1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATTN: Poecilotheria owner, breeder or dealer.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ClosetCollector, Jan 9, 2014.

1. nunoskii

nunoskii Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Wow this is ridiculous, seems like theyre trying to do this with every exotic animal now a days. This should definitely apply to more than just breeders.

2. Tenevanica

Tenevanica Arachnolord

I just noticed this a few days ago. Are Pokies still legal?

3. dementedlullaby

dementedlullaby Arachnoknight

Canada
    This post is pretty old and as far as I'm aware they have not passed any laws in the US banning hobbyists from owning Poecilotheria species. Maybe this is different on a state by state basis? Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the current laws will chime in. I'm not American so not 100% sure.

Still legal in Canada to own them and probably most of Europe.

I hear Italy might be a different story but I don't care enough to keep up with their laws as I never plan to move to Italy.

4. Tenevanica

Tenevanica Arachnolord

Yeah, I haven't seen anything that prohibits it here in Colorado at least. It wouldn't surprise me if they're banned somewhere based on the track record that the USDA has. Exotic beetles? BANNED! Exotic millipedes? BANNED! Any and all phasmids? BANNED! I swear, I might move to Canada just so I can keep these animals without shelling out $15,000 for a permit.

5. This is because they dont approve of captive breeding? Why the hell not?

6. dementedlullaby

dementedlullaby Arachnoknight

Canada
    Haha we can't legally own a lot of bugs here as well. Actually the list is probably longer in Canada. We can't own stags/other beetles, mantids, millipedes, dubia (and many other roach species), stick insects. I'm probably missing a bunch of others. Pretty sure you need to be a certified zoo or entomology department. I think also Universities can legally own collections but not sure.

Anyway it's not so much better across the border either :(.
    [

7. Tenevanica

Tenevanica Arachnolord

Jeez, I thought it was just a USA thing. At least we can own all roach species (except in Florida) and mantids. I feel bad for you, I honestly do. I think that these governments need to chill out and trust that the few people that are in to this hobby won't release hordes of insects in agricultural zones. Especially in Canada, where it is too cold for these animals 9 months out of the year!

8. There has been no ban. I highly recommend following USARK, if you do not already.

9. Steve Rankin

Steve Rankin Arachnopeon