At last count, how many tarantulas are in your collection?

Dman

Arachnosquire
I have 7 from my original 2014/2015 purchases. Lost a couple slings in bad moults first year; and then had a couple MMs that passed later.
So... for last 2 years and now: 7.

Other than my dream L violaceopes (or is it now O violaceopes?) which frankly, I'm not ready for yet, I have no planned purchases at the moment.
You have good taste. the O. violaceopes is a wonderful T. Very fast but can be a pet-hole.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
You have good taste. the O. violaceopes is a wonderful T. Very fast but can be a pet-hole.
Is THAT an O violaceopes? I meant the Singapore Blue, sorry. (Gotta admit, I like the look of the pix you showed! lol)

Anyway, IF you could guarantee the 'pet hole' dealie -- I'd order one tonight! lol
Unfortunately, in spite of my T dream (this was my original dream T) I've seen too many 'escape' videos for Singapore Blues, and believe that, even after five years in the hobby, I am not ready. :( (I can still hear their pounding feet on the walls in escape videos on youtube!) I'm NOT at an expert level, more an intermediate level (have successfully kept an OBT and P cambri - no tappies, sorry). At least I'm honest. Better to know one's abilities and be logical than a Singapore Blue purchase in the home of someone NOT ready. :)

DesertDweller256

Arachnopeon
We are halfway through 2018 and the title is self explanatory, so as of the entire month of June, 2018 how many tarantulas do you currently have in your collection?

After June, I will revive this thread in the month of December.
Three, but that will quickly change through until the end of the year. Birthday next weekend and expo in November will definitely add some more

Dman

Arachnosquire
Is THAT an O violaceopes? I meant the Singapore Blue, sorry. (Gotta admit, I like the look of the pix you showed! lol)

Anyway, IF you could guarantee the 'pet hole' dealie -- I'd order one tonight! lol
Unfortunately, in spite of my T dream (this was my original dream T) I've seen too many 'escape' videos for Singapore Blues, and believe that, even after five years in the hobby, I am not ready. :( (I can still hear their pounding feet on the walls in escape videos on youtube!) I'm NOT at an expert level, more an intermediate level (have successfully kept an OBT and P cambri - no tappies, sorry). At least I'm honest. Better to know one's abilities and be logical than a Singapore Blue purchase in the home of someone NOT ready. :)
The common name for O. violaceopes is the Singapore blue. They all start off as brown and the females especially will turn blue as they mature. Mine is a juvenile unsexed and I suspect male but could be wrong. They are a fast grower and this one grew very quick which is why I suspect male.
It is all about how you handle your T's. I treat them all like they will kill me. So when I rehouse and feed I am always prepared for the worse. IMO if you can handle a P. cam then you are prepped for an old world. Sounds like you have been doing this for some time so you should be okay. Its all about patience and preparation.
I like to watch Tom Moran vids and see how he does his rehouses. He is very methodical. I watch any escape vids and cringe when I see them because I can tell it is not going to go well from the beginning.
I think a healthy fear and a respect for the T goes a long way. Go for it!!;)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Current count, not including babies I intend to sell off, leave me at 75 individual specimens across 52 different species. I'm more or less done actively adding to my personal collection until I send off some males as they mature and move out some of these slings.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I watch any escape vids and cringe when I see them because I can tell it is not going to go well from the beginning.
I think a healthy fear and a respect for the T goes a long way. Go for it!!;)
Haha. Yeah, I could probably handle a Singapore Blue (handle=care for -- NOT HOLD ONE); but I think, based on keeping the OBT and P cambri that the 'thrill' was a bit much on my nerves! You'd think I was dealing with toxic nuclear waste the way I dealt with their enclosures -- my heart rapidly beating, so fearful I'd goof and have an error in judgement -- then an escape.
I basically just had dumb luck with those two! And then, after all my scares and final adult rehousings? The speedy ungrateful things MMd on me. lol

If only I could order an adult female Singapore Blue, already housed in its permanent home -- then basic food drops I could handle. But unpacking one? Rehousing? :(

This hobby should be fun - not scary! I don't mind a mild thrill, but I don't want to fear a pet!!! When (if) the time feels right -- I'll get one.

[former arachnophobe]

Dman

Arachnosquire
Haha. Yeah, I could probably handle a Singapore Blue (handle=care for -- NOT HOLD ONE); but I think, based on keeping the OBT and P cambri that the 'thrill' was a bit much on my nerves! You'd think I was dealing with toxic nuclear waste the way I dealt with their enclosures -- my heart rapidly beating, so fearful I'd goof and have an error in judgement -- then an escape.
I basically just had dumb luck with those two! And then, after all my scares and final adult rehousings? The speedy ungrateful things MMd on me. lol

If only I could order an adult female Singapore Blue, already housed in its permanent home -- then basic food drops I could handle. But unpacking one? Rehousing? :(

This hobby should be fun - not scary! I don't mind a mild thrill, but I don't want to fear a pet!!! When (if) the time feels right -- I'll get one.

[former arachnophobe]
Nothing wrong with a healthy fear and being overly careful. You know your limits better than anyone. I did get my first threat pose from my O. violaceopes the other day and I will say it was intimidating.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I'd wager I've got the easiest to count collection around. 0.0.0

Anybody want to help me fix that?

(I'm not a T keeper, my teen son has been since he was about 6 though, and his mom has near crippling arachnophobia, so dad gets to help with unpacking, husbandry and rehousing - oh and of course PAYING FOR the hobby - lol)

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
I'd wager I've got the easiest to count collection around. 0.0.0

Anybody want to help me fix that?

(I'm not a T keeper, my teen son has been since he was about 6 though, and his mom has near crippling arachnophobia, so dad gets to help with unpacking, husbandry and rehousing - oh and of course PAYING FOR the hobby - lol)
I've found (as a dog person ) as a new T keeper this is probably the cheapest hobby I now have . It's really not bad !!

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Oh I didn't mean to imply that the costs are high, merely that I get to bear all of the costs without ACTUALLY being able to say I have even one T.
(But I am currently shopping for one or two or....??? for myself)

Dman

Arachnosquire
Oh I didn't mean to imply that the costs are high, merely that I get to bear all of the costs without ACTUALLY being able to say I have even one T.
(But I am currently shopping for one or two or....??? for myself)
I have kids also. I currently own a ferret, a large musical key board, gaming lap top, a college tuition, and an extra car. None of these are mine yet I pay for them all. I feel your pain my friend.

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Just 6 here. G. porteri, H. maculata, P. muticus, L. parahybana, and two S. calceatum I don't know if I'll get more, pretty happy with them at the moment. I think I'm going to just leave the door open for any rescues/rehomes over the years (MIL is a wildlife rehabilitator which is how we came across our first one, the G. porteri)

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Still got my little trio. A. chalcodes, G. rosea, B. hamorii. I would have at least two more if I had room.

sleepysling

Arachnopeon
Hello I'm new here! I have a juvenile G. pultripes and 2 B. albopilosum slings. They are so adorable!

SquidStina

Arachnopeon
9 Ts between my husband and I, and also 2 true spiders. I've only had Ts for about 2 years, most of them for less than a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Just updated with some new additions - probably the last for awhile.....had to use a calculator to count them:rolleyes:
NWs 103 T's - 65 different "types"*

OWs 70 T's - 41 different "types"
total 173 T's - 106 different "types"

Not going to list them all here - they're on my profiles' information page if you really want to know.

*Not calling them species as I'm counting A. brocklehursti and geniculata, Pterinochilus murinus 'tete' and 'usambara', etc. as different types