Attack!

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so i was watering my 4-5"(ish) female theraphosa apophysis tonight. she had a flawless molt a few weeks ago and has been eating well.

i knew for some reason i should keep the lid on the cage and just pour through the screen..

sure enough, as soon as the water hit the dish she comes flying through the air (literally) and lands smack in the middle of the dish. it was a blatant "pounce and destroy" move.

i just thought it was too cute not to share. if only i had gotten it on video. :D

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good story... I have several that do that as well. One of mine that goes really crazy for the water is my B. albo.... absolutely nuts......

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, my T. blondi does that all the time. Anything moving is fair game.

jon.rothweiler

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
haha, thats the first time ive ever heard of that happening. maybe i'll see one of my Ts do that.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my p. nigricolors are also prone to attacking the water dish. but they usually rush up and start grabbing at the water.

this was definitely my first "airborne" attack from a terrestrial. {D

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few of my roses do this. The aggrivating thing is while they will attack the water, most times they will ignore food. I guess this is just another example of the odd behavior of roses.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a selective thing. More movement=bigger prey=more food. Most T's observed in the wild will actualy go after the bigger prey when given the choice.

My Cyriocosmus are the same. I dropped a bigger cricket with my pineads when I fed one of them, and the bug totaly ignored its usual meal to go after the biggy (that was almost twice its size!!!)!!!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yea both my Apophysis juvies does the same thing. My big girl as dropped that behavior, but it might be because she is in premolt:D