Genus Augacephalus

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
Gorgeous!! Are they a hard species to come by?
Very hard to come by, I only know of 5 others that have them in the States but I know there are at least a few more, they come from a part of South Africa that doesn't allow export. I posted this in another thread but will repost it here too...

Greg

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi
Nice pics, i think all the specimens in the 1st post of this thread are A.junodi, you will be unlikely to have any males until one of the w/c females produces an eggsac and one of the resulting slings mature male, Augacephalus males are dwarfed in comparison to the females so will likely be over looked by collectors as insignificant, where females are around 4 to 5 inch legspan, bigger in some specimens, mature males can be as small as 1 inch legspan :)

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was actually wondering why no one ever exported augacephalus males. i mean, they'd have to be bred for the species to be successful in the hobby, right? now i know.

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

they come from a part of South Africa that doesn't allow export.
yes, they occur in RSA (Rep. South Africa) but not only there. The imported females are collected presumeably in Mozambique (cause Namibia and RSA are protected and its forbidden to export native arachnological fauna). This genus is distributed very wide in southern Africa. They occurs from Namibia over RSA to Mozambique.

Here you can find some more Info: www.baboonspiders.de

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This species is gorgeous, are they rare in the hobby. I guess they are since I haven't ever heard of them.

One makes them different from a Pterinochilus spp.?

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
several dealers offered these for sale so i take it they are not so rare...

zLOST

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and NO... i will not trade this for your new doughter LOL

Eddy
you would give her back within a day or two :)) (and i suppose, you would give me two more junodi females just to get rid of her :)
but anyway, congrats for a beautiful spider..

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
at the time of writing:

Vinmann had them (sold them as Harpactira sp)
Lee had them
Frank Schneider had them
You had them

cheers
Eddy