Australian flame-legged Scolopendra morsitans

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Greetings! I thought I'd take the time to show off one of my favourite pedes. This is Andúril, my male Scolopendra morsitans from Western Australia. He was possibly the most aggressive morsitans I had ever kept, and long ago, I had given up on handling him. However, once he settled in and became less reclusive, I tried again. Now, he's close to the temperament of my first S. morsitans, and hasn't bitten me in two weeks.

On the other hand, he has a very slight case of mycosis. One side of the enclosure was pretty damp, so I'm guessing that was the cause. He's currently in a temporary enclosure until his proper one dries out.
45818680621_5d0c36d42c_o.jpg 31790290128_525899f66d_o.jpg 43844556850_db1ab0933d_o.jpg 44837474004_c70f139c5f_o.jpg

Scoly

Arachnobaron
That's very minimal mycosis if that. Looks in really good shape otherwise! What was the bite like?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
That's very minimal mycosis if that. Looks in really good shape otherwise! What was the bite like?
Well, the mycosis is hard to see in those pics. It's got it on about three of its legs, and it's very hard to notice. I just thought I'd get onto it quick.
And all the bites I've taken from him were dry, so I can't say what the venom was like.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Can you point out the mycosis in these pics? Perhaps I'm losing my eyesight....but this specimen looks pretty good in my eye. That said, you folks have more experience with centipedes than me....

BB8

Arachnosquire
is mycosis the blackness on those joints? i think that is what killed my 23cm rubripes :( If thats the case... dont they like it semi damp for when they moult? Must be a very fine balance between to damp and not damp enough

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Well, the mycosis is hard to see in those pics. It's got it on about three of its legs, and it's very hard to notice. I just thought I'd get onto it quick.
And all the bites I've taken from him were dry, so I can't say what the venom was like.
How can I identify mycosis? Because I’ve been keeping my Ethmostigmus rubripes cage excessively dry to avoid it getting infected. I heard that it can eventually kill centipedes. Am I right?

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
is mycosis the blackness on those joints? i think that is what killed my 23cm rubripes :( If thats the case... dont they like it semi damp for when they moult? Must be a very fine balance between to damp and not damp enough
Mycosis occurs when the substrate is excessively moist or wet. If it gets to that stage, avoid spraying the enclosure to get it to dry or transfer the centipede into a temporary enclosure and let it dry out on its own.

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Hi Staehilomyces, I have posted a thread about my 16cm tiger form ethmostigmus rubripes that had maimed it’s antennae while fighting with a grasshopper. So my centipede was given a massive grasshopper for lunch today and he took the hopper down the wrong way and it kicked my ethmostigmus rubripes in the face with its left antennae sustaining damage. It has stopped bleeding and a scab is starting to form (because it has not been severed and is still basically intact) but at the wound site, I noticed that the site is black-blue colour. I’m not sure if this is bruising, because I don’t know if centipedes get bruised, or is merely a bit of substrate had been embedded in the wound after it had stopped bleeding. If you have any ideas of what is going to happen to my centipede because my ethmostigmus rubripes is my favourite pet out of the two that I own and I’m really scared that something bad might happen to it. Can you PLEASE help me???