic is a good beginner arboreal and rare in my country.

I will buy an arboreal container, and decorate it as such.

I've heard Avic Avics are known for randomly dying - is this true? It gets to about 26-31 degrees in my country in the summer. Is this too hot? I keep my spiders on a shelf in my bedroom, my bedroom just has a PC and a Monitor, but it's a gaming PC so I don't want this guy to overheat.
What temp is too high for a tarantula?
Do I still add a water dish on the ground for a T?
What should I avoid with arboreal slings/avic avic slings?
The enclosure you posted a pic of would be perfect for an avic. No they don’t die randomly as long as you have a water dish and lots of cross ventilation you should be fine the story’s of them dying are Ts just not being kept correctly. Those temps are warmer compared to what what I keep mine at (20 - 24)but I can’t see it being an issue as long as you have plenty of ventilation and keep the enclosure out of direct sunlight there a great starter arboreal, the P Irmina is a good T to go for when Making the jump To old world spiders with there speed and the orange on the legs looks awesome although I started with the P Cambrigei it’s similar behaviour

ghostly

Arachnopeon
I think an avic is a great first arboreal. I've personally never had an avic avic, but I've raised a C. versicolor (ex Avicularia) from a tiny sling, and I currently have an A. metallica sling, and they've both been amazing to keep so far.

Random avic deaths are a bit of a myth in the tarantula community. The general consensus is that a lot of mistakes were made when avics were first introduced in the pet trade, mainly that they were kept way too moist and with too little ventilation, which resulted in a lot of deaths and the rumor that they are particularly fragile and hard to raise.
Cross ventilation is key for avics. An enclosure like the one in your pic is great, I would just make sure that there are ventilation holes on all sides. Keep the substrate mostly dry and offer a water dish.
If you don't want to put it on the ground (avics rarely come down to the ground once they've made themselves a home in the upper part of the enclosure) you can also glue it on the side of the enclosure with silicone. It's also a good idea to lightly sprinkle the webbing with water droplets from time to time, since that's their main source of water in the wild and mine have always preferred to drink from the webbing. Just don't spray the whole enclosure down, extremely high humidity creates nothing but problems for avics.

cold blood

Staff member
but the fact that they have a bad bite and arboreals bolt up instead of down made me a bit hesistant, along with the fact that
Where did you hear this...lol...not true...especially for an irminia....all arboreals aside from avic types, generally make their homes at ground level...this is where they bolt for the most part. Avics stay up, but tend not to be very bolty.

if I get a female Suntiger it's basically just black and I already have a black spider.
Not really, the oranges are quite striking and clearly set them apart from other black spiders.
Looks good, but for an avic you want more plant clutter around the top of that wood.
What temp is too high for a tarantula
over 95f

Ts can tolerate huge temp variances...most ts will be fine between 68 and 95 with very few exceptions.
If you don't want to put it on the ground (avics rarely come down to the ground once they've made themselves a home in the upper part of the enclosure) you can also glue it on the side of the enclosure with silicone.
I have raised hundreds of avics...I have never once elevated a water dish...they all come down to drink from time to time....for those more reluctant, its as simple as a slight spritz on the webbing once or twice a month.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I agree that you should start with an avic but gosh, I love my p. irminia...on the rare occasion that I see it. Lol I’d definitely suggest the species, when you’re prepared for keeping one.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A avic is a good species to get before irminia. But if you don’t want an irminia because you already have a black spider then why do you want an a Avic? It’s even more black than an irminia lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
IIRC just never spray the Avic Avic enclosure humidity is bad! Just water dish and maybe wet the webbing with some water droplets

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
So what's the best way to feed lil avic avic here. With my Terrestrials I usually just squish a roach and drop it in. But this guy is sitting on the glass where I'm supposed to open it. I tried holding a pinhead cricket in front of him but the cricket broke its leg and fell on the substrate, probably gonna die and mold there.

definitely my prettiest spider

Lolth62

Arachnosquire
I have the same, about 1 inch I feed it crickets or mealworms, but I cut the worms and crush the crickets a bit, drop them in and the sling will eat them. I catch her moving it, eating it standing on it, have had her 3 months and she is doing fine

cold blood

Staff member
Just drop in a small cricket and let the thing hunt.

I breed avics a lot....IME their best feeding response comes from lively prey....even as small slings.