1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian Tiger (Ethmostigmus rubripes) Centipede

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by BB8, Aug 29, 2017.

1. BB8

BB8 Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I got a better photo tonight. She was in a food coma.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

Awesome pede. Here's mine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. BB8

nice bro, they are almost the same but yours looks fatter :p How long do you think she is? i havnt seen mine moult once... must do it under the hide?

4. BB8

Actually, yours holding a large cricket.... looks identical to mine holding a medium cricket. So i am thinking yours must be around 18cm?

5. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

That is an amazing centipede. It looks so muscly and thick compared to morsitans and most other Scolopendra! A good eater I presume.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BB8

Steak :), i heard a story from the guy who started his petstore business selling roadkill in the northern territory. He used to pick up dead roo's and sell the meat. Anyway one day he saw a wedge tail eagle feeding on a carcass on the side of the road... when he went to pick up the carcass he saw a centipede clinging on from underneath. Apparently it was massive close to a foot long and it was feeding on the kangeroo meat (highest protein). I am guessing he was startled and exagerated a bit but a monster none the less.

Has anyone else heard this story? I think he owns petbarn chain or something

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking Active Member

CT
    I really like this species. Awesome post!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Staehilomyces

I actually though it was that big when I first got it, but once I measured it, it turned out to be only 14.5cm BL. Smaller than I thought, but on the plus side, it means I'll probably have many good years left with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Staehilomyces

Also, I believe the reason it's so fat it because it was overfed by its old owner. He had no ill intentions, but he never wanted the pede in the first place, and didn't know how to look after one. It was fed three crickets a day.

10. James Oswald

James Oswald Arachnopeon

IMG_0579.JPG
    I have a juvenile bought about 3 months ago this is an older photo he is about 1 1/2 cm longer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BB8

How are you finding its reactivness

12. James Oswald

James Oswald Arachnopeon

Skiddish

13. Holyhellgrammite

Holyhellgrammite Arachnopeon

Texas
    Here's mine, it is a E Rubripes but it was sold to me as Morsitans

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lithobius

Lithobius Arachnosquire

Those eggs!!!!!!! :O

15. Holyhellgrammite

Holyhellgrammite Arachnopeon

Texas
    Right!???? There's about 30 that I could see right off the bat, 25 to 30

16. Staehilomyces

Good luck with those! Make sure not to disturb her.

Roughly how big is she? My biggest measures 16cm body-length (without antennae/terminal legs). I said it was 14-15cm earlier in this thread, but that was because I measured it while it was contracted.

17. Staehilomyces

Did that pede lay recently? I've never heard of a pede dropping eggs in winter.

18. patrick nimbs

patrick nimbs Arachnosquire Active Member

I have a specimen of that species that is identical to the one that you have and it moulted under its hideout. It is now 16 cm in length (exc.. antennae).