Australian Ethmostigmus rubripes MONSTER!

BB8

Arachnosquire
Hello,

This is my Monster Ethmostigmus rubripes (green form), she came out for a wander. The tank is about 23.6cm wide. So i estimate she is at least 21-22cm long. (Australian museum says upto 16cm lol)

I am awe struck when she rears her head up like a snake. She has grown far bigger than i expected and is very impressive to watch.

Attachments

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Also don't listen to Australian Museum. There are instances of this species reaching 25cm in length. Maybe yours may still have some growing to do!

BB8

Arachnosquire
i have a tiger form aswell about 17cm, bit psychotic that one.... when i feed her she launches at the tongs and scares the crap outta me

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah. Currently I own a brown, banded and half green/banded variant. The third has a high likelihood of being on eggs right now; she laid a batch last year, which she unfortunately ate after being disturbed by one of my other pedes, and has now disappeared for over two weeks, not even coming out at night. Besides, I've read that a single mating can lead to several fertile clutches. I've got my fingers crossed, to say the least.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
@BB8 my tiger rubripes is definitely the most aggressive of the bunch. Nevertheless, it's been calming down lately due to my gentle interactions with it (see the video I posted in a slightly earlier thread).

BB8

Arachnosquire
funny story on how I got my Tiger. I got a phone call from my sister saying that her friend had a centipede that went through the washing machine and crawled out of the washing when she emptied the machine. So i went and picked it up and it was a Tiger lol. It survived a full cycle

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I got mine out of a pure stroke of luck. I was googling images of this species to show to someone, and I happened to click on one which was part of a sale post. Even better, the owner was in Yeronga, which is quite close to my apartment in South Brisbane. Needless to say, I got it the next day. Well, perhaps more honestly, my father went and got it for me, as I had the feeling he wouldn't be OK with selling the pede to someone my age.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Hey where was that tiger rubripes found? I was under the impression they were restricted to North Queensland until I stumbled across and Instagram post by someone who had found on in their house at the Gold Coast.

Camman1983

Arachnosquire
That's awesome gotta get me one off those. I love posts about Aussie critters. I've been mainly into scorps with s few T's and trapdoors but recently acquired a large house centipede. I'm enjoying how active it is and think I might have to expand my collection to include some centipedes.

BB8

Arachnosquire
Both my rubripes were found near Dayboro (NW Brisbane) the rhysida nuda came from Clear mountain 20min down the road :p

BB8

Arachnosquire
I am curious, does any have a rubripes on here that is bigger than this. Would love to see pics

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
*sigh*
To live somewhere where glorious centipedes just fall out of washing machines... :(

A truly amazing 'pede; how active is it? I've heard Ethmos can be pet holes but does that also apply to rubripes?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Well, from my experience, E. rubripes is a reasonably active pede, unless it's given a ridiculous amount of substrate and no hide. If there is a hide, it will use that instead of burrowing. That's my experience.

BB8

Arachnosquire
I agree, mine hang out under a little drift wood. Both of my rubripes do major landscaping around the drift wood to seal off the area underneath except for 2 spots. They seem like like 2 options for entry/exit and they always seem to be on the exact opposite side of the other entrance. Depending on how damp the substrate is and the temperature, they will seal off all of it. If its dry they seal, if its damp they leave it open

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
How painful is rubripes venom? If they are ever available in the U.S. I will consider purchasing one. Call me weird but the green morph is probably my favorite!