Average Size vs Maximum Size of Tarantula Species

MES

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I have a Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula (G. Pulchripes) and I was doing some research on the size of them. I found that they can get up to 8.5", but that is only the maximum size. It led me to the question, how much does the size of a tarantula vary within a species? How big can I expect my female G. Pulchripes to get?
Thanks

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
In reality 7 inches. I havent seen much more than that. Though I'm sure there are some monsters out there somewhere.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Saying a G. pulchripes gets up to 8.5" is like saying humans get up to 7' tall. Sure, it happens, but don't hold your breath.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a mature male G pulchripes in my collection now (soon to be leaving) and it's at maximum 5.75" females should be larger so I'd expect 7" in reality

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Sizes are always greatly exaggerated... by breeders and hobbyists alike. I was recently told at an expo that a woman had an 8" Brachypelma albopilosum female. I want to see the exuvia for that one up against a ruler (a human hand is useless since those all differ in size as well).
The reality is that Grammostola pulchripes is one of the largest, if not the largest, of the species suitable for brand new people. There are other species who might get larger, but they are more in the intermediate and advanced categories. When I volunteer at the expos, and new people specifically ask for a larger species, G.pulchripes is the one that I recommend.

Lefisher93

Arachnopeon
Sizes are always greatly exaggerated... by breeders and hobbyists alike. I was recently told at an expo that a woman had an 8" Brachypelma albopilosum female. I want to see the exuvia for that one up against a ruler (a human hand is useless since those all differ in size as well).
The reality is that Grammostola pulchripes is one of the largest, if not the largest, of the species suitable for brand new people. There are other species who might get larger, but they are more in the intermediate and advanced categories. When I volunteer at the expos, and new people specifically ask for a larger species, G.pulchripes is the one that I recommend.
A G.pulchripes was my first baby, and even though he ended up being a male, they are still one of my favorites due to their sweet personality and hulk growth rate :)

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
About 7" is the average I think, just don't expect too much. Size varies per specimen, still a great T to have though. Docile, good colors, huge and good feeding response.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
size is not important dude, if the T has a good personality then I will love it equally.

jokes aside, some people will hyperbolize their T size...like they will something else...their height.

MES

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone for their responses! G. pulchripes are definitely great, my girl is growing and eating super well! No matter how big she gets, she's always impressive and special as my first T! I know they are supposed to have great temperments, but recently she's going through an ornery phase, I hope she gets her attitude in check soon lol.