1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATTN: Poecilotheria owner, breeder or dealer.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ClosetCollector, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Advertisement
    Do any of you think that they will really stop us from keeping our beloved pokies?....I hope not as they are my favorite genus

2. jayefbe

jayefbe Arachnoprince

According to this https://tomsbigspiders.com/2018/08/...e-ruling-on-sri-lankan-poecilotheria-species/
    it is still legal to ship Sri Lankan Poecilotheria across state lines as long as no money is exchanging hands.

We should set up a breeding program, where hobbyists trade their mature animals to ensure that they're still being bred in captivity. The interstate commerce ban means that the future of these species in the hobby is at risk. It would be really unfortunate to see them disappear, but if hobbyists are willing to trade their animals to ensure they're bred, and are even willing to give away slings to ensure they're being kept by qualified keepers, I think we can make it work.

I'd volunteer to help start such a group, but I'm just now getting back into the hobby and don't even have any Poecilotheria in my collection yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sourpatchkid

sourpatchkid Arachnopeon

A breeding program is a great idea. I suggest starting off with a google doc of Pokie inventory in the US, for those who are interested in a breeding program. It should have the following minimum entry: timestamp, name and or username, species, amount, age of each female and male... etc. Perhaps there already is one

I'm still new to the hobby and would welcome anyone to add their suggestions

• Like Like x 1
  4. SavageCritter

SavageCritter Arachnopeon

PA
    If that document gets made, it might also be worth mentioning who hatched each T, so you could make at least a vague estimate of how closely related two individuals might be based on where they came from.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Russell Gault

Russell Gault Arachnopeon

Thanks for the info