Australian tarantula ID

Sammilouise

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone
I've found a T for sale online and just wanted to know its species. The seller refers to it as Goliath as well as selenotypus monstrous. is this right? (I thought the Goliath was phlogius not selenotypus). Apologies for the photo quality

Thanks in advance
Sam

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not much knowledge here about Australian T's due to the export bans i'm afraid.
@EulersK keeps some, and @jigalojey is from Australia as well, he might be able to give more info :)

Edit:
Just looked at your picture up close, now i am not an expert in Australian T's, but I don't think a Theraphosid likes to be sprayed with water ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
"Goliath" is just a common name and should be ignored. That definitely looks like S. monstrous by the picture. I've never owned one, but I've seen them in person before. Is this a reputable dealer?

At the very least, it doesn't look like a Phlogius to me. Much too stocky.

Sammilouise

Arachnopeon
Okay good to know! Hadn't heard of monstrous before. No just being sold by its current owner.
Yeah I'm not sure about its set up.. I only own phlogius species' so if I buy it I'll be back for keeping advice :)

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
It's not a Goliath and it's not a phlogius species, this is either a selenotholus or selenotypus species, I can't I.D it off that photo anyway since Australian species (especially arid species like yours) are extremely closely related and generally share the same appearance.....especially the ones you buy in pet shops which are more common species. Keeping the tank that wet is like torture to these guys, keep it moderately dry and make sure the soil is deep, also make sure the enclosure has air constantly being filtered through it.

Soulhavok

Arachnopeon
Goliaths sell for more hence this dealer trying to pass it off as one. Glad you stayed away from it.